Head over flowing with fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finecar

Vessel Make
42' CHB Ponderosa
My Raritan electric head is filling up with fresh water and over flowing daily when the water pump is on. It also fills up with fresh water and bubbles when the other VacuFlush head is used. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

My Raritan electric head is filling up with fresh water and over flowing daily when the water pump is on. It also fills up with fresh water and bubbles when the other VacuFlush head is used. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like duck bill valve issue. The valve is a check valve or one way valve that prevents stuff from returning to the head. Don't know if your head has 1 or 2.

Ted

I would guess there's an electric solenoid in the system between your freshwater tank and your toilet bowl. The solenoid is what opens when you press one of your control buttons to demand water.

Solenoids can go bad, stick open, or just get clogged with a bit of calcium (or whatever) grit. Find it, take it out and clean it, try it again, see if it leaks. If it does, just get a replacement from Raritan.

-Chris

Failed Solenoid the flush water intake is my guess too. The solenoid valves are part # 71 and 72 in the exploded drawing in the Marine Elegance owners manual. Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

I'm not really sure why flushing the other toilet (VacuFlush) would send clean flush water into the Elegance bowl, but I'm guessing that cleaning or replacing the Elegance solenoid valve will fix that too....unless you also have a problem with the water valve on the VF. In fact, that just might be the only culprit if whoever installed the Elegance used an interesting approach to the intake plumbing.

--Peggie

Last edited:
We had the exact same problem, and indeed it was the solenoid valve. A piece of debris made it stick open. I added a small in line filter in front of the solenoid and a shut off valve inline after the solenoid.

We have to leave the fresh water pump on all the time for our watermaker flush, so If we leave for extended periods, I can shut off the water to the head with the in-line valve.

Scott

You may have to leave the boat's water pump on all the time for the water maker and God forbid you should ever have to turn it off before the ice maker is full...but a simple shutoff valve in the toilet intake line will allow you to leave the main water pump breaker on if/when you have to work on a toilet that's designed to use pressurized fresh water. Install it ahead of any solenoid valve.

--Peggie

I agree with Scott. I got really good at cleaning the grit out of the solenoids, then I broke down and put an inline filter in before the water pump. I have to change the filter every couple of weeks, but otherwise I have had no grit in the system.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom