Just saved myself $1000.00 I should buy myself something!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
The fresh water pump had been coming occasionally, and a bilge pump once in a while. After checking all the bilges I found a little water in the engine room bilge pump area, and moped it dry with a sponge. The next morning there was water their again so now I knew the general area to be looking. While sitting there thinking about it I noticed a small drip coming from the bottom of the hot water tank. Oh man, how much is this going to cost?

I checked every where on the internet and they were running $900.00 to $1300.00 for a Raritan 20 gallon water heater. That put's a big dent in the yearly maintenance budget!! So I just thought about it for a few days. These tanks have a anode in them. Could that be the cause? No idea how long it has been in there. Maybe the sealant on one of the fittings has failed? I felt around all of them but could not feel any water. For about 4 days I went down there and felt all the fittings. No leaks.

The internet said these are a good quality tank and they have a ceramic liner in them. Maybe the tank is not leaking. Also, the water dripping out is cold, not warm, which you would think it would be if it was leaking out of the tank.

Finally, on the other side of the tank ,I found a little water on one of the plastic Pex fitting for the cold water going into the tank. The water would run down the fitting and in between the tank and the outer plastic cover of the tank, then out the other side of the tank, making it look like the tank was leaking. What a relief.

So I ordered a anode ( it needed it)from Fisheries Supply in Seattle and picked up some new fittings at the local hardware store and fixed it .

I'm thinking I deserve some new fishing tackle, or maybe some new tools. Perhaps some new clothes or, just go out for a nice dinner. Maybe even a new anchor!! What kind do you guys think I should get?

BUY A BOAT AND HAVE FUN!!!

Tackle. No doubt about it.

Or beer.

Put the $1000 back in the maintenance budget...I would bet in the next 51 weeks, you will find you need it. Sorry...that's boating too.

I would suggest you keep Pex piping away from your water tank (18" is standard) if the temperatures go anywhere near 200 degrees. High temperatures could be the cause of the leaky fittings. YMMV

Dancing girls!

giphy.gif

I would suggest you keep Pex piping away from your water tank (18" is standard) if the temperatures go anywhere near 200 degrees. High temperatures could be the cause of the leaky fittings. YMMV

...and you likely have a coolant loop from the main to the water heater. My coolant runs 180 - pretty close margin there.i

Nice work on the diagnosis!

And thanks for reminding me to check my anode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom