Holding tank crud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote to try Noflex first. I’d add some Noflex and five gallons of fresh water - leave it for 24 hours. Pump. If it did any good, repeat over and over. Might take a week.

Have you tried adding a half dozen bags of ice cubes and going out for a trip to help break up the hard stuff? Works in the RV black water tank too
Read above... its an urban myth IMO
Also difficult to do if one has a maceration head or vac-u- flush unless you have a tank inspection port in which case you would have many other better options.
Not too many boats have gravity RV style heads.

I'm a user / believer of NoFlex or the generic equivalent sodium percarbonate available in bulk.
I have also periodically (end of season) used Calgon water softener and believe it helped but it seems more difficult to find in stores recently.
If you have access a pressure washer or garden hose w straight nozzle help break things up so repeated pump outs clean it up.

Another one here for Noflex Digester.........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:iagree: These guys...and, of course, Headmistress, have it right. If you're well healed, NoFlex. If you're "yachting on a budget" like me, sodium percarbonate. Once my boat rested in the mud during a low "King Tide". In the middle of the night, I forgot and flushed in a load of mud that started an interesting and entertaining bubble reaction. No offending odiferous effects...just an occasionally bubbling head!

Adding a little baking soda solved that in a hurry and I went back to sleep.

Spent the 1st half of the next day flushing out the mud from my system!!!!! :facepalm:

YMMV :D

Last edited:
A question for Peggy or anyone using Noflex. I just started using it for the first time. Do you really need to follow the instructions after a pumpout? It would have me adding about 5 gallons of water back into an empty tank. Cant I just start adding it regularly to the toilet? Eventually the result would be similar. My holding tank is only 30 gal and I don't let it get completely full, so adding 5 gals of fresh water eats up a lot of capacity.

A question for Peggy or anyone using Noflex. I just started using it for the first time. Do you really need to follow the instructions after a pumpout? It would have me adding about 5 gallons of water back into an empty tank. Cant I just start adding it regularly to the toilet? Eventually the result would be similar. My holding tank is only 30 gal and I don't let it get completely full, so adding 5 gals of fresh water eats up a lot of capacity.

I used to put a couple gallons of freshwater in after pumpout but stopped doing that over a year ago. I have not noticed any difference.

Another one here for Noflex Digester.........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That is the same kind of product we use that has been very effective in loosening that kind of harden bottom sludge in holding tanks. I never recall the name, but all of the home improvement stores carry it for septic tanks.

Do you know how high off the floor of the tank your pumpout suction opening sits? Like mine, the fitting may have shoulders all the way around, (360°) and thus the lowest your pumpout will pull suction is above the width of that shoulder. If the "concrete" is below that level, you accomplish exactly nothing by removing it. Your next pumpout will only go as low as the suction through a 1.5" hose positioned at least 1" above the bottom of the tank, with less suction through that hose opening when the level is below the top of the opening than when it is fully immersed in tank contents.
To be totally effective, the suction should enter from the floor of the tank, not, as in all of the installations that I have seen, from the side or end of the tank.

In mine, that loss of capacity amounts to approximately 1/7 th of total capacity, so rather than having a (nominal) 40 gal holding tank, I have a useable 34 gal. Next, looking at the location of the vent connections, which should be from the top of the tank but is actually on the same vertical surface as the suction and the filling hoses, the useable portion reduces by the distance the bottom of that hose is from the top of the tank. With another shoulder, the bottom of my vent hose sits over 1" below the inside top surface, so I lose another 2 gal, reducing my capacity to 32 gal. In Canadian terms, to 120 litres.

This summer I learned about overfilling of the holding tank. Luckily that lesson was on someone else's boat, one with non-boater guests aboard. One also with a filter on the vent line. Did you know that those odor filters stop working when the tank contents contaminate them? Did you also know that when over pressurized, by contaminating the filter, Vacuflush heads stop working properly? That was the symptom first noticed, (well some noticed a strong odor as well), and a call by the owner to the guy who installed the Vac heads led to inspecting the vent line outlet and correctly diagnosing the problem.

Last edited:
A question for Peggy or anyone using Noflex. I just started using it for the first time. Do you really need to follow the instructions after a pumpout? It would have me adding about 5 gallons of water back into an empty tank.
Not according to these instructions that I just downloaded from the No-Flex site:

Suggested dosages – Black water holding tanks
In service ½ an ounce every 5-7 days on board per person.

