Hot Cold Shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
I had the old leaking hot water heater replaced with an identical heater. Removed the expansion tank from the water pump discharge system because the water pump is one of the new Shurflow models that recommends no expansion tank. The only other change was removing a brass fitting that was screwed into the top of a pipe tee because it did not look like it served any purpose in the hot water discharge from the heater. The fitting looked like a valve bonnet with a stem but the bottom internal end had nothing in it. Seaward instruction said to hook up the water inlet and outlets with 1/2" NPT pipe nipples which was done. Has anyone had this problem ?

What is the problem or did I miss something?

When using the shower the water temperature alternates from hot to cold continuously.

Last edited:
I wonder if you still have air in your lines.

No we purged out all the air by opening all the hot water faucets after the hot water heater was installed. One additional problem is a chatter or slight water hammer when a faucet is closed. I saved the mystery fitting that we unscrewed from the top of the pipe tee and if no other causes explain the problems can be reinstalled.
Possible fixes might be to adjust the water pump discharge pressure on the possibility that the pressure of the cold water entering the heater is to high and causing temperature layers in the 6 gallon tank, I think that's a stretch but looking for anyone who has had this problem and what was the fix.

Does this occur only at the shower, or does the galley sink do the same thing?

Ted

It only occurs when mixing the hot and cold water in the shower.

Last edited:
It only occurs when mixing the hot and cold water in the shower.

Ok, then it doesn't sound like it's related to the water heater. Does the shower have a tempering or anti scalding valve?

Ted

No Ted, but the brass fitting I described in my #1 post could be one I guess as It is the only change to the system other than removing the expansion tank and of course installing the new hot water heater. The brass or bronze fitting looked like a valve bonnet with a stem on top and had pipe threads on the bottom that screwed into the top of a pipe tee. The bottom end was hollow, no stem or anything visible in it and did not have a water source fitting as most tempering valves have. I guess I will reinstall it and see if it cures the problem, maybe it is an oriental tempering valve.
Any Manatee owners have this fitting ?

The problem could be the hot water has more pressure than the cold you may need a thermal mixer not just a tap mixer .

Bill: looked through my archive of water systems on Manatees and saw nothing, but I climbed under my galley and looked at my original equipment system (yeah, even the hot water heater) and there it was....some kind of thingy on top of the hot water exit from the heater, looking approx like your description. If it's on mine, it must have been for something. I thought it was a bleed device.

Thanks Larry, I will reinstall the "thing" once I get to the boat and chalk it up as it being an inscrutable oriental wisdom fitting and hope that since it's as old as the boat that it keeps working.

The "thing" as it turns out had nothing to do with the problem. I had a plumber look at the "thing" and he was correct it has nothing to do with the problem and had no idea what it function might be. The problem with the hot cold shower was traced to a flow restrictor in the shower head that had dislodged in the shower head. The new style Shurflow Revolution pump was sensing the restriction because the Manatee is a small hard piped system which caused the flow of hot water to pulse. So Larry if and when you change out your hot water heater you can feel free to remove the "thing" .

Bill: You still can't be sure what the thing is for. I removed mine and now the boat has a 3 inch list to port. Thanks for passing on the info.

Come on guys, you can't let this thread die without showing us a picture of the Thing.

I'll wager on pressure regulator too.

Maybe these guys might know... ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441167336.394960.jpg

HIDHO
Are you saying that the shower head was the problem, I have the same problem.

Check valve? Took mine off when new tank installed as not needed, maybe needed if hooked up to dock water though, which I never do.

Why remove the expansion tank again?

Most likely it is a thermal pressure relief valve. When or if the water heater fails to turn off when the temp reaches a set point the pressure and temp. will increase triggering the relief valve to open and reducing the pressure building in the water heater.

No, it has a relief valve mounted on the front of the heater. It also has no visible moving parts other than a typical valve stem, mine had no hand wheel. The bottom has pipe threads below the bonnet and inside there is the base of the stem with nothing attached to it. Larry you are going to have to photograph yours as mine has disappeared, the installer I used for the hot water heater was going to save mine to try and find out what it is but it has disappeared from his work truck. The mystery continues!!

Kartracer the flow restrictor that caused the hot cold water is in a telephone type shower head. On ours you screw off the shower head and it sits in a recess in the middle of the rubber seal washer, it had turned sideways and went part way up the handle. (photos). The plumber/boater friend told me the new style Shurflow revolution pump would sense the alternating restriction from the restrictor plus you always close down on the hot water valve when mixing to get the right temperature in the shower and go into a run/ bypass mode causing the fluctuation in the hot water supply.
Sunchaser we have a check valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water heater to prevent hot water back flowing into the cold water piping. during the heater install we checked to make sure it was in good shape and functional. Expansion tank removed as it will cause the new type Shurflow pumps to hunt and not have a clean shut down as per the pump instruction sheet.
I thought to remove the flow restrictor which gives a great flow from the shower head but with a 6 gallon hot water heater the nice warm shower might not last very long. I'm Navy trained and still do the get wet, soap, rinse routine. Plus "Hollywood type showers" don't get you any cleaner.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom