Hurricane Diesel Heater Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think reliable heaters should have minimal repair issues that are logging around 1000 hrs a year.

At 500 hours a year...it is almost underused to stay reliable.

My Wallas has required about 1 hr cleaning per year and a couple inexpensive parts over a 7 year period and now has a little over 3700 hours on it.

I would hope the ITR with its reputation would be just as reliable.

I just took one of my Wallace heaters out of service and replaced it with the new viking unit.

The old furnace had over 27,000 hours on it.

I’ll be replacing another one this year with similar hours.

What a GREAT service life. Yes like anything they need their maintenance, but to get that kind of life out of something is Amazing!

Hurricane Diesel Heater

We have a hurricane diesel heater on our new to us 2002 trawler. The previous 2 owners did not use it, so it has been idle for about 10 years. I reconnected the remote, switched on the main panel switch, opened the valve for the fuel and removed the air intake cover from the exterior of the house.
When I switch if on nothing happens, no lights, no sound, nothing. Is there something else needing to be turned on, like a breaker maybe?

Which model Hurricane?

Normally you have to power up the circuit, then switch on the service switch on its control box (separately mounted SS box on most models). You should then hear it immediately do a purge cycle: the burner fan will run for 2 minutes I think, even if no thermostat is calling for heat. There should also be an LED display on that box with indications of what it is doing. If nothing at all (no noise, no lights) you might check if power is actually getting there.

Beyond that, the manual has some debug information, and if you call ITR tech support they are generally very generous with their time, for free. Manuals can also be downloaded from their website free.

We have a hurricane diesel heater on our new to us 2002 trawler. The previous 2 owners did not use it, so it has been idle for about 10 years. I reconnected the remote, switched on the main panel switch, opened the valve for the fuel and removed the air intake cover from the exterior of the house.

When I switch if on nothing happens, no lights, no sound, nothing. Is there something else needing to be turned on, like a breaker maybe?
I suspect the service switch is off or a breaker is off. Once you have power to the unit I would treat startup of a system idle for 10 yrs as a new installation first startup. Download the manuals and follow the procedures for bleeding both the hydronic loops and the fuel system.

As old as yours is yours is you may have the old style compressor and need to upgrade it.

There is no breaker labeled heater…switched on every breaker and switched on the power on the unit itself. Nothing. No lights, no sounds. Will download a manual and check that. No manual on the boat. I was hoping it would work once I connected the relay wire to the remote and switched it on…wishful thinking! There is no identification of the model we have, it just says Hurricane a diesel hot water heating system. Looks like the first owner used it quite a bit, 2277 hours. She was built in Vancouver. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Take a multimeter and see if you have 12+volts power at the hurricane. If no power there then follow the wires until you find the reason for no power. Could be as simple as a switch in the engine room that is in the off position.

Tiltrider is probably right. An open circuit, no power to the unit.

To determine which Hurricane you have it should have some numbers somewhere on the unit. H2C or something like that. It is likely to be a small label or tag. No model name or anything you might expect to see. Failing that go to the ITR web site itrheat.com and look around. They have good info on older units including pix to help you sort it out. If you need to call 1-800-755-1272 and ask for Marcello. He's been at ITR since the beginning and is extremely knowlegable and helpful. Marcello is in British Columbia. You'll be buying any parts needed from the Vancouver Washington outfit or another US dealer / installer. Kevin in Vacouver Washington is equally knowledable but not as helpful or friendly.

Another path is to search out an RV outfitter near you who handles Hurricane. The units are very popular in the bigger RVs.

Good advice above.

ITR says that the power to the heater should not be switched because damage to the heater can occur when not properly cycled down. The installation instructions specify a fused connection directly to the battery, bypassing the breaker panel and disconnect switch.

I agree that checking for 12v at the unit is a good starting point. If it's been sitting idle for ten years it could well have been disconnected, either deliberately or inadvertently.

Hurricane Heater fan motor

Hi I looked thru old posts can’t find anything. Here’s my question I have a 99 Serengeti with a Hurricane Heater Model CO45D. I’m looking for a part number/crossed reference my fan motor is gone the original part number is 6011. Thanks in advance

Hi I looked thru old posts can’t find anything. Here’s my question I have a 99 Serengeti with a Hurricane Heater Model CO45D. I’m looking for a part number/crossed reference my fan motor is gone the original part number is 6011. Thanks in advance

Contact ITR in Richmond BC.

When you get your new part # from ITR BC 1 800 755 1272 ask for Marcello, he's very helpful. You'll likely have to buy on the US side of the border. Company policy. ITR BC should be able to provide you with contact for local suppliers. If no joy there look to RV service centers. Hurricanes are more popular in RVs than on boats.

Contact ITR in Richmond BC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom