Holding tank vent smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clearly, I’m no expert...what is the difference if the bottom of the holding tank is exposed to air rather than the top? Do the microorganisms only live on the top of the waste product?

The difference is, opening the deck pumpout fitting doesn't expose any of the tank contents to ANY air 'cuz ambient air doesn't fall.

Get a drinking glass that you can put a lid on and stick a straw into the glass via a hole in the lid that goes all the way to the bottom...you can cut the straw off even with the top of the lid if you want to, but it won't make any difference. How will any air outside the glass get into it unless it's blown in (which is how an aerator works)? Which gives me an idea: Try sticking a blow dryer nozzle into the pumpout fitting...that would "bubble" the bottom creating enough pressure to push accumulated gasses above the surface out the vent. Blow dryer would have to be plugged in and running of course.... Should be highly entertaining to your dock mates who watch you do this....

The issue is that you're only exposing a very small amount of waste to air. In the case of my tank, it would be just the top surface of the waste in the 1.5 inch diameter dip tube for pumpout.
You wouldn't be exposing ANY waste to air unless there's a hole in your pickup tube.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Yes that is the plan eventually, I’m just curious about your exact location. I don’t have AC plumbed and the anchor drain area seems too low on the hull. I’m worried that during rough weather water will be forced into the vent line and fill up the tank. One option might be to have the vent hose angle up from the through hull so any water that gets pushed in would only go up a short distance then drain back out. My anchor drain gets water coverage during moderate sea states so a 1-1.5” hole would need to be somewhat protected I would think???

Rob
I have not had any issues that I'm aware of but I do not run in very rough "seas". If you route the hose up I'd do it with a gentle curve and support it well so it doesnt kink and defeat the venting. The other choice would be to install it as high as possible and minimize any splash.

I have not had any issues that I'm aware of but I do not run in very rough "seas". If you route the hose up I'd do it with a gentle curve and support it well so it doesnt kink and defeat the venting. The other choice would be to install it as high as possible and minimize any splash.

Thanks Don, I will look at this option and placement after this upcoming trip. I appreciate the input and experience of you and others on the forum, take care

Rob

New vent thru-hull needs to be just a few inches higher than the top of the tank, and the vent line should be as short, straight with no arches, sags or bends and as horizontal as possible. I'll be glad to take a look at photos and a sketch of your planned route before you do anything.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Hello I've been Marine waste system business over 30 years. try changing your Raw Water Supply hose from the through hull to the toilet as it is giving you low tide smell the problem by the sounds of it. if you haven't changed your vent hose in a long time change that as well. If you're not using a good quality vent filter you should because there's no older that will get through a quality vent filter trust me ,but you sound like you're getting algae smell through your system. which activates a much stronger waste odour through tank vent. if you have seawater water supply to the toilet into your tank and you have used Zaal and treated your tank . A good quality vent filter should and will 100% eliminate any tank vent odours.
Get rid of your aerator all it does is make you tank breathe the whole time it's running

Any and all aerators will cause a humid air mist via bursting bubbles with in which needs to be push through the air vent and will eventually clog vent filters.
Yes and Raiders may help older but they are definitely an enemy to vent systems over long periods of time.

So, I am currently on the boat and have had no issues since I flushed and blew the line clear with air after. Obviously I had a partial blockage and not enough air was getting through the vent. Now we are 8 days on the boat and no odor. Thanks everyone for your tips, that’s why I love this forum.

Rob

I have changed and replaced everything in my waste system including tank. The thing that made the biggest difference and eliminated any stink was installing a 1.5" open vent.
Thanks Peggy,
Bud

Try sticking a blow dryer nozzle into the pumpout fitting...that would "bubble" the bottom creating enough pressure to push accumulated gasses above the surface out the vent.

--Peggie

Oh man, I've just been putting my lips on the fitting and blowing really hard.

But seriously, the idea of backflushing the vent while pumping out sounds like a great idea. Our prior owner sold us a full tank. About the first time we used the head stuff shot out the vent. So the vent really needs to be backflushed. I imagine that dragging the potable water hose down to the pump out area and sticking it in the waste vent is frowned upon? Does anybody have a clever way to rinse the vent, maybe even introducing one of the waste tank conditioners through my tainted vent hose?

Does anybody have a clever way to rinse the vent, maybe even introducing one of the waste tank conditioners through my tainted vent hose?

Step 1. Replace the "vent" thru-hull (unless it's one that has a screen instead of being a steel cap with slit in the bottom) with an open bulkhead (aka "mushroom") thru-hull. This will make Step 2 possible.

Step 2. Put a hose nozzle against the vent thru-hull to back flush the vent line every time you wash the boat and/or pump out. Since you have to remove the nozzle to fill your water tank, there's no risk of contaminating your potable water supply.

--Peggie

But seriously, the idea of backflushing the vent while pumping out sounds like a great idea.

Not while pumping out...filling up the vent line with water during pumpout will prevent the pumpout from pulling any air into the tank via the vent.

The best/easiest time to back flush the the vent is every time you wash the boat. If you do it when you're at the pumpout, do it BEFORE pumping out.

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom