Found the vacuum leak in the sanitary system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
A little background: The boat is a 76 Viking. When I got her a few years ago, she still had a few legacy systems. The sanitary system was originally one of the 70s style that serviced two heads. Vacuum transferred waste to an ≈ 40 gallon holding tank. There, through an amazing rat’s nest of wiring that connected to a cover plate with an attached probe, some sort of electrical and magical waste treatment was supposed to occur prior to overboard release. I don’t recall the name of the system – long gone company.

I ripped out the electrical and salvaged the nice F/G holding tank, vac system. Installed new 3 way and hosing. Kept the old but very serviceable commodes. And found that I had a persistent vacuum leak that required the vac pump to run for the system to work. I further discovered that I could eliminate the vac leak by isolating the aft head from the rest of the system. So, I had a performing one head system. That was fine for the limited pax loading that I use. So, the vac leak migrated lower on the “to do” list and stayed that way for a couple of years.

However, the leak was an irritant, so considerable time was spent on an off and on basis chasing it. Several knowledgeable friends gave it a try. Replaced clamps, a valve or two, hose, commode base seal, etc. Still leaked. I finally turned the problem over to the yard I use for stuff I can’t handle. Their old mechanic (guy in his 70s – my age) went straight to the aft head, pulled the commode, and fought with the “funnel” below the deck until he recovered it. The results are shown below.

The funnel has a brass nipple soldered into its outlet. If you look carefully, you’ll see that the nipple is corroded through for 1/16” or so on its lowest elevation (when installed). The hose was double clamped to the nipple, but without sufficient coverage to bridge the gap. All of this is placed where the nipple/hose penetrates a bulkhead, of course.

I don’t know if this arrangement is still around on newer boats – not likely, I think. But, it may be useful info to somebody who’s wrenching an old boat.

Pics 1 and 2 show the general funnel arrangement.

Pic 3 shows the corroded nipple.

Attachments

• Pic 1 IMG_20190309_144215.jpg
    Pic 1 IMG_20190309_144215.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Pic 2 IMG_20190309_144236.jpg
    Pic 2 IMG_20190309_144236.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Pic 3  IMG_20190309_144200.jpg
    Pic 3 IMG_20190309_144200.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 67
Nice story!

I had a vacuum leak on the master stateroom head, and when it was very quiet I could hear the leak. So removed everything down to the funnel, cleaned some stuff and replaced a bunch with new Vacuflush parts, and problem fixed.

But the forward head has a leak as well, and no noise that I can detect. But it is likely the same problem. I have the replacement parts, but so far not the inclination to do the tear-down, clean etc. Like you, it is down the list. But I really ought to fix it soon.....

If I'd have just worked the problem aft forward instead of fore to aft, I'd have saved a couple of years. However, this way I've basically rebuilt the system. [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom