Old 05-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Holding Tank Vent Filter

Before we left on this cruise I replaced my filter with a Dometic filter, see pic below

I noticed after that, on a flush, air was bubbling out the through hull for the macerator once the through hull was left open after leaving the States. Air only as there is a big loop in the hose prior to discharge.

So clearly the tank was venting through the macerator and not the vent. I checked the filter and owners manual to make sure that it didn't have arrows on it showing a one way flow so I might have put it on backwards - it does not seem to matter which way it goes on.

We are off shore tomorrow so I will pump out the holding tank and get rid of all the pressure. Then I am going to remove the filter and put my small compressor on the hose from the filter to the hull vent to make sure that is not blocked.

Questions: those with this filter, can you confirm that it does not matter which way it goes on?

Secondly, any other thoughts as to the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190502_155721144.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. I'm in the "don't want or need a filter" crowd. Yes, there are arguments pro and con but IMO a properly functioning and vented holding tank does not need a filter.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. m. I'm in the "don't want or need a filter" crowd. Yes, there are arguments pro and con but IMO a properly functioning and vented holding tank does not need a filter.
That's one of my options, take the filter off and join up the two hoses. I need to make sure the vent line to hull side is clear first though, otherwise that won't solve anything.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Is it possible it had "caps" that needed to be removed first?

Just looked at the manual and it states:

"Remove the red stoppers from both connectors of the vent filter."

Is it possible one or both of these was accidentally left in place? This would certainly cause the problem you're seeing.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I don’t like filters in the vent. Just get air into the tank and the smells will go away.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Is it possible it had "caps" that needed to be removed first?

Just looked at the manual and it states:

"Remove the red stoppers from both connectors of the vent filter."

Is it possible one or both of these was accidentally left in place? This would certainly cause the problem you're seeing.

Ken
Yes, there were two red caps, both definitely removed. Also I don't think it would have gone onto the hose threads otherwise.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #7

City: Seattle
I'd look at the vent hose for a kink in the vent hose, usually about the turn of the bilge. Old hose curves can turn into hose corners.
Look for low spots that may be holding a water trap.
Also if the filter gets "moisture" into the charcoal it will become ineffective and decrease venting capacity.
If there is a direction for the vent, logic dictates the D in Dometic to the holding tank side.
But logic and boats don't always travel side by side.

Just looked at the photo, "Eco" to tank side.
Sea Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr./Ms. SL.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I don’t like filters in the vent. Just get air into the tank and the smells will go away.
If you can't get enough air in via vent by increasing size, adding a second vent, straightening it out, etc - all recommendations by Peggie
Adding air via a bubbler will accomplish the same thing - I used an inexpensive 12V fish tank aerator that has worked well for 3 seasons.

Anaerobic bacteria - BAD - SMELL is VERY BAD
Aerobic bacteria - GOOD - No More BAD SMELL
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: AR
Get rid of the vent filter. They actually help to create the very problem they're sold to solve! But first check the vent thru-hull for a blockage...it's the most common location for one. Dirt daubers love to build their nests in and spring is time of year that they do it. If the thru-hull is one that makes that impossible, use a screwdriver blade, ice pick or whatever works to dig out whatever may be blocking it. Knock out any screen...screens get clogged up with dust, pollen and corrosion.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:09 AM   #11
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Before we left on this cruise I replaced my filter with a Dometic filter, see pic below

I noticed after that, on a flush, air was bubbling out the through hull for the macerator once the through hull was left open after leaving the States. Air only as there is a big loop in the hose prior to discharge.

So clearly the tank was venting through the macerator and not the vent. I checked the filter and owners manual to make sure that it didn't have arrows on it showing a one way flow so I might have put it on backwards - it does not seem to matter which way it goes on.

We are off shore tomorrow so I will pump out the holding tank and get rid of all the pressure. Then I am going to remove the filter and put my small compressor on the hose from the filter to the hull vent to make sure that is not blocked.

Questions: those with this filter, can you confirm that it does not matter which way it goes on?

Secondly, any other thoughts as to the issue?
I'm with Peggy - a no filter fan. Although most folks concentrate on the thru hull as a source of blockage, in my case, the 90 deg vent fitting on the tank was totally occluded. If the tank has ever been really full, especially in a sea, definite chance for solids to gum up the tank fitting. After I cleaned the tank fitting & replaced the filter with new tubing, smell is gone & pump outs are much easier..
Old 05-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"Adding air via a bubbler will accomplish the same thing - I used an inexpensive 12V fish tank aerator that has worked well for 3 seasons."

This is the solution the big charter tubs use ($10,000+ a day) while Med moored .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No filter on mine. I replaced the vent line, tank connection, and through hull vent with larger diameter parts. After each pump out, with a dock hose, I flush a little water into the vent to make sure the line is clear. Works great and no odor.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
Guru

Although most folks concentrate on the thru hull as a source of blockage, in my case, the 90 deg vent fitting on the tank was totally occluded. If the tank has ever been really full, especially in a sea, definite chance for solids to gum up the tank fitting.

I neglected to mention this because although heeling makes it common for waste to spill into the vent on sailboats, its relatively rare on powerboats. Which is not say it can't happen...your experience makes it obvious that it can. Which is another good reason to replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead thru-hull even if you don't "upgrade" to a larger diameter vent line: You can stick a hose nozzle up against it to back flush the vent line every time you pump out and/or wash the boat.

--Peggie
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Years ago on advice from Peggy we put in Groco Sweetank because of the horrible smell coming out of the vent when we flushed a head. After 2 hours of running the air pump the smell was gone and never came back for the 8 more years we owned the boat. We never again put any chemicals in the head just used the air system.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #16

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
If you fill up your holding tank and it overflows into the Vent line, it will block up the filter. Time for yet another new vent line filter.
Not sure if that happened.....
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Guru

Instead of replacing the filter, why not replace the vent thru-hull with an open thru-hull that provides better air exchange, start using No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor in the tank and just get rid of the filter?

--Peggie
Old 05-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Instead of replacing the filter, why not replace the vent thru-hull with an open thru-hull that provides better air exchange, start using No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor in the tank and just get rid of the filter?

--Peggie
+1
Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
If you fill up your holding tank and it overflows into the Vent line.....

And btw...If you don't have a tank level indicator, or have one that's quit working, I suggest you check out the SCAD monitor Scad Tank Monitors The sender goes on the outside of the tank, so it can never become clogged with the animal fats in waste requiring removal to clean. Provides an accurate empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and FULL reading, and if your current system is a SeaLand TankWatch, itcan use the same wiring.

--Peggie
Old 05-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post

--Peggie
+2

Just upgraded to 1" vent too