The Fuel Tank Cap from Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

Tried to tighten the fill cap and damn thing came apart. Appear to be held with a weak spot weld. Went to two Westmarines and Beacon Marine. Could not find a replacement. Anyone recognize the brand? Boat built in 90's. Threads don't match anything on the shelves.

Attachments

• cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 57
There is a store in Fort Pierce called Marine Liquidators that would likely have it as they buy all sorts of closeouts. Unfortunately this isn't a place you can buy on line from. You would need to go in and match it. Don't know if there is an equivalent store or boat salvage store in Santa Barbara.

I would probably be inclined to buy a whole new fill pipe assembly. It's certainly more work, but you can buy a better quality to avoid a repeat performance.

Ted

IF you replace the entire deck fitting slipping a 1/2 or 3/4 piece of GRP or starboard under the fitting will keep the sealing O ring from being tested till there is a lot of water on deck.

If you are able to get the bottom piece out, try a liberal "gob" of Marine Tek to put it back together.

pete

Would this work for you? In my junk can.

(have to stand on your head to install though...lol)

John

Attachments

• 0620200818.jpg
    0620200818.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 0620200818a.jpg
    0620200818a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 0620200818b.jpg
    0620200818b.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 40
Throw it all awayeeee!

If you have access to the back side, remove and replace the whole fitting with new.
If not, drill and tap two 1/4-20 machine screws so you can torque on what is left then clean up the threads and take cap to a machine shop. They could be metric , BSP, or something else.

If you have access to the back side, remove and replace the whole fitting with new.
If not, drill and tap two 1/4-20 machine screws so you can torque on what is left then clean up the threads and take cap to a machine shop. They could be metric , BSP, or something else.

If the expoxy doesn't hold, that'll be my next move. thanks!

Take the male part to a marine parts store, find the female deck fitting that fits.
Buy the proper new male unit, throw the old one away.
While you are at it, buy more male caps and extra O'rings too.

Take the male part to a marine parts store, find the female deck fitting that fits.
Buy the proper new male unit, throw the old one away.
While you are at it, buy more male caps and extra O'rings too.

3 different stores no luck. also, and all o rings too thick. btw a perko o-ring is $12 at westmarine.

Undo four screws then remove the fitting, then replace it with a standard one?

I`d have high hopes for the JB Weld. As to O rings, I bought on Ebay a box of about 800, a range of sizes,allegedly fuel solvent resistant, imported from "that" country, for < $20 delivered.

I would be very hesitant to install one new deck fitting. Change one, you will have to carry parts for two type.

That's last resort. But the entire assembly isn't cheap and access is a beyotch.

And spending money on trying to make it work as is and going from store to store and the best you can possibly end up with is still the old, discontinued, unit is somehow preferable? I'm having a hard time seeing it. Do it the right way and only have to deal with it this one time.

Brian,
That looks like the fill fittings on my BC-built Farrell trawler (30 years old.)

I have been looking for spare threaded caps since I bought the boat and have struck out on that treasure hunt in OR, WA and BC. Not helping you much, but its not just you.

They are a fine thread with a thinner section O-ring than current Perko parts. I might try digging around in Dagmars north of Everett this month. Last resort is to turn some from bar stock at a pal's machine shop.

Carry backup rubber stopper if the worst happens.

Last edited:
Take it loose and if you can pull enough hose out on deck to swap the fill go buy a lottery ticket.

Greetings,
Mr. BG. Why not screw the pieces together? Drill and tap the base and goop the space between the pieces with a good gasket sealant before tightening down. WALLA. A one piece cap again!

Greetings,
Mr. BG. Why not screw the pieces together? Drill and tap the base and goop the space between the pieces with a good gasket sealant before tightening down. WALLA. A one piece cap again!
That's what I'll do if the JB weld doesn't work. Changing the assembly would require replacing both fills, miserable hours trying to access and remove the old ones and most projects on boats expand. For example, maybe the new fittings don't have the same footprint as the old -- it'd be a miracle if they did. So now have to cut the deck, Epoxy seal the new hole, break out the Sikaflex or butyl. These things can go sideways.

Back
Top Bottom