Hydraulic Transom Platform Fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwiggl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cady Girl
Vessel Make
Californian, Seaswirl, Brig, all others sold.
The question: What grade of Hydraulic Fluid should I use for my transom platform?

I am considering fluids that are eco-friendly having seen what a hose leak can do....(saying no more) So would it be safe to mix with what is already in there? Is the eco-juice going to hold up long term?

The previous owner had it installed about 15 years ago by a high end fabricator in south Florida. They did a nice job, but they don't feel inclined to respond to my information inquiries: pump manufacturer, fluid grade, etc. I have to replace the external fluid hoses (some underwater) and the pump reservoir. Worst case, I can repair the reservoir, and the hoses are easy. But then the fluid needs to be right to protect the system.
And yes, the modern boat lifts are much simpler these days.
Thanks for your advice.
D

When I had a boat with several hydraulic systems my solution was to use ATF which was
also spec'ed for the boat's transmission. I think I used the same ATF in the steering, too.

A transom platform is a pretty low pressure, low stress system so the oil isn't critical.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. Take a sample and send to a lab. They should be able to give you an idea of the oil type . Just tell them on the form why and what you are looking for.

Otherwise any good hydraulic oil should be suitable.

Hydraulic systems can use other than the typical mineral oil based oils BUT they may need to be changed very often and don't like being mixed. Sometimes special seals need to be used including in the pump.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom