Halon System Removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boydster

Vessel Name
Change of Heart
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
As part of my electrical system cleanup I'd like to remove my ancient Fike Fiquench halon system. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this equipment...it was old hardware when we purchased our boat and that was almost twelve years ago. Even if it was functional we couldn't legally get the halon refilled here in Canada.
I need to know how to safely remove the hardware as well as to determine if this setup was equipped with automatic engine shutoff.
Thanks if you've got any advice!

Don’t know if yours has an auto shutdown or not. The halon systems we have had simply unplug the electrical connection on the bottle and dismount the bottle. Then you have to deal with whatever shutdown system you may or may not have. The bottle should be taken to a fire extinguisher company for the halon removal.

If you want to get rid of the extinguisher, Halon is still used in aviation. There are companies that service that equipment (atleast in the USA) and capture / recycle the Halon. So I would imagine disposing of the extinguisher in an environmentally friendly way should be relatively easy.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom