Great Galley Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I couldn't think of anything but this is a "must"...
We keep at least one aboard as well as at home and on the motorhome.
I appreciate a good Bourbon Old Fashioned and have trained many neighboring boat owners to make and enjoy them as well -
a muddler is an essential tool to release the full flavors of the fruit.

Attachments

• Muddler.jpg
    Muddler.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 569
Greetings,
THIS muddler (minnow) is an essential tool to release the full flavors of a trout (or any other game fish for that matter)...

muddler.minnow_gr.jpg

...although I prefer to make my tail from red squirrel...

I have 2 gadgets that I find really helpful in the galley. The 1st is a 4th burner pot, I use it to steam veggies and to hardboil eggs, works very well on my 3 burner Princess electric. The 2nd is zojirushi electric grill that does a excellent job on steaks and chops, better than any propane grill I've ever used.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443196270.679978.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443196289.392159.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My best galley gadget is my wife. She fixes great meals, kisses me when she serves them, makes great coffee, and then cleans up afterwards.

Can a gadget get any better than that?

The best response I've read all day!

George, I wanna have Thanksgiving at your boat!! As long as Ann is cooking!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

At first I couldn't think of anything but this is a "must"...
We keep at least one aboard as well as at home and on the motorhome.
I appreciate a good Bourbon Old Fashioned and have trained many neighboring boat owners to make and enjoy them as well -
a muddler is an essential tool to release the full flavors of the fruit.

I agree with the muddler. Needed for Caipirihnas too, I traced one out on a napkin in a bar in Brazil years ago since then I've made this one plus about a dozen on my lathe. There is at least one in the Galley.

Attachments

• Muddler Caipirinha.jpg
    Muddler Caipirinha.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 187
A pair of large vise grips. Yes, you read that correct.

Adjust for slightly smaller than your pecan shell and you'll have perfectly opened pieces in a jiffy. It's much better than a nutcracker and easier too. In October, in Pensacola, the pecans come into season.

Grab a bag, your vise grips and have at it.

Adjust for slightly smaller than your pecan shell and you'll have perfectly opened pieces in a jiffy. It's much better than a nutcracker and easier too. In October, in Pensacola, the pecans come into season.

Now thats clever.

Wifey B: So you're suggesting everyone (well everyone who has nuts) put their nuts in vise grips and squeeze? :rofl:

Wifey B: So you're suggesting everyone (well everyone who has nuts) put their nuts in vise grips and squeeze? :rofl:

I did say vise grips not vice grips... :angel:

Hey ladies (and gentleman), this is a galley gadget thread. Get your minds out of the bilge! :hide: :whistling:

Nesting...nesting bowls, nesting pans. Collapsible items.

One thing I've observed is that boats often have great dish and glass storage, far more space efficient than typical kitchen cabinets.

Where does one get an "Ann gadget"?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Not really a gadget but we added an Engel Freezer to our below deck storage area. The wife loves it. Keeps things rock hard frozen and can be a fridge instead If you like. It's pricey, Model MR40 at $840 but worth it for a live aboard. I see no discernible effect on batteries overnight. Ann might like it too.

Not really a gadget but we added an Engel Freezer to our below deck storage area. The wife loves it. Keeps things rock hard frozen and can be a fridge instead If you like. It's pricey, Model MR40 at $840 but worth it for a live aboard. I see no discernible effect on batteries overnight. Ann might like it too.

Yes I have looked at this on Amazon. Reviews say Low temperature, low battery use, what is good.

I made her suffer with only having a full size Sub Zero side by side. Those Engels are very nice by the way.

mK4Wl5vdSJ1Ujwvu0_t-YnRuuK9uDQQF6GbpDFL5jC4z-f13w_SEhTvbk4xM1IhC0soGta9Gx0fpx9EHkABwFmFcjh8FKxNj8xTPAIvPoMBPLiO2Hz5IbXLAcn1f4MOsoLJQyYb-UE9DCIUvbCYFQLFBi84Q35TjgRCh1UTASeJ1g-2iVmJahCZdVWdKuLY-9kdIzUQ1AwBe_eg5c0Okc5jK1N1hyvJaz6GciHY4AIyvQ_Ujiok4PKkjeHUqFKrPjGNN4qX4uEmmpAvViLhYphJFuIIUjfuDRiEaWCofave4qZbhPkGL0TAjmdCFxLBa7m9e8abnW-n_jzY9GRShYdE7iSTHhS3A1lRk7khdihpvVCpakkbUEGQ-Pm7ZVuTEtWjyXmQgqphd4XdvxKBu4Zp9UFs1TonMux92NRXr-DT5_MBQbQXsCZvPpSCoT9PaB8ymv3c-HG3dDoTs_FXdTn2_DezVxic_3_959jGr0Bjw9uje0MvKDfFj7iAZsON7Q7nI2H-AT4Xy15AyMx0y60ozbtahNoy_cyHneX8GmgM=w946-h635-no

Please remove that photo before my wife sees it and I wind up in the Engel.

Please remove that photo before my wife sees it and I wind up in the Engel.

Make sure she uses the vacuum sealer, you'll last longer and stay fresher.

To be fair, this was the only kitchen we had for almost 6 years.

Last edited:

Having adequate refrigerator and especially freezer space is huge to us. It's nice to be able to load up, especially on meats, and not have to go shopping for them during the trip. We vacuum seal everything that goes into the freezer on the boat and at home.

If one is a carnivore cruiser, but lacks the ability to provision on a Costco scale (or even if you do), then whilst in the Ft Lauderdale area, I have one valuable piece of advice: hie thee to Penn Dutch.

ROFL. BTW, this is our only kitchen for 5 years and counting.

Back
Top Bottom