Fleet guard refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
I have a Cummins 6BT5.9. I bought 2002 32/34' Nordic Tug, with a Cummins 6BT5.9. Reading the manual they recommend using a Fleetguard refractometer, P/N CC-2800, to check the antifreeze concentration.

Question: This particular refractometer costs over $200 yet refractometers advertised on Amazon sell for $21. I assume the cheap one is plastic but is the accuracy the same or sufficient?

Why does the Fleetguard refractometer cost so much?

Why does the Fleetguard refractometer cost so much?
Because it's more accurate. But the cheap ones are accurate enough for what you need.

You will find the same kind of difference in a lot of equipment.
DMM, handtools, instruments. I'll add that a lot also depends upon the accuracy needed.
If you use it every day in your work it usually pays to buy the good stuff.

If you use it once or twice a year and are reasonably carefull with it the cheaper one will likely do 90% as well.

Most of my tools are good ones but i have bought a few things that even though they were cheap they were still a waste of money. Of course I have other cheaper stuff that used with a bit of care still do me just fine.

Last edited:
Dive,
I have a NT 37 with a similar engine (have an aftercooler as well). I use a refractor I bought off Amazon. I check specific gravity on my lead acid battery bank (6 golf carts) and to check coolant. It seems reasonably well made, and is accurate enough for my purposes. I have cross checked it on the batteries. As stated by others just treat it carefully, probably not as well built as the Fleetguard, but I could buy about 7 replacements for the cost of the Fleetguard. On Amazon, check out reviews, recommendations (all with a grain of salt) and you should do fine.

Thank you for the quick response. I just wanted to be certain that there is a substantial difference in quality to justify the cost and not merely a $21 refractometer marked up to $200 just because Cummins recommended it. I will buy both and make a comparison myself.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom