Incinolet toilet practicality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that another area of let's not worry about it because it's too hard to fix?

Not too hard to fix...too expensive to fix. Most municipal sewage systems are 50+ years old and populations of the cities, especially those in the northeast, have grown exponentially, overloading and outgrowing what their sewage systems and treatment plants can handle. And as the cities have grown, "stuff" is going down drains that never used to--never existed before. It's all they can afford just to repair breaks and clear clogs...there's no money left to expand and upgrade. This is partly due to increased demand but also fiscal mismanagement, especially the larger cities. As a result, more than 100 east coast municipal sewers and sewage treatment plants were granted waivers by the EPA that allow them to continue to operate at all.

It's worst on the northeast part of the east coast, but west coast markets have their share of problems too. Several years ago a list of the 10 dirtiest harbors in the US was published...Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island CA--the last place you'd expect--was #1 on that list. The sewer infrastructure on the island is in such bad shape that more than 95% of the sewage goes into the water "raw."

Key West FL had a problem ...their system discharged sewage (not sure whether treated or not) into the ocean via a pipe that was barely a mile long. They were able to solve it by adding at least another couple of miles to the pipe.

'Twould be nice if environmentalists and politicians put some effort into solving all these problems instead of simply targeting boat owners who flush less toilet waste and discharge less gray water in a year than the average household sends into the sewers systems in a day.

--Peggie

Is that another area of let's not worry about it because it's too hard to fix?

Not too hard to fix...too expensive to fix. Most municipal sewage systems are 50+ years old and populations of the cities, especially those in the northeast, have grown exponentially, overloading and outgrowing what their sewage systems and treatment plants can handle. And as the cities have grown, "stuff" is going down drains that never used to--never existed before. It's all they can afford just to repair breaks and clear clogs...there's no money left to expand and upgrade. This is partly due to increased demand but also fiscal mismanagement, especially the larger cities. As a result, more than 100 east coast municipal sewers and sewage treatment plants were granted waivers by the EPA that allow them to continue to operate at all.

It's worst on the northeast part of the east coast, but west coast markets have their share of problems too. Several years ago a list of the 10 dirtiest harbors in the US was published...Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island CA--the last place you'd expect--was #1 on that list. The sewer infrastructure on the island is in such bad shape that more than 95% of the sewage goes into the water "raw."

Key West FL had a problem ...their system discharged sewage (not sure whether treated or not) into the ocean via a pipe that was barely a mile long. They were able to solve it by adding at least another couple of miles to the pipe.

'Twould be nice if environmentalists and politicians put some effort into solving all these problems instead of simply targeting boat owners who flush less toilet waste and discharge less gray water in a year than the average household sends into the sewers systems in a day.

--Peggie

Expensive to fix = hard to fix. Hard for a town or city or even a state to invest that much $$$ in infrastructure and pay for it. Maybe with the severeal trillions being debated right now, there will be money to tackle this, but I suspect not because sewage is not as attractive a political issue as green energy for example. Even though it would have a very positive impact on the enviroment along our coastlines. It's more fun to talk about electric powered airliners, etc.

And you are so correct about boat owners vs. households. On a boat you learn to shower and wash dishes with a very minimum amount of water that ends up going overboard. But how often to households care about the 30 min shower their teenager routinely takes (other than utility bills)? Or how often you run your diswasher, clothes washer, etc. True story, my son was notorious for taking long showers. He had a friend stay over at our house and after the 2 morning showers seemed never-ending, I went in the basement and slowly turned off the hot water!

Last edited:
There are many more upsides to...ummm...sitting downsides...other than being more secure in a seaway.

For years I advised my older male patients, who often had to take several trips during the night, complicated by time to empty, (those damned prostates :)), to just sit down..! No need to put on the blinding light, or flush, and less danger of 'missing', and much easier to get back to sleep not having lost one's 'night vision', and less disturbance to partner. Nowhere is it graven in a tablet of stone that men must stand to urinate..! :D

I don’t think this sitting to to pee thing works. I mean, like who is going to raise the seat back to the up position where it belongs??

Surely we males can’t be expected to do this.

Do the make spring loaded seats that just pop up?

You DO know that the whole 'sit to pee' movement is a plot to MAKE men put the seat down. The rationale being, if he can't remember to put it back down after use, he's not likely to raise it before sitting down to pee more than once.

Therefore, since he always leaves the seat where he put it to use the toilet, wives win the toilet seat war without firing a single shot.

--Peggie

Where, oh where has my thread gone?

Sigh...I tried to introduce an element of logic and rationality to this subject - failed again. :facepalm:

Re Gray water tanks:

My 2003 42 Nordic Tug came to me with a fairly good sized gray water tank. If I am in a marina that says “no suds” AND I am very careful, I can turn off the auto pump for that tank and pump the Gray water out after I leave the marina…. But, I am the only one using water, so it can be done. With multiple people on board it’s probably not workable.

Once again Peggy you misread my view point. I wasn’t supporting a grey water mandate. Just theorizing what the future may bring and what it may mean for new boat construction and marine sanitation devices.

Returning to the OP. There’s a waterline 40 on yacht world with an incinolet. So given this is a small used boat it would seem it’s doable. Have cruised in environments from having a pump out sticker on the boat where the pump out boat comes by weekly(or more often with a call or hanging a flag out) and routinely empties the tank(s) to where holding tanks aren’t used at all. The basic technology of the incinolet hasn’t changed in decades. Still wondering if there any advances in our future. There’s a lot of waste heat generated in the typical cruiser. Perhaps using that and/or heat pumps to achieve some measure of preheating before just draining down the batteries to effect evaporation would decrease draw. Perhaps an engineer posting here would like to chime in on the practicalities. Yes there are environmentalists who want us to use a sledgehammer to drive in a small screw but see future regulations as likely coming.

Last edited:
How much additional power would a battery bank need to run a cycle of the toilet, when the toilet uses 1.5-2 Kwh/per? I do not know how to translate Kwh to Amps & Volts, altho I do know Watts = Amps x Volts. If you need more info, let me know. Basically, would you have an Incinolet on your boat?

Not sure if you're still researching Incinolets but for what it might be worth, I recently ran across an Incinolet (Van install) video via youtube and thought it might actually help. That said, the video doesn't really go into a lot of technical detail but you could contact the channel owner and see what he has to say about the unit and how he went about setting up - Cheers!

I've had my Incinolets for 10+ years. I'll never have another marine toilet.

I've had my Incinolets for 10+ years. I'll never have another marine toilet.

Dear Wheeler owner Lepke... Your thumbs-up input got me watching videos regarding Incinolet toilets. Pretty cool!

When not tied to a dock, with elect pwr... How do you power your Incinolet's 1.5 +/- hr. per "flush" burn sequence? Gen set running that long??

Seems if there were a few persons aboard the gen set might get quite a few run hours per day. :confused:

Also - Where does your Incinolet venting go off the boat? Care to share any photos?

Last edited:
I have a 8d battery bank that will supply my inverter easily a day with people on board. 3+ days alone. Every 2-3 days I run a generator for a few hours to make water, heat water, laundry, etc.. while recharging the bank. Or I move and recharge with alternators on the mains. Since the inverter, I never run the generators while cruising and maybe once a day with lots of people. The inverter has cut generator time by about 80%. When I bought the boat, the way it was set up, I had to run a generator almost all the time.
The main changes I made was diesel stove or induction in place of an electric stove, Incinolet toilets, bigger battery bank, from 12v to 48v, added 48v alternators to mains and removed one head & shower. I have a house DD reefer, bar cooler and 2 freezers that are always on.
I try to time the need for hot water to when the generator is running but can use the inverter. Water heater is 50 gallon home style. Super insulated so hot water with limited use lasts 2-3 days. Alone, I can shower for 3 days. Diesel stove has a coil the heats the hot water tank when running. I'm in the PNW and mostly like Canada and Alaska and avoid hot weather so rarely need AC. Nice thing about inverters, it switches over from shore power to generator or inverter without a laps or spike in power. Don't have to reset clocks, etc. Inverter will also start a generator if the bank gets low.
Incinolets are in the lower deck inside the hull and go up two decks and vent to the side. I use a bilge blower in the line to make up for the longer pipe. I use 3" plastic pipe (installation calls for 4") and that's part of the reason for the inline blower. Blower is at the top. It also helps push the fumes away from the side. On the hook or cruising fumes not a problem.

Last edited:
Nice set up! Thanks for thorough depiction! - Art

Or...if the power drain of your incinerator loo is a bit much, what about this amazing Aussie invention..? (Shamelessly lifted from a recent post in Humor by BruceK.)

Sorry to the OP. I couldn't help it. I plead insanity...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.10.54 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.10.54 pm.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
Would an oxy acetylene torch aimed directly at the "Bondi cigar/blind mullet" for say 10 seconds do the job as well and faster without electricity consumption?

Back
Top Bottom