Old 06-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Jabsco 37010-Peggie Help!

Working on friends 37010. Installed "updated" rebuild kit. Some questions:

1. Flushes fine, plenty of water, but water doesn't swirl all around inside bowl. I cleaned all the holes. Little effect. Lots of water in the back of the bowl, just not up front. Could it be I have the impeller installed backwards?

2. Once flushed the water left in the bowl "bleeds down" to the bottom. The kit came with two rubber gaskets. One black ring and the other a white bigger rubber gasket. The parts blow up/instructions does not show the white gasket. Do I use this gasket? What else could cause the bowl to bleed off?

Thank you

Tom
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
Guru

So I talked to Crusty and he tells me his bowl drains too, no water in the bowl. I installed a new duckbill.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: AR
I don't think you've installed the impeller backwards. I'm not even sure that's possible.

Marine toilets, except for the high end all china "thrones," aren't designed to bring in water and hold it in the bowl...and there's a very good reason: being tossed around in heavy seas, or even by wake can send water in a toilet bowl all over the head.

However, optional flush "buttons" are available--and are easy to retrofit--that provide 3 flush options: add water ahead of the flush, flush without adding water, do both simultaneously. But even if you have one, water won't stay in the bowl long. It'll still seep when the joker valve (aka "duckbill") is brand new, but very slowly. But as flushes go through it, they gradually stretch the slit, allowing water to seep out...faster and faster as the toilet is used. After about a year, the slit becomes a hole--sooner if the toilet gets a lot of use.

It's very good idea to add water to the bowl ahead of solid waste...leaves the bowl a LOT cleaner with very little flushing. If you don't have one of those optional flush rocker switches, use a cup to add water from the sink ahead of use. Or...you can just replace the joker valve at least once a month.

As for your black gasket and white gasket...it's really impossible to know which gaskets/o-rings each on is from black and white drawing in the owners manual. So I'm gonna refer you to Paul Campagna, Jabsco's toilet guru. His direct # is 978.282.5246 You might also want to ask him about the 3 way flush switch.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Jabsco macerating toilets do not swirl like a household toilet. If ALL the rim holes are clear (does not sound like they are clear) then there is not enough flush water coming in. In this head its a balancing act. It has to pump out slightly more than it pumps in. When the seal between the IN and OUT sides fails, waste solids get pumped though the "clean" flush path. All kinds of growth and solids gets stuck in there. Don't ask how I know! YUK! There is a hose connection directly to the rim. You can temporarily jury rig it to a garden hose to flush.

The bleed down can only be one of two things. The outlet waste line goes straight downhill to the holding tank- gravity drains it directly, or there is a siphon effect pulling the contents out of the bowl. Try moving the outlet line so that it goes up an inch or two before going down to the tank. This should trap some water at the base of the head. You can't count on the joker valve to hold water in the bowl. It won't seal that tight in the normal flow direction.
Good luck.
BTW we replaced both Jabscos with Raritan heads. One manual PHC, one Marine Elegance for diversity. We use the ME 99.9% of the time.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Guru

Thank you all. I guess it is what it is. I'm use to vacu-flush heads, so this is a differant for me.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
What Peggy said. After noticing the water draining faster than normal, I installed new joker valves on both heads. Though it did slow down the draining, after awhile they both would empty. As Peggy said, the slits will drain.
If you dont see leaks then the only place it can go is through the Duckbill, or as Jabsco calls it “Joker Valve”.
Now when the forward head started not draining, we had bigger issues. Had to remove the drain line and beat it on the dock to break up the Crystals, not sure of the technical nomenclature, but we were back to normal fairly quickly and the water started to drain from the bowl like normal.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote