Head Help Stuart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Hi All,

We are at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart FL and need a good service person to repair a problem with a Vacuflush head. The vacuum pump runs but does not create a vacuum. I've check for air leaks and find none. Pulling the hoses to check/replace the duckbills is not a project I care to do.

Thankfully we have two heads, two holding tanks and two independent Vacuflush systems so we are not up sh**ts creek. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

That may not be necessary. There's a clog in the system. If it's in a hose, a plunger MAY clear it (VacuFlush is the only toilet in which it's ok to use a plunger). If it doesn't, it's most likely a clogged vacuum pump...and that will require taking it apart to clean it out. It's not a difficult job, but if you don't want to do it, give SeaLand a call (they now answer the phone "Dometic" because they're owned by Dometic) for the name of a servicing dealer in the Stuart area. 800-321-9886

The troubleshooting guide is in the owners manual...if you have one, see #9. If you don't, I've saved the troubleshooting guide as a PDF and will be glad to send it to you if you'll send me a PM (private message) that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to PMs).

Peggie, Thanks for the input. Tried the plunger with no success. Service person coming tomorrow.

[B said:
HeadMistress;518343] If it's in a hose, a plunger MAY clear it (VacuFlush is the only toilet in which it's ok to use a plunger). [/B]

Sorry, slight hijack.

Peggy, I have Tecma toilets on board and sometimes resort to the plunger, am I doing something wrong?

It's not recommended by the mfr. Reversing the motor by reversing the wires to it is the recommended solution. If you have to do it very often, you need to provide your guests with better instructions and stop inviting those who don't follow 'em.

It's not easy to clog a Tecma! When I was in Alaska, a couple with a brand new Selene tied up next to us...so of course I had to ask 'em what the toilets were and how they liked 'em. They loved them! Only had one problem with them: they had their teenage granddaughters aboard for a week...the girls failed to tell them they'd run out of TP in their head and were using paper towels....which--after 3 days!--finally clogged the toilet. They called the dealer in Seattle, who told 'em to reverse the motors (and how to do it), and it worked...the toilet regurgitated the clog. I'm pretty sure there's at least one member who can tell you how it's done.

I have never heard of reversing the motors, will look into it. Thanks

Update. Peggie was right. There was a clog right at the entrance to the vacuum accumulator tank. Of course Peggie was also right that it was a wet wipe(s) causing the clog. We will never have guests again. Yeah, right.

Thanks Peggie for your input.

Wet wipes should be banned...or at least the word "flushable" on a label should be treated as false advertising. Not only do they play hell with marine toilets, they're costing municipal sewer systems $$millions in removal and sewer system repairs. It's not just the tushy wipes, it's also the sanitizing wipes that have created a nation of germophobes. If you're at all curious to know just how widespread the problem has become for sewer systems you only have to google "wet wipes in sewers" to bring up a dozen or more articles from all over the country.

Instructing your guests that nothing should go down the toilet that hasn't gone through them first will go a long way in preventing clogs. If you're uncomfortable with the idea of actually telling them that, have a nice little sign made up to hang in the guest head that says something like "marine toilets are different from household toilets...they clog if anything is flushed except body waste and toilet paper. Please put everything else including wet wipes in the waste basket."

No need to search, I had a lovely elderly neighbour upstream who was recovering at home and flushing wet wipes, after hospitalization for a nasty infection. Major blockage,powerful water jetting job to clear it(the pipes, not the neighbour), fortunately (eventually) at Sydney Water`s expense, as I got recompensed for my plumbers failed attempts after SW initially denied responsibility.
Nothing as constipating as the thought your "download" ends up on the downstream neighbours lawn.:eek:
These things might be "flushable" but that`s all. They do lots of harm. In a marine head? Never.

Back
Top Bottom