Espar user forum or technical support forum ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawler_traveler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shiplet
Vessel Make
382 Diesel Duck
We decided to replace our Espar heater (with a blown blower) with a new model Airtronics Espar heater. We bought the new heater through Esparparts.com.

We're having some trouble getting timely support from Esparparts regarding missing connectors and are wondering if there is/are any Espar user or technical support forums ?

We have the pinouts for the wiring so thats not a problem, we'd just prefer to stick with the same kind of connectors if we make our own connection harness, just to ease any future repair or maintenance.

I suspect the 8 and 6 pin connector blocks are some kind of industry standard but I need to find out what it is.

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 6.59.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 6.59.29 PM.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 41
They look like standard Deutsch crimp connectors. Lots of info online

I’ve installed a few Espar furnaces, mostly the hydronic ones though.

What I did is come off of that first connector in the upper part of your photo, and go to a terminal strip.

From there you can wire in anything you need.

Hi Kevin,

I’ve installed a few Espar furnaces, mostly the hydronic ones though. ...

I'm basically taking your advice since Espar is being unresponsive now that I've bought the replacement furnace. I do have two questions for you based on your experience.

First, did any on the heaters you installed have a separate self-regulating feed-pump (in addition to the metering pump) ? If so, did you wire them in parallel ? There are no pinouts that I see for a separate feed-pump when a gravity-tank is not used.

Second, the power coming to the furnace is supplied by heavy cables going through a 40 Amp fuse. The power going into the new Airtronics goes through a 5 Amp fuse and what looks like 12 ga. wires. Do you know if the Airtronic uses a spark igniter rather than a glow-plug or why the power requirement is just 1/8th of what it was in the old heater ?

Thanks,

-Sven

I have an Espar D-7 in my boat. A few years ago I was having some trouble and found a repairman that was willing to help over the internet. I don't know if he is still around. You can search for him. His name is Brian Silk and runs out of Vancouver, BC. Good Luck!

The connectors may be Molex units. Both Deutsch and Molex, among others, make many different connectors all using their own design, bodies, pins and sockets.

ALthough I have nothing to do with the Espar furnae I would seriously consider K Sanders suggestion of a good quality terminal strip for the connections and ring terminals.

I have used the above connectors and several other mfgrs and although excellent they can be a major PIA without the proper crimpers and the pins and sockets. The crimpers and removal tools to correct the inevitable booboo, are not cheap although I have seen what look like decent units for a lot less money than when I started. I now have several specialty crimpers worth north of a couple thousand dollars. They are very good ones but even the cheaper ones are likely going to cost you several hundred.

Then if you ever need to do a repair on the move if you don't have that crimper and a stock of the pins and sockets you are still out of luck. At least with a decent terminal strip and the crimp ring terminals field repair can be done easily depending upon access.

Weather resistance can be assured by a dry location, heat shrink crimps and use of a paste such as NoALox or an electrical dielectric [ silicone grease].

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom