Garbage disposal in the galley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopistn

Vessel Make
37' C&L Double Cabin
So my sink drains directly overboard and I'm thinking of replacing it and the faucet for a deeper/larger sink.
Besides not being able to power the disposal without shore power or generator, is there a reason why boats don't have them?
I can see that it would take up more space under the sink as well, but could be useful while cooking and cleaning.

Possibly because it puts more crap in the ocean.

Boats don't have disposals? Oh no! I will have to disconnect mine and throw it away. [emoji851]
Seriously, many, many, many boats have them.

And because it's illegal to discharge (defined in the CFR as "includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pouring, pumping, emitting, emptying, or dumping") garbage--even pureed garbage--in U.S. waters, which have a "12 mile limit" for this purpose. So you'd also have to install a gray water tank.

The rules are spelled out here:
http://www.safeguardmarine.com/imageswaste_management_plan.pdf

Boats don't have disposals? Oh no! I will have to disconnect mine and throw it away. Seriously, many, many, many boats have them.

That may be true...but they're using 'em illegally unless they discharge into a gray water tank...which many large boats do have.

Last edited:
I'm sure they do over there. They are just not very popular outside the US.

In fact I've never even seen one outside the US in a boat or a house.

Last edited:

It would be the same amount of "crap", just chopped up fine.

Seriously, you're not supposed to throw garbage overboard, your supposed to dispose of it properly on land.

Which brings up the question: Why is it OK to chop a fish up into little pieces and throw it overboard as "chum", but if you cook it first and eat part of it, the remainder is "garbage" and illegal to throw overboard?

Which brings up the question: Why is it OK to chop a fish up into little pieces and throw it overboard as "chum", but if you cook it first and eat part of it, the remainder is "garbage" and illegal to throw overboard?
It's not, assuming you haven't put sauce and other non-oceanic stuff on it. You'll never get busted for that.

We had a disposer on our boat, via PO. I had a label above it on the backsplash that it was not to be used without my permission. Which meant we were offshore and clear of restrictions. We used it about three times in 6+ years.

Since we are mainly trawlers - once 3 miles off shore and beyond coastal, food can go overboard.

I've never seen food waste as trash as all. And I don't litter or anything. But yeah I could see how in a lake or marina that might not be the best practice.

Ok, well looks like it wouldn't be worth the trouble and expense. I did not know there were so many rules about throwing food overboard.

My marina has two fish cleaning stations. Fish heads and guts are commonly thrown in the water. Is this different or is the law different for boats vs. docks?

As for the garbage disposal, we seldom use the one at home. Garbage goes in the garbage can, not down the drain.

I use under the galley sink as storage. If I put a big disposal in I would lose at least one shelf. Not happening.

While it might not meet the letter of the law, a few food scraps ground up is not a big environmental concern. Even in a harbor if you get a good blow, hundreds of pounds of tree leaves end up in the water. Fish naturally die in the harbor. Fish and other critters poop. Lots of bio matter naturally decaying in there all the time.

Even less a concern in a body of water with lots of tidal action.

Many boats in my area have them. If you want one, install one.

On my ride, we scrape dishes into the trash if in harbor, if under way we scrape them over the side.

If the food came out of the waters you are in, the remains of it can go back in as far as we're concerned. We've dumped crab and shrimp remains over board while a DWR went by in an anchorage, got a friendly wave and a "looks like you had a great meal!"

If it didn't come out of the adjacent waters, it didn't go in until well off shore.

IMO, a garbage disposal is an unnecessary complication, runs counter to the KISS method that I subscribe to. I see many boats that have them, usually the same boats that sport AC, stabilizers, thrusters, bathtubs, televisions etc ad nausea.
Don’t forget to puncture eyeballs and guts before you toss carcasses overboard, or they’ll float and stink, and in still water can haunt you for days.

IMO, a garbage disposal is an unnecessary complication, runs counter to the KISS method that I subscribe to. I see many boats that have them, usually the same boats that sport AC, stabilizers, thrusters, bathtubs, televisions etc ad nausea." End Quote

I have all of that except a bathtub and don't feel in the least bad. I live on my boat. I didn't subscribe to be a hermit in a cave. Horses for courses. Better than living in my ex dirt home but still as comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom