Freshwater boost pump for wash down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I’m in the process of installing a CruiseRO Watermaker so will have plenty of fresh water. In the front of my boat I have a salt water and a fresh water wash down but I don’t know why I need the salt anymore so want to convert it to be a high pressure fresh one. I have lots of space for a pump next to the connections.
Do they make booster pumps that sit on the pressurized water side and boost to more a pressure washer strength? The only ones I seem to find are designed to take a zero pressure source and only hit 70psi.

Thoughts?

I don't know of any marine booster pumps. You might try your potable water pump. It may provide enough volume to work fine.

David

I use a 70 psi pump on my system and find the pressure wand and orifice make a big difference.

Ted

I'm not sure what application requires that much pressure on a boat. With a good nozzle on the hose, our 50 psi shallow well pump or 40 psi Galley Maid DC pump or the salt water Shurflo washdown pump could knock very sticky mud off the anchor chain and anchor. I never had occasion to wish for more pressure, and those wash downs got a LOT of year around use.

I'd keep the raw water washdown, by the way, as a back up if the freshwater side goes down.

If you insist on going the high pressure pump route, I'd plumb it directly to the tank.

If I was going to put in a pump just for anchor or deck washdown and had the space and power, I'd put in a small power washer style pump. That will take your 40 psi and turn it into 1500 or more. This is massively useful for getting mud off of chain or mold and mildew off of the deck, especially in the PNW. As a bonus, it will use much less water doing it. In 110 AC, pretty cheap to do, even in a professional unit less than $500. Only feasible using fresh water or I'd have put one in long ago.

I think this would work. I have a cat pressure washer pump attached to an electric motor under the boat shed to wash my boats. I do not see why it would not work if you mounted it on the boat.
Something like this but it did not come on a cart. I did buy it from northern tools. The motor and pump fit in a box that is about 14" x 10"
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347872_200347872

Several other options here:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-SalesRank|1

Cat Pumps: World Leader in Triplex High-Pressure Pumps | Home

Electric-Pressure-Washer-Wall-Mount-4GPM-2000-PSI-11M74

If I was going to put in a pump just for anchor or deck washdown and had the space and power, I'd put in a small power washer style pump. That will take your 40 psi and turn it into 1500 or more. This is massively useful for getting mud off of chain or mold and mildew off of the deck, especially in the PNW. As a bonus, it will use much less water doing it. In 110 AC, pretty cheap to do, even in a professional unit less than $500. Only feasible using fresh water or I'd have put one in long ago.

That's what I'm doing this year. Why do you say only feasible using fresh water? I'm in the great lakes and am hooking a small PW to my existing (weak) pump that draws in raw water. A salt water spray for an anchor wash or deck wash seems better than nothing. What am I missing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom