Hydraulic oil weeping from steering wheel on lower helm station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check McMaster catalog and do a search for 'sintered filters'. There some listed as mufflers and some as vented plugs. Mostly inch sizes but some metric. I'm not sure about whether the plugs are inch or metric.

Bob

This thread reminded me of the hydraulic problems that Bill Bishop (Marine Installer's Rant) experienced with check valves a couple of months ago.

This isn't rocket science, but I strongly suggest that you test any "innovations" thoroughly before heading out. Lock-to-lock at both helms, et cetera.

I have replaced the shaft seals on both helms now and we went for a sea trial yesterday for over an hour and I can report that both seals were working and the weeping has now stopped. I have not yet drilled the plug on the upper helm.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

according to the PDF manual of the Capilano system, the upper helm should have one.

Jim

Jumping in a little late but I'm having helm problems and wondering if you can tell me where to get a copy of the PDF?

Rick

Google capilano teleflex and hydraulic steering. Sorry. I'm in the middle of nowhere with intermittent internet.

Jim

Jim[/QUOTE]

Google capilano teleflex and hydraulic steering. Sorry. I'm in the middle of nowhere with intermittent internet.

Jim

Got it, thanks

I can report that this "O" ring replacement the steering shafts on both helm stations fixed the weeping hydraulic oil problem. This fix on the difficulty meter was a 2/10.

Jim

One of my upper helm plugs is plastic with a vent hole. I seem to remember the installation instructions calling for the vented plug on the upper helm. There is a download available on the teleflex site if you google capilano helm. It's on my laptop, I'll see if I can post it later. Good job on the o - ring fix. They sell a seal kit for alot more money.

I bought the seal kit and it did NOT include the O-ring. According to the manual I have there is NO vent plug. The air space in the upper helm pump provides enough space for thermal expansion. I have posted the reference previously and will not do so again. Feel free to install a vent plug.

Bob

After cruising for over 8 weeks this summer, I can report that there is no hydraulic oil weeping from the steering shafts, so the repair of the seal appears to work just fine. We use the autopilot extensively. I now avoid "hanging onto the wheel" in rough seas.

The PDF manual I have indicates that the upper helm has a vented plug, which I did not have. As suggests by "shoal waters" (above) I drilled two small holes at 90 degrees in one of the plugs on the upper helm to provide a vented fitting. I know there are different opinions on this. I guess there is concern that dirt may enter the system through the vent, but I decided to follow my gut on this one.

Jim

Last edited:
Mine has a red plastic plug with a small hole in it. Unless it's exposed directly to the elements (and it's not being under the flybridge) I can't imagine any contamination.

I went through the manual and it refers to a vent plug, needs to be removed to vent the system, nowhere does it refer to a venting plug. But if you prefer to vent your system and allow dust and moisture into it, drill away.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom