Holding Tank Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somehow I’ve missed that all along. Thanks. Already have the Cerbo, just ordered the sensor.

To be clear, you will also need the GX tank 140, the Cherbo itself only reads resistive and mA gages directly, not voltage gages. The 140 is a nice little unit though, a collection of I/O including the tank inputs. I've found a few other uses for it like bilge pump warnings and temperature inputs. There are a few relay outputs as well. Make sure you update your Cherbo OS, the earlier software will not recognize the GX 140.

The Tankedge gage will read a bit more accurately if supplied with a regulated power supply (the GX tank supply output cannot be used for this as it is a 24V output). TankEdge sells a little regulator you can use, or almost anything else works if you are handy.

I have tried several "sonic" units and they all fail as gunk loads up the walls of thew holding tank.Switched to a KUS holding tank level sensor and a gauge.Works perfect.
I did the same thing with the same results.

Attachments

• KUS.jpg
    KUS.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 11
To be clear, you will also need the GX tank 140, the Cherbo itself only reads resistive and mA gages directly, not voltage gages. The 140 is a nice little unit though, a collection of I/O including the tank inputs. I've found a few other uses for it like bilge pump warnings and temperature inputs. There are a few relay outputs as well. Make sure you update your Cherbo OS, the earlier software will not recognize the GX 140.

The Tankedge gage will read a bit more accurately if supplied with a regulated power supply (the GX tank supply output cannot be used for this as it is a 24V output). TankEdge sells a little regulator you can use, or almost anything else works if you are handy.

Thanks, I did pick up on the gx140 in another reply. I double checked another device I’ve already got and it is also resistive, so I’ll pick up the gx140. Only two left at fisheries, might have to swing by there this morning.

As far as the regulated 12v goes….welll rats. I’m about 32 years stale on building a proper power supply. But here goes…:) Actually didn’t you already note one of the features of the gx140 was that it provided a stable 24v reference voltage. If it is stable, seems like a simple voltage divider would be all you would need/want. Maybe a pair of 1k ohm resistors should do it without any further fanfare.

Yes, the GX140 does supply a stable 24V and a resistor divider would work for a limited number of devices. I had 4 Tankedge type senders, the current output of the GX is modest and the current requirement of the 4 sender somewhat unknown. Tankedge will sell you a 3 wire device (unregulated 12V in, regulated 10V out) inexpensively if you need it.

I believe the GX140 does not read resistive tank inputs - but those inputs already exist on the Cherbo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom