Old 10-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Bagus
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52-01
Fire suppression system

My new to me boat has 2 separate fire suppression systems, one for the main engine room and a separate system for the generator in a sound enclosure. The survey report noted that both systems did not have current inspection stickers and the line to the generator was capped. The prior owner had the system inspected prior to closing and both systems now have current inspection stickers. However the line going inside the generator sound enclosure still has what appears to be a cap on it. (See photo) Or at least this appears to be a cap, maybe its some sort of temperature sensor. I wouldn’t think the company that inspected the system would have put a current sticker on the system if this cap was preventing the discharge.

Before removing can anyone advise what sort of nozzle should be on the end of this line?
Attached Thumbnails
E2F03F95-E210-4722-AAE7-56D7C43BDD19.jpg   831F7924-B70C-495C-893B-EB937BAD5D07.jpg  
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #2

City: Seattle
That's a Seafire system, don't remove the end of the hose, the hose is pressurized with extinguishing agent. It's designed to burn open in case of fire.

Usually the end of the hose is lightly wire tied to the anti siphon loop on a Northern Lights.
Sea Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Bagus
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Level View Post
That's a Seafire system, don't remove the end of the hose, the hose is pressurized with extinguishing agent. It's designed to burn open in case of fire.

Usually the end of the hose is lightly wire tied to the anti siphon loop on a Northern Lights.
Thanks for the info, so glad I checked and didn’t just try to remove. I would have had a mess in my engine room. 🤪
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
No mess. Sea-Fire uses Novec 1230. It is a clean agent similar to the old halons.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #5

City: Cairns
Are there regular spray jets around the engines?

I've also seen similar lines used as sense lines to open the main retardant valve. Similar to above, if the signal line gets hot enough to burst, the pressure drop activates the main system.

Either way, I wouldn't remove the cap. Ours were DCP so dont ask me how I know they do make a mess if there is a system leak. A big mess. 😁
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote