Kobelt Accu-Steer Power Assist Steering PA35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Used Kobelt for my Jog steering system . I simply turn on the pump and can either use my wheel or jog lever. I never use the wheel. Much easier on my back.

Used Kobelt for my Jog steering system . I simply turn on the pump and can either use my wheel or jog lever. I never use the wheel. Much easier on my back.

So you have this system? Did you do the install on it?

Ted

I’m not sure if you are installing new gear or replacing old. There is a bit of math you need to do first. If the pump does not have adjustable flow rate the you must select a pump that is dialed in for you steering system. Ideally you would want the pump to go lock to lock in about 7 seconds for a mid size boat and up to 15 sec. for a large boat. Mine is 7.5 sec. that’s about as fast as I can turn the wheel in an emergency situation. The pump you are looking at is 3.5 in’sec. that’s quick. I used a pump that size and found it way too jumpy. You must first find or determine your ram size. Divide the ram sq/in by 3.5 [ for that pump] to determine speed in seconds. Then decide on pump size. Some Kobelt have adjustable flow. That make things easier. Adjustable pressure is not the same.
712F410A-CA57-4277-9E77-3F8D0E108838.jpg

C6EA8E40-6387-4A3A-8879-A8BED37E4F9B.jpg

Has anybody had any experience with this:

http://www.kobelt.com/docs/default-...ts-(pds)/pa35-product-datasheet.pdf?sfvrsn=10

Basically power steering utilizing your existing helm. Capable of being the autopilot pump. Very customizable flow parameters and capable of adding one or more jog levers systems. If disabled, it allows your helm to operate as normal.

Ted
I have the big brother unit to this, although it looks about the same. Flawless for 14 years. Mine's bigger just to drive a bigger cylinder.

I’m not sure if you are installing new gear or replacing old. There is a bit of math you need to do first. If the pump does not have adjustable flow rate the you must select a pump that is dialed in for you steering system. Ideally you would want the pump to go lock to lock in about 7 seconds for a mid size boat and up to 15 sec. for a large boat. Mine is 7.5 sec. that’s about as fast as I can turn the wheel in an emergency situation. The pump you are looking at is 3.5 in’sec. that’s quick. I used a pump that size and found it way too jumpy. You must first find or determine your ram size. Divide the ram sq/in by 3.5 [ for that pump] to determine speed in seconds. Then decide on pump size. Some Kobelt have adjustable flow. That make things easier. Adjustable pressure is not the same.
View attachment 105378

View attachment 105379

Hi Arc,

It sounds like we're talking about to different pumps. This one (PA35) has a maximum flow rate or 3.5 cubic inches per second. There are 4 trim potentiometers in the electronic box to govern pump speeds, time delay between low and high speed, and autopilot / jog lever speed. The minimum adjusted speed is 20% of 3.5 cubic inches per second (0.7 in3/sec.). This isn't one of the autopilot pumps.

Ted

Are you guys sure you're not talking about more conventional steering pumps (plus job control) that work in parallel with the wheel pump? The PA35 is a bit of a unique beast, I think. It senses the flow from the wheel pump, and assists it with it's own pump. And it can also accept auto pilot control signals to steer without using the wheel.

Kobelt has a subset of this product that is just the sensing part that works in conjunction with a furuno pilot to steer via an AP steering pump. I pursued it a bit for my boat hoping to get power assist for wheel steering, but decided to defer since it was difficult to get sufficient info on it.

I have the big brother unit to this, although it looks about the same. Flawless for 14 years. Mine's bigger just to drive a bigger cylinder.

How would you describe the wheel turning effort with the unit engaged and in manual (bypass mode)? My hynautic system is a chore to steer with a big part of the problem being too small hoses between the helm and the cylinder (mine are 3/8", should be 1/2" or 5/8"). Hoses will get changed anyway, but thought this might be very nice also.

Ted

It's Kobelt it's not going to be cheap. It looks pretty cool, lots of adjustability, I wish I could afford one. The manual says minimum cylinder volume of 35 cu/in which is a good size cylinder. For reference I've a Kobelt 7040-12 cylinder, 2" diameter and 12" stroke, its volume is 32 cu/in. My assumption would be that the minimum cylinder recommendation is there because the PA35 minimum flow would still be too much for slow speed on a smaller cylinder.

Are you guys sure you're not talking about more conventional steering pumps (plus job control) that work in parallel with the wheel pump? The PA35 is a bit of a unique beast, I think. It senses the flow from the wheel pump, and assists it with it's own pump. And it can also accept auto pilot control signals to steer without using the wheel.

Kobelt has a subset of this product that is just the sensing part that works in conjunction with a furuno pilot to steer via an AP steering pump. I pursued it a bit for my boat hoping to get power assist for wheel steering, but decided to defer since it was difficult to get sufficient info on it.

Yes, I've been through the manual, several times. It very much mimics a car's power steering in that you have to turn the hydraulic helm pump to activate the electric pump to move the steer cylinder. In the assist mode, it's supposed to be like the rudder isn't connected to the steer cylinder.

While the owner's manual is very good, website information could be better. I ended up talking to one of their distributors in Florida today, and was able to get my questions answered. My plan if I go forward, is to leave the existing autopilot pump in place and use this system for power steering and maybe the jog lever at the docking station. I like the idea of redundancy except for the steer cylinder. Planning on sending the helm and cylinder out to be resealed since they're 18 years old now.

Ted

Last edited:
How would you describe the wheel turning effort with the unit engaged and in manual (bypass mode)? My hynautic system is a chore to steer with a big part of the problem being too small hoses between the helm and the cylinder (mine are 3/8", should be 1/2" or 5/8"). Hoses will get changed anyway, but thought this might be very nice also.

Ted

Fingertip effort.

It's Kobelt it's not going to be cheap. It looks pretty cool, lots of adjustability, I wish I could afford one. The manual says minimum cylinder volume of 35 cu/in which is a good size cylinder. For reference I've a Kobelt 7040-12 cylinder, 2" diameter and 12" stroke, its volume is 32 cu/in. My assumption would be that the minimum cylinder recommendation is there because the PA35 minimum flow would still be too much for slow speed on a smaller cylinder.

The unit is $1,600. I thought that was a deal. Rebuilding the helm, cylinder, some new hose, a box of fittings, and some wiring, all in $3,000+/-.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom