Hot water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Duck44

I am shopping for a smallish hot water heater. Some have stainless tanks, some aluminum.

Any opinions on which tank material is to be preferred?

Thanks,
Richard

Stainless. Aluminum will probably exceed the US National Drinking Water Standards for aluminum in drinking water. I don’t know the standards in Australia.

I have aluminum fresh-water tanks. I collected an aliquat of water and sent the sample to a certified laboratory for metals analysis. The results for aluminum were quite high.

Stainless. Aluminum will probably exceed the US National Drinking Water Standards for aluminum in drinking water. I don’t know the standards in Australia.

I have aluminum fresh-water tanks. I collected an aliquat of water and sent the sample to a certified laboratory for metals analysis. The results for aluminum were quite high.
Except that usually you do not really drink water from your heater :)

L

True! However, it’s still part of the fresh water system.

Very pleased with the IsoTemp SPA series of water heaters. Exterior is Poly, tank is Stainless.

Thanks for your comments. Kchase, I have just about settled on an Iso Temp Spa.
I think a stainless tank would be a better bet than aluminium - certainly have a better warranty!

I have a Raritan water heater with a glass lines steel tank. After 20 years it still works perfectly and the hot water is fine.

Very pleased with the IsoTemp SPA series of water heaters. Exterior is Poly, tank is Stainless.

+1, I just installed one of these. So far so good, it’s round and lays on its side. Heated by AC and/or the engine. Has an anti-scald valve.

I’m a fan of the ISO Temp Spa as well. They come with a mixing valve that lets you set the temperature higher than normally would be safe. The valve mixes cold water with the hot and brings it down to a safe temperature. The effect is you can get more hot water than you would expect from the size of the tank.

I hate aluminum water heaters. They fail quicker than stainless or glass lined tanks and if you ever cut one open, there is a strange snot like substance on the tank walls.

My old company sells them: Isotherm SPA Water Heaters

ISO temp spa for all the reasons others have given. Stands up to the demands of a full time liveaboard.

Just remember in a pinch the water in the HW tank , may become your drinking water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom