Espar D7L 30 AM fuse blowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
Hello,
I have an Espar D7L heater on my Californian. The furnace will start and run for 10 minutes, working apparently well. Then the blade fuse which is at the furnace (30 amp was in it when we bought the boat, not sure if correct size) will blow. Any remedy or suggestions>

Thanks

sam

Those things draw a lot of power. If your voltage is dropping for any reason while its running - ie. bad batteries or bad connections - then your amps will go up and there goes the fuse. Check the volts at the unit while its running and compare that to the volts at the batteries. The Espar manual has really good troubleshooting sequences in it if you can get your hands on one of them.

Sorry Bob, my question was intended for Sam. I do have digital manuals if you or Sam are interested. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you. About 6 meg in total.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have an Espar D7L heater on my Californian. The furnace will start and run for 10 minutes, working apparently well. Then the blade fuse which is at the furnace (30 amp was in it when we bought the boat, not sure if correct size) will blow. Any remedy or suggestions>

Thanks

sam
If you think the fuse is original and an exact replacement keeps blowing, you have a problem with the appliance. If you're not experience with this type of work, you should probably call in a pro.

If you don't think the fuse is original or don't know, you should find out from the manufacturer what value and type of fuse should be installed. All 30 amp fuses, even blade fuses, are not the same. Some are designed to ignore brief surges in current, others are not.

If you've had the boat (or the furnace) for a while and it used to work fine but is now blowing fuses, there is most likely a problem with it and it should be serviced.

If you've had the boat (or the furnace) for a while and it used to work fine but is now blowing fuses, there is most likely a problem with it and it should be serviced.

I would agree, if it runs for ~10min and then the fuse blows, it would be due to an inrush of something picking up ( maybe the ignitor Tx ). A slow blow may help but I would suggest there is another issue.

Elwin

Thanks. It was low voltage issue.

It was low voltage issue.

Usually tiny wires will keep the unit from starting with much regularity.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom