Flushing the AC system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I want to fresh water flush the AC system and then run some barnacle buster through the system. Question : Can I push it or force it through the water pump into the system out the other end and catch it, or do I need to connect it after the AC pump? My pump is the Sr. Paragon Pump System, 30 years old and still running well.

Joe

On our last boat I would use a Trac flushing adapter for the strainer. I would either use a hand pump to push in the solution or turn on the A/C pump momentarily to pull it in. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I put a hose bib in the side at the bottom. Then a short garden hose from the bucket to the flushing adapter. Only took a couple of minutes to do.

So in your case you didn't force water/barnacle through the pump, you let the pump suck it in as it would normally. I'm wondering if forcing water/barnacle though a non running pump can do any damage to it.

The Brockerts

The preferred method is to disconnect the hoses at the unit and run the flush through the exchanger coil only. This is where most attachment and growth occurs and it is much more efficient to run a flushing loop for a half hour or so. Fresh water flushing should be adequate for hoses- detached from your cooling water pump. Barnacle Buster is supposed to be safe for pump seals but the cooling water pump is going to be clean and we always isolate it out of an abundance of caution.
For on board access I use a 5 gallon pail with a small 12 volt little giant (any submersible pump will do) in the bottom and just the hoses and power cord coming out the top. Poor man's version of the professional rigs - they have nicer fittings.

I have these fittings on all of my Perko strainers. Makes flushing and winterizing a breeze. Connect a water hose to it for flushing or I hook it up to a bucket full of antifreeze for winterizing. 0FA1F272-146A-4F29-9D2A-5EA8942E1FFF.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom