Hydraulic steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipe Dream

Hello all , need advice on my steering. I replaced the seal on my SeaStar cylinder filled and bled both helms , I took my MS 390 out for 1st time and experienced way too much play in the wheels as a matter of fact almost went into docked boats in the channel any ideas as to why the big play in the steering thank you

Confirm that all of your linkages are snug all the way down to your steering posts. Could autopilot be interfering some ?

Most likely air in the system. Air compresses so when turning the wheel the air has to reach a high compression before pushing the oil toward the cylinder. Usually it keeps the rudder from reaching full rudder position and it makes rudder changes slower.

View attachment Hynautic_3-line_bleed.pdf

What bleeding process did you follow? How is your system configured, one or two helms?

I forget which company bought which or what name each steering system used to be called, but I've attached an example of proper procedures for bleeding a specific 2-helm hydraulic steering system. The bleeding process takes time, and it's obvious as one goes through it when progress is being made and when the process has been successful.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Greg.

Back
Top Bottom