Hose Clamp Specs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
What are recommended*marine*specs for hose clamps?

Material?

Source...Home Depot / Lowes or WM / similar?

Length of tag end when tighten down around a hose on fitting?

Anything else the uninformed*should know?

Hose clamps must be only marine grade all stainless steel, non perforated, lined, with minimal "razor sharp" ends sticking out, covered with plastic end caps, double clamped on any thru hull application, spring loaded for applications with temperature changes, checked for tightness daily, changed monthly, (just in case) installed with inch pound torquemeter to exactly the right torque, and certified by 2 mechanics. "I knew a guy who's cousin had a friend that didn't do this exact thing and his boat blew up, sank and burned to the waterline because he bought a hardware store clamp." When the ABYC police came by they were so distracted by my neighbors half nekkid 18 year old daughter that they forgot to look at my hose clamps.

Or maybe you could use hardware store clamps, check them as your experience indicates they need checked, replaced when rusty, and tightened to a common sense tightness.

Please check that your computer has the sarcasm/humor font installed when reading this post. I've used hardware store clamps for 32 years now on my boats and haven't had any hose clamp related problems. I've changed rusty ones and been cut by sharp ones.

Ken

Any hose clamp that is attracted to a magnet shouldn't be on a boat.

2bucks wrote:
Hose clamps must be only marine grade all stainless steel, non perforated, lined, with minimal "razor sharp" ends sticking out, covered with plastic end caps, double clamped on any thru hull application, spring loaded for applications with temperature changes, checked for tightness daily, changed monthly, (just in case) installed with inch pound torquemeter to exactly the right torque, and certified by 2 mechanics. "I knew a guy who's cousin had a friend that didn't do this exact thing and his boat blew up, sank and burned to the waterline because he bought a hardware store clamp." When the ABYC police came by they were so distracted by my neighbors half nekkid 18 year old daughter that they forgot to look at my hose clamps.

Or maybe you could use hardware store clamps, check them as your experience indicates they need checked, replaced when rusty, and tightened to a common sense tightness.

Please check that your computer has the sarcasm/humor font installed when reading this post. I've used hardware store clamps for 32 years now on my boats and haven't had any hose clamp related problems. I've changed rusty ones and been cut by sharp ones.

Ken

Now that's funny right there!!!:biggrin:

2bucks wrote:

Ken
*Well done, 2bucks.* Very funny stuff right there...no matter where you're from!!*

ON plastic or rubber good marine hose clamps make sleeping at night easier , esp if the boat is unoccupied.

For Silicon hoses the proper $10. each clamp is a requirement .

I've bought some of the cheaper clamps at certain "home improvement stores"....and had to replace them sooner than expected. I buy most of my clamps from NAPA now, and it seems that they are of a higher quality....all stainless steel, and you can get a volume break.

Thanks all for your recommendations & Ken for your humor. Did have a local mechanic tell me that double clamps on thru hulls are only for salt water...as if sinking in 120' of fresh water was no problem.

BON DIA wrote:
Thanks all for your recommendations & Ken for your humor. Did have a local mechanic tell me that double clamps on thru hulls are only for salt water...as if sinking in 120' of fresh water was no problem.

That's a new one on me.....* Does he carry his tools in a dishpan?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom