Old 01-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
On lock to lock...some are adjustable. Mine has a knob below the main wheel shaft to decrease or increase ratio. Of course I dare not touch it

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
On lock to lock...some are adjustable. Mine has a knob below the main wheel shaft to decrease or increase ratio. Of course I dare not touch it
Mine did also and I changed it to the least number of turns. I guess that would be the highest ratio?
I could still use one finger to turn the wheel even at WOT

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #23

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
follow up is the best way to drive when not on autopilot, and there is really no comparison if you can foot the bill for the equipment, and that would be the only downside I can think of with a properly built system. Honestly for hours steered by hand in the last 50 years they are more tested than even a wheel at this point and definitely a proven system. These boats don’t have autopilot at all and run up and down the rivers hand steering only thousands of miles at a time. It’s great seeing gentleman boaters finally getting interested in them. The second set of sticks are even more fun. Backing rudders (or flanking rudder depending who you are talking to)add a whole new layer of control over a boat.
Attached Thumbnails
A6DC2CA5-B4A3-4C2A-B1D0-F8F40D9AD1DD.jpg  
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #24

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
Jog Steering vs Follow-Up

Let's clear up terms 'Jog' and 'Follow-up'.

Follow-up steering uses feedback from a rudder angle sensor to position the rudder exactly as the control handle is positioned. The handle or knob stays where you put it and the rudder follows to that position and stops. The lever has a center detent. This is a nice system to have for maneuvering, you know by feel where the rudder is, and you can move your hand to another thing without waiting for it to get there. FU steering capability is integrated into some autopilots, and can also be a stand-alone system - that's getting into commercial/large yacht equipment. The FU lever unit will be specific to the pilot.

Follow-up steering also refers to a power-assisted steering system using a master and slave ram arrangement.

Jog steering has a spring loaded lever, the rudder is driven as long as the lever is held. Most autopilots have a jog steering function, including limit stop via the rudder feedback unit. Some pilots will have connections for an external jog switch. Any kind of momentary switches are compatible with jog steering.

Jog steering can be added independent of the pilot, details differ depending on the drive type and are a bit too much to include here. Limit switches need to be installed and a selector switch so that pilot and jog can't be active at the same time.