Old 08-09-2022, 01:42 AM   #1

City: portsmouth
Vessel Name: Chartwell
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Fridges

Looking at replacing my Engel SR90E fridge which is 12v/240v. Would welcome thoughts on best marine fridge and why I would need the 240v facility as opposed to just getting 12v.

For context cruising the Mediterranean at the moment and very hot.
Chartwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Why marine?
Fridge doesn't know what it's in.

I'll always advocate for an off the shelf house fridge
Money saved on unit pays for inverter and extra batteries which, can improve life dramatically if using your boat a lot.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I just purchased a 45L Alpicool off Amazon for $300 USD. A few folks at CruisersForum recommended the brand. The plastic latch-handle is a bit flimsy, but it does chill quickly. Seems to hold -4F well, but have not had it in intense heat.

https://a.co/d/0JOcXbF

Thinking about it, the handle is the Achilles Heel. I would seek out something with a more simple latch such as the rubber t-handles on Yetis.

Here is an example of a design I would go with, but no idea on quality of this brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DV1J9L5...4AXTB1J5?psc=1

Good luck.

Peter
Old 08-09-2022, 05:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tor-41392.html

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
There is usually a big difference in DC power consumption between a 12V Danfoss compressor fridge and a big box, non Energy Star rated AC compressor fridge running off of an inverter. From what I have seen the AC compressor fridge will draw twice the average power as the Danfoss unit.

But if power doesn't matter, ie you have a big battery bank and inverter with lots of solar or you run your generator every day to keep the batteries up, the residential fridge is a fraction of the price of the 12V Danfoss compressor fridge.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
There is usually a big difference in DC power consumption between a 12V Danfoss compressor fridge and a big box, non Energy Star rated AC compressor fridge running off of an inverter. From what I have seen the AC compressor fridge will draw twice the average power as the Danfoss unit.

But if power doesn't matter, ie you have a big battery bank and inverter with lots of solar or you run your generator every day to keep the batteries up, the residential fridge is a fraction of the price of the 12V Danfoss compressor fridge.

There are Energy Star-rated home units, of course.

Frost-free might be a useful attribute that's available on AC fridges. Haven't ever seen that on an AC/DC "marine" fridge.

-Chris
Old 08-09-2022, 06:16 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:

David
In the USA, I don't think you can sell a refrigerator anymore without the Energy rating. My experience with my apartment refrigerator verses the Norcold leads me to believe that while an efficient compressor system is important, the box insulation is probably more important. Most RV / marine refrigerators have crap insulation. That's why my apartment unit on the inverter does so much better.

Ted
Old 08-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #8
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartwell View Post
Looking at replacing my Engel SR90E fridge which is 12v/240v. Would welcome thoughts on best marine fridge and why I would need the 240v facility as opposed to just getting 12v.

For context cruising the Mediterranean at the moment and very hot.
One issue to consider which few ever think about is how home-use fridges dissipate heat. Many use their metal skins, side and/or tops, to expel heat. If your fridge is fit into a tight space, it will have little ability to rid itself of heat thereby causing the unit to run far more than designed. Remember that the "energy guide" sticker is calculated under test conditions which do not include marine applications where fridges are often stuffed into spaces with poor air flow. Marine fridges have their compressors and cooling coils in the rear affording much better heat transmission.

When I removed our two home-use fridges for some reason the sides of the home-use fridges were almost two hot to touch. I replaced them with Vitrofrigo. The first picture is of the new fridges. Notice the space underneath that allows air flow to the back section of the cabinet. The second picture show the old units with a large vent on the upper side. The other side has the same vent. Those vents, with the Vitrifrigo units have computer muffin fans that operate when the fridges operate. Even in the hottest weather, we cannot crank down to the lowest setting without freezing some things at the back of the fridges.