If there is more than one toilet, flush t No-Flex down a different toilet every day.

Should there ever be any problem with odor flush 1 oz, into tank it will take aprox. 5 minutes to work.

After pump out add one ounce into empty tank via the toilet, flush twice to introduce the power into tank.

Unless you have a toilet that uses 1-3 gal. water/flush (a Raritan Crown Head maybe?), I can't see how that would add more than a quart or two to the tank after pump out.

--Peggie

Last edited:
My tank is long and isn't level, with the low end having the pumpout port. Anything that would settle and solidify would get pumped out. I doubt that the PO designed it that way, it is just so far forward that the hull curves up.

All this talk about probiotics made me think about something. I probably hold the world record for contracting giardia and a couple of other exotic gut bugs. The standard remedy is a week's worth of an antibiotic that kills both good and bad. Seems like antibiotics might pass through and also wipe out things in my holding tank (and maybe my septic tank?) Maybe one should look into Forget About It to recharge the holding tank after taking antibiotics.

+1 for probiotics. Prior used the usual chemicals and vinegar with olive oil on occasion. Since switching to RO water only and probiotics no troubles and no chemicals.

In searching for outlets for above mentioned products I came across a product made near my backyard. Canadian made in Langley BC
Septicsol-L (Concentrated Waste Degrader) available at Canadian Tire

+1 for probiotics. Prior used the usual chemicals and vinegar with olive oil on occasion. Since switching to RO water only and probiotics no troubles and no chemicals.

Probiotics for you or your boat???? lol

A question for Peggy or anyone using Noflex. I just started using it for the first time. Do you really need to follow the instructions after a pumpout? It would have me adding about 5 gallons of water back into an empty tank.
Not according to these instructions that I just downloaded from the No-Flex site:

Suggested dosages – Black water holding tanks
In service ½ an ounce every 5-7 days on board per person.

If there is more than one toilet, flush t No-Flex down a different toilet every day.

Should there ever be any problem with odor flush 1 oz, into tank it will take aprox. 5 minutes to work.

After pump out add one ounce into empty tank via the toilet, flush twice to introduce the power into tank.

Unless you have a toilet that uses 1-3 gal. water/flush (a Raritan Crown Head maybe?), I can't see how that would add more than a quart or two to the tank after pump out.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggy. That's not the istructions that came with the No-flex I just purchased. It says that after pumpout, add no-flex to the pumpout outlet and 3 gallons of water. Then add some no-flex to the toilet along with a gallon of water and flush for 30 sec. That's a non-starter for me as I would use up about 20% of my capacity after every pumpout. I will just add some to the toilet and flush well on a regular basis and hope that does the trick. Like a scoop each morning while cruising. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

When I'm solo on the boat, I add a tablespoon after pumpout and then again every 2-3 days. I no longer have odors. If I even think I got a slight whiff of anything, I just add a tablespoon.

PS. I buy the sodium percarbonate on Amazon for pennies on the dollar compared to NoFlex.

When I'm solo on the boat, I add a tablespoon after pumpout and then again every 2-3 days. I no longer have odors. If I even think I got a slight whiff of anything, I just add a tablespoon.

PS. I buy the sodium percarbonate on Amazon for pennies on the dollar compared to NoFlex.

I don't think there is consensus that it's equivalent

Thanks Peggy. That's not the istructions that came with the No-flex I just purchased. It says that after pumpout, add no-flex to the pumpout outlet and 3 gallons of water. Then add some no-flex to the toilet along with a gallon of water and flush for 30 sec. That's a non-starter for me as I would use up about 20% of my capacity after every pumpout. I will just add some to the toilet and flush well on a regular basis and hope that does the trick. Like a scoop each morning while cruising. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Hello where did the instructions come from?? If you are adding the Noflex to the pump out discharge side of the tank 1/2 gal after adding after you pump out ---If in toilet two flushes one to empty the toilet clean and then one to get it in the system . But not really necessary one flush is okay Dave --Mr Noflex. Most people do just the toilet flush way

Hello where did the instructions come from?? If you are adding the Noflex to the pump out discharge side of the tank 1/2 gal after adding after you pump out ---If in toilet two flushes one to empty the toilet clean and then one to get it in the system . But not really necessary one flush is okay Dave --Mr Noflex. Most people do just the toilet flush way
You may not see concensus but look up the MSDS or SDS for both.
Last I looked NoFlex was sometjing like 80-100% sodium percarbonate (or one of the alternate accepted chemicsl name for it) like many compounds there are a plethora of terms that mean the same thing.
Note both can have minor.smounts of stuff used as coatings to prevent clumping etc.
Many claim equal results with OciClean but it has s much lower % of the.important SPC.

The istructions came from No-flex. They were wrapped around the bottle. I did what you said, added to the toilet and a couple flushes.

My tank is long and isn't level, with the low end having the pumpout port. Anything that would settle and solidify would get pumped out. I doubt that the PO designed it that way, it is just so far forward that the hull curves up.

All this talk about probiotics made me think about something. I probably hold the world record for contracting giardia and a couple of other exotic gut bugs. The standard remedy is a week's worth of an antibiotic that kills both good and bad. Seems like antibiotics might pass through and also wipe out things in my holding tank (and maybe my septic tank?) Maybe one should look into Forget About It to recharge the holding tank after taking antibiotics.
I am in the process of refitting my 1973 GB 36. Part of my plan is to install a larger holding tank. I intend to install an aquarium type air pimp to inject air into the effluent. This will constantly agitate the solids in the tank and also aerate the effluent to change the environment form anaerobic to aerobic, which promotes beneficial bacteria. I am a building contractor and it is amazing what this does for septic tanks on land. I figure if it doesn't work the worst I'm out is $100 for the air pump. We'll see.

I am in the process of refitting my 1973 GB 36. Part of my plan is to install a larger holding tank. I intend to install an aquarium type air pimp to inject air into the effluent. This will constantly agitate the solids in the tank and also aerate the effluent to change the environment form anaerobic to aerobic, which promotes beneficial bacteria. I am a building contractor and it is amazing what this does for septic tanks on land. I figure if it doesn't work the worst I'm out is $100 for the air pump. We'll see.
Smart move IMO. You don't need to spend anywhere near $100. I think by fush tank unit was about $30 and has been running 7 yrs.
See Bacchus website Projects Holding Tank Aeration for pump info.

Smart move IMO. You don't need to spend anywhere near $100. I think by fush tank unit was about $30 and has been running 7 yrs.
See Bacchus website Projects Holding Tank Aeration for pump info.
Thanks for that. I will check it out. Is that "Bacchus.com"? How do you find the results in the tank? It was just an idea I had, I am excited to hear how it is working in the real world.

I just looked at your project for aeration. I think I may over engineering mine (a typical problem for me). Could you tell me the physical dimensions of your HT, and where in the tank you located the air tube?
Thanks,
Ron

Al... Thnx for the assist... im on the road and only using phone.
I believe my tank is much cleaner as it only takes a short flush to come clean. I only do 2-3 flushes end of season and it clears up quicker than it did previously.
Ted (OC Diver) has posted a rather thorough thread about using SPC and tank cleaning.

I have a 40 Gal holding tank in the MS 34HT rather flat (guess maybe 12-14" tall)
I disconnected a bottom outlet to a macerator & oboard discharge (I'm on inland & great lakes).
Simply used adapters to get down to a small (1/8") tube that I plugged & drilled same holes.
I never expected the pump to be as durable as it has proven. I run it 24/7 during NE summer season and on year 7.
I'm sure a top entry with dip tube would work equally well.
I didn't try to experiment to see how much better bubbler would be without NoFlex / SPC. It worked and have just done both since. If/when the pump quits I'll see how things are then. I still have a container or 2 of NoFlex but plan to switch to generic SPC when I run out.
I've thought maybe when I switch I'd package up some for friends with no marking other that Bacchus tank treatment and see what I get back for feedback and/or requests for refills?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at your project for aeration. I think I may over engineering mine (a typical problem for me). Could you tell me the physical dimensions of your HT, and where in the tank you located the air tube?
Thanks,
Ron

I go the idea from Bacchus and did essentially the same thing. As it happened, the aerator I chose was the same as he did. I had a free 3” inspection port in the top of my tank so I just used some adaptors and epoxy to run some 1/2” PVC down into the tank. Turned out to be pretty simple, all the materials were about $50 and it has worked really well.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/diy-holding-tank-aerator-58704.html

Last edited:
Just looked on line for the "Power bubbles" air pump. Beyond my philosophical issue with Amazon they were more expensive than anyone else.

Just looked on line for the "Power bubbles" air pump. Beyond my philosophical issue with Amazon they were more expensive than anyone else.
I got mine via Walmart delivered to store.

Back
Top Bottom