Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Campbell River
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Hold/Fire Pump

Ahoy yee,

I have been working on the Tanu Warrior recently, a 55' West Coast Fishery vessel built in 1952 in Masset BC out of first growth timbers.
Ship details

8V71,Alison gear.. runs well, lotsa gear and goodies..and I've join this forum seeking information re TW and today specifically regarding the raw water fire pump or hold pump.

Has Vancouver BC CA, Pump and Power embossed in the pump housing casting.. likely a long defunct operation.

The pump is/was seized, have it apart now, new bearings and seals in order however I seek the advise of anyone familiar w/these old hold pumps..looks to me that possibly a stuffing type box/seal is employed to keep water in the pump and out of the bearing/shaft area..mostly interested to know anything more than I do now regarding these old hold pumps.

I'm well experienced in West Coast boats, worked at Canoe Cove MFG in 1980s and have owned several boats over many decades.

Tanu Warrior is in reasonable condition and while she may never work commercially again I'd like to restore some systems and bring other systems online for use once again.

Today I'm working twds establishing the water pump system for future use as a fire hose, a pump out or other service.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2115.jpg  
Tanu Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
Guru
 
Lepke's Avatar
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,766
A picture of the pump would be helpful. In older pumps, a stuffing box is more common than rubber seals.
If I had that boat, I'd go commercial tuna fishing once a year. A good trip could pay your yearly expenses and then some.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16,837
Welcome aboard.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
Newbie
 
City: Campbell River
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
A picture of the pump would be helpful. In older pumps, a stuffing box is more common than rubber seals.
Thanks, images ..
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2143.jpg   DSCF2142.jpg   DSCF2140.jpg   DSCF2141.jpg  
Tanu Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 631
was it already disassembled when you got it?
what i'm seeing, is a bearing housing, a drip well and the pump seal housing. hard to say what was in the seal housing without being there to take it apart, but you can measure it for a lip seal, or it could possibly be packing rings and a grease cup. with the drip well between the housings it would lean toward packing, but depending on the dimensions a lip seal might be possible and more dripless.
also possible would be a mechanical seal. impossible to tell from the pictures.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
Newbie
 
City: Campbell River
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
was it already disassembled when you got it?
what i'm seeing, is a bearing housing, a drip well and the pump seal housing. hard to say what was in the seal housing without being there to take it apart, but you can measure it for a lip seal, or it could possibly be packing rings and a grease cup. with the drip well between the housings it would lean toward packing, but depending on the dimensions a lip seal might be possible and more dripless.
also possible would be a mechanical seal. impossible to tell from the pictures.
thank you
yes I took it apart, unfamiliar with this old of pump.. but familiar enough to think packing ring/s were employed thank you.

I have to have the packing ring compression end made.. and apparently instead of a lip seal it was a end cap threaded in on the pump end of shaft..which may be more fun to locate/repair. Reading your post packing ring and grease cup makes sense as there is/was a grease nipple above that..

no grease or oil was inside. I suspect maybe someone had used sealed bearings in a repair at some point prior.
Tanu Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:23 AM   #7
Guru
 
Lepke's Avatar
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,766
It's a better than average pump with bearing support that keeps the bearings out of any water contact. That is an old style stuffing box and the hole is for a grease fitting. If you use newer lubricated packing, you don't need the grease, but it does help in keeping the water in the pump. The original bearings could have been anything from a bronze bushing to several stacked roller bearings. With sealed bearings you don't need the grease fitting and you don't need seals on the outside of the bearings.
If you removed roller bearings, and they fit correctly, you can order replacements online by the number embossed into the race.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
Newbie
 
City: Campbell River
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
It's a better than average pump with bearing support that keeps the bearings out of any water contact. That is an old style stuffing box and the hole is for a grease fitting. If you use newer lubricated packing, you don't need the grease, but it does help in keeping the water in the pump. The original bearings could have been anything from a bronze bushing to several stacked roller bearings. With sealed bearings you don't need the grease fitting and you don't need seals on the outside of the bearings.
If you removed roller bearings, and they fit correctly, you can order replacements online by the number embossed into the race.
Thanks

I got new bearings (sealed) and had an end plate made as well as a new piece that crushes the rope in stuffing box. all parts made inc bearings purch ~$350
Tanu Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #9
Guru
 
Lepke's Avatar
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,766
Thanks, for the update. It's nice to know how these issues end.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012