By the way, the old units were in a cabinet with good ventilation, bottom and back. Think carefully boys and girls.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_143727.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	131069Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150503_121143%20(1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	131070
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
At lot of good points made here, I would like to point out the obvious but seemingly overlooked temperature of the cabin, particularly if you don't run the air conditioner when you are away from the boat. You shouldn't expect great refrigerator performance if the cabin is hotter than a human can stand yet a lot of people seal up their boats unattended with no AC, inadequate ventilation and the poor fridge struggling to pump the same heat back out into a ever hotter cabin. If you really want a system that can do this, best to use a cold plate setup with a thru hull heat sink go expell the heat out of the boat.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #10
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
There are Energy Star-rated home units, of course.

Frost-free might be a useful attribute that's available on AC fridges. Haven't ever seen that on an AC/DC "marine" fridge.

-Chris
Frost free usually is not available on Danfoss compressor marine fridges because the heating element that melts the frost consumes a lot of energy.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We just put in an Isotherm refer that works extremely well. It was the only one that would fit in through the door. We canít turn it all the way up or else it will freeze things in the fridge section. With the doors off it is only 20.5Ē deep which was critical for us to get it in. I had to cut the old one up to get it out the door.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #12
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:

David
I converted a 11 cu ft household fridge to Danfoss, 12 volt only. I also had a custom 6 cu ft freezer built with a Danfoss compressor and 4" insulation after previously using a household freezer. Both of the HH units were run from an inverter while off shorepower. I don't have numbers but my ah usage while on the hook was hugely reduced, to the point of being covered by 700 watts of solar panels where before I'd need 3 hours of daily genset. Whether the most efficient current household appliances are the best way to go in view of cost, I couldn't say. But I'm very happy with my Danfoss 12 volt only set-up even though the cost is significantly higher.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
In the USA, I don't think you can sell a refrigerator anymore without the Energy rating. My experience with my apartment refrigerator verses the Norcold leads me to believe that while an efficient compressor system is important, the box insulation is probably more important. Most RV / marine refrigerators have crap insulation. That's why my apartment unit on the inverter does so much better.

Ted

Worth repeating.

Also be interesting to work it out on a power usage and cost/cubic ft or meter of refrigeration.

I bet the off the shelf house fridge looks even better again
Old 08-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Ft Myers
We have two apartment size fridges and they will kill two 8D batteries overnight. Both are energy star.

On the other boat, we have a norcold,under counter and a danfoss run fridge unit operating an insulated wet locker.

They together get through the night on one 8D, don't know if the difference is the insulation or the cooling unit. Converted them both to an electronic control I found for 15 dollars on amazon or ebay, gives much better control.
Sleeping Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Bear View Post
We have two apartment size fridges and they will kill two 8D batteries overnight. Both are energy star.

On the other boat, we have a norcold,under counter and a danfoss run fridge unit operating an insulated wet locker.

They together get through the night on one 8D, don't know if the difference is the insulation or the cooling unit. Converted them both to an electronic control I found for 15 dollars on amazon or ebay, gives much better control.
Not a criticism, but pretty hard to compare stuff without actual numbers.

My unit is a 10 cuft. refrigerator freezer with a consumption rate of less than 1 killowatt per day.

The rare guest on my boat gets crucified for inventorying my refrigerator as opposed to opening the door, grabbing what you want, and closing the G** D *** door.

Don't know what your 8D battery is, but running 2 refrigerators off of one is probably asking too much.

Ted
Old 08-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #16

City: Dana Point
Vessel Name: BULA
Vessel Model: NAVIGATOR 44
Another issue

We have a Dometic 12v/110 that works well. It seems to cool better on AC, but not that much. We were recently on a 5 night cruise, and our Magnum inverter went out. If we didnít have the 12 v option, we would have to have shortened our cruise. Just a thought.
Rigtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigtyme View Post
We have a Dometic 12v/110 that works well. It seems to cool better on AC, but not that much. We were recently on a 5 night cruise, and our Magnum inverter went out. If we didnít have the 12 v option, we would have to have shortened our cruise. Just a thought.
I had considered that when I originally installed my refrigerator. My solution was to run the generator, but second choice was to have a backup inverter. A 300 to 500 watt inverter (<$100) would do the job nicely.

Ted
Old 08-15-2022, 08:01 PM   #18

City: Goldsboro NC
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3326.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	131221