Hydraulic Steering Ram????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traderjoe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lele Wai
Vessel Make
1980 Chun Wah
Where can I buy a new steering ram???

I am running a Wagner Model 701 system

Aloha and Mahalo!

Joe

Unless you have damaged the ram you should be able to rebuild it for about $50.00 worth of parts, O rings and seals.
Actually I am being very generous if you have a good seal house nearby. I don't, although my supplier can get them but it is not an item they deal with often so it costs a bit more.

They are not hard to take apart. Any decent hydraulics shop should be able to strip it down and reseal it. Now you just have to pay for the labour time.

Last edited:
Unless you have damaged the ram you should be able to rebuild it for about $50.00 worth of parts, O rings and seals.
Actually I am being very generous if you have a good seal house nearby. I don't, although my supplier can get them but it is not an item they deal with often so it costs a bit more.

They are not hard to take apart. Any decent hydraulics shop should be able to strip it down and reseal it. Now you just have to pay for the labour time.

Thank you but the unit is corroded and leaking.

Joe

"Thank you but the unit is corroded and leaking."

If the shaft is OK the unit can usually be rebuilt, if it has spent time underwater , a new unit is best.

If the shaft have any nicks or burrs, any new seal may be compromised and start leaking again.
"Thank you but the unit is corroded and leaking."

If the shaft is OK the unit can usually be rebuilt, if it has spent time underwater , a new unit is best.

Where is it corroded.? If it is just the outside housing that is not a problem. The brass/bronze body will corrode and is absolutely normal if it gets wet. Even the atmosphere will corrode it somewhat.

If the rods are corroded then the chrome plating has been compromised/damaged which may be more serious.

BUT you need to actually closely examine the rods for corrosion or damage. If none shows then reseal it.

I too have a Wagner system. Mine is on the bench for a reseal when I get time. THe one in the boat is weeping. THe seal cost I quoted is from about two weeks ago so is current.

You should be able to examine quite well while it is still in the boat with a flashlight and a mirror. Or simply dismount it from the pivots and examine it that way but leave the hoses connected so it doesn't leak and get are into the system.
If you can't see it then you must pull the cylinder and have a look as they used several different cylinders.

Is there a label with a model number on it? What is it?

Take a couple GOOD photos and post them.

Last edited:
Not exactly the same, but I just rebuilt my Seastar hydraulic ram. It was pretty easy, considering I've never done it before. The instructions with the seal kit were OK, good enough to get someone with middle of the road skills (like me) through it. The worst part was when I was disassembling and slid the shaft in...it puked hydraulic fluid all over me.

I did have a very small rub, not rough enough to call scoring, very near one end of the shaft. I put that spot on a felt wheel on the bench grinder and it came smooth. I may foul up the new seals, but a new ram is around $700 and the seal kit was around $30, so I figure it is worth trying. Plus I learned how to rebuild one.

It's not leaking so far.

A few photos might tell us which cylinder you have. I looked up your posted Wagner model number but that is simply for the pump on the dash the wheel is mounted to.

It does not show the cylinder/ram. Wagner used a lot of different cylinders and over the years they changed from what I have to a different mounting system. It all makes a difference.

Otherwise just google Wagner Steering and see if you can spot your cylinder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom