Flojet waterpump will not shut off by itself..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
There is an automatic sensor/switch which senses the waterpressure and slows down, speed up and shut off the waterpump all depending on the water pressure..
It runs fine, there is water in the tank and there are no leaks and no air trapped in the system, it just keeps pumping (the water pressure is much higher than usual if i let it keep running).
the model is a flojet R4525.

Anyone have recommendations?
Guess i can just flip the switch whenever we need to run water but i'd rather have it working properly...

Not 100% sure but id look at the possibility that it Could be that it needs an accumulator tank, wired wrong or the pressure shut off it shagged.

Have you contacted the manufacturer or googled searched your question?

Someone with more experience than I will chime in I'm sure. :)

I had a similar problem three years ago and it turned out to be a faulty pressure switch.

Pressure switch. Buy a new pump cost about 150 bucks.

Some pump makers offer rebuild kits for their pumps. Cheaper than buying a new one if you have the time, tools, and skill to pull the old one and overhaul it.

Not 100% sure but id look at the possibility that it Could be that it needs an accumulator tank, wired wrong or the pressure shut off it shagged.

Have you contacted the manufacturer or googled searched your question?

Someone with more experience than I will chime in I'm sure. :)

Assuming that it was working fine up to this point, it doesn't need an accumulator tank and it's not wired wrong. Something has failed, most likely the pressure switch.

The switch can be replaced or the entire pump can be replaced. A replacement pump is more costly, but it's a much easier job.

Assuming that it was working fine up to this point, it doesn't need an accumulator tank and it's not wired wrong. Something has failed, most likely the pressure switch.

The switch can be replaced or the entire pump can be replaced. A replacement pump is more costly, but it's a much easier job.

Ah there it is. "Assume" ... Pretty sure I said "I'm not sure" and I'm pretty sure I said "it may be the switch"

There may have been extra outlets fitted to the plumbing system or any number of other situations requiring a AT.

The wiring may have been routed through a circuit that had an appliance remove rendering the it inoperative. May have been in poor condition and shorting out on itself

It doesn't pay to be shallow minded and assume things when trying to fault find

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. You DO have a point regarding changes to the system that would affect performance but the way I read it, which seems to be the same way Mr. rwidman reads it, is that this not shutting off is a NEW phenomenon not caused by Mr. Per's changes and we both (myself, Mr. rwidman and everyone else it seems) are ASSUMING that it does not need an AT nor the wiring changed. The ONLY thing we CAN do is assume because none of us is there.

Don't be so darn cheap like me. Break the kids piggy bank and buy a new pump. They can play with it when they visit the boat. Sort of like visiting rights.:D

Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. You DO have a point regarding changes to the system that would affect performance but the way I read it, which seems to be the same way Mr. rwidman reads it, is that this not shutting off is a NEW phenomenon not caused by Mr. Per's changes and we both (myself, Mr. rwidman and everyone else it seems) are ASSUMING that it does not need an AT nor the wiring changed. The ONLY thing we CAN do is assume because none of us is there.

Hi RTF.
My issue is not with assuming perse' . I was merely eluding to the fact that totally writing off other suggestions is narrow minded to not at least think of other possibilities that may help the OP.

I'm not having a go at assuming... gees! What do you think I'm doing to come up with this list of suggestions Lol

Last edited:
Sounds like the switch , and when a part fails , it probably will again.

I would install an accumulator (2gal or bigger) and a pressure switch from Home Cheapo.

The contacts are usually far larger than yachty stuff , so even operating on DC it will last a very long time.

And if you are in Bora Bora . filing the points will get another 6 months to find out how the natives operate their well pumps.

hola mola, so many great replies... thank you all very much.
yes it is a solid state PS, i found a trouble shooting "manual" online somewhere, it says to test it against the southpole part of a magnet? sounds like this is the culprit, yes a service kit can be purchased but is it really worth while..
i am getting a new pump, and fixing the old as a spare..

hola mola, so many great replies... thank you all very much.
yes it is a solid state PS, i found a trouble shooting "manual" online somewhere, it says to test it against the southpole part of a magnet? sounds like this is the culprit, yes a service kit can be purchased but is it really worth while..
i am getting a new pump, and fixing the old as a spare..

Good plan. :thumb: Isn't boat ownership fun? ;)

I stopped using Flojet pumps because every one I installed eventually developed this same problem. It was the failure of the pressure switch. As a full time live-aboard we use the pump every day. If your are a weekend warrior it will probably last much longer because of little use. If you buy a new switch, it is the same as the one that failed and is a pretty good bet it will eventually fail also. Older Flojet pumps lasted for years without any problems so if you have one that's been operating for ten years, it does not have the same pressure switch as the new ones. Get a new pump and not a Flojet. You'll spend more replacing parts in the long run. Chuck

I had a similar problem with another type of pump. I traced it to a tee and valve that fed the hand pump for the sink in the aft head from the same water line that fed the electric pump. It made the pump suck some air. Colsed the valve and solved the problem.

I stopped using Flojet pumps because every one I installed eventually developed this same problem. It was the failure of the pressure switch. As a full time live-aboard we use the pump every day. If your are a weekend warrior it will probably last much longer because of little use. If you buy a new switch, it is the same as the one that failed and is a pretty good bet it will eventually fail also. Older Flojet pumps lasted for years without any problems so if you have one that's been operating for ten years, it does not have the same pressure switch as the new ones. Get a new pump and not a Flojet. You'll spend more replacing parts in the long run. Chuck

What do you use mate?

I had a similar problem with another type of pump. I traced it to a tee and valve that fed the hand pump for the sink in the aft head from the same water line that fed the electric pump. It made the pump suck some air. Colsed the valve and solved the problem.

Yes, a leak on the suction side will cause the pump to continue to run. In this case the OP stated
the water pressure is much higher than usual if i let it keep running).

That eliminates a suction side leak as the cause in his case.

Sureflow has been the least trouble .

PAR is the worst I have lived with.

Our pump is a Surflo bought at West Marine. We been a live aboard for 16 years, and use the pump every day as we fill the water tanks as I do not trust connecting a hose to the dock water. Had to replace the Surflo pump twice. When this pump does out I will replace it with another Surflo. I also prefer the low 30 psi its easier on the pipes and use less water.

Older Flojet pumps lasted for years without any problems so if you have one that's been operating for ten years, it does not have the same pressure switch as the new ones. Get a new pump and not a Flojet. You'll spend more replacing parts in the long run. Chuck

Like I said.

wish i had read about the Flojet pump related problems earlier.
wouldnt have replaced with same which i think is a newer pump, probably around 5 years old (it was in the boat when we got it a few years ago) and i am guessing it was not newly installed then. So perhaps a product life of 5-6 years is my guess.
too bad it was a sensor problem as the pump part was working just fine..
According to the dealer the sensor is part of the motor so not really fixable, just throwing money at it, cheaper to buy new.

Our Shurflo pump (2088-414-934) gave up the ghost yesterday- same problem as has been described here.. I replaced it with a Shurflo 4901 Extreme.

All is good!

Most of these pumps crap out because of the pressure switch.

So in purchasing the "next" pump look for a non built in removable switch .

IF the switch has a metal fitting where it screws into the pump housing , the dead switch can be operated on and a std common plumbing end soldered on.

A house style unit ($18. at ACE) can then be fitted.

Why live with designed failure?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom