Emergency Tiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Do you have an Emergency Tiller?
Do you know how to use it? Did your boat come with one?*
I am in the process of fabricating a hand tiller Just in case I loose steering. I would be interested in knowing what you may have and how it is set up.

SD

my albin came with an emergency tiller. i have a deck plate that opens up with a nice stainless pipe that connects to the top of my starboard rudder (rudders are linked together) and has a nice teak handle so you can steer on the aft deck. have never needed to use it but im happy its there!

Right on.
Can you see to drive from there?

SD

Our boat came with a tiller there is a hole in the plywood under the matress in the aft cabin and it slips over the rudder post. There is NO way you can see anything from down there.

skipperdude wrote:

Do you have an Emergency Tiller?
Do you know how to use it? Did your boat come with one?
Yes, yes, and yes.* All GBs came with these.* At least all GBs with cable/chain steering did.* In our case it's stored in the lazarette.* To use it the deckplate in the starboard lazarette hatch cover is removed, the tiller inserted down through it and its big bronze base is slipped over the large square fitting on the top of the starboard rudder post.* The connection between the two rudders is a heavy bronze rod so steering one rudder steers the other even if he cable/chain linkage to the wheel has broken.

Single engine GBs have the same arrangement although their tillers will obviously be on the centerline of the boat.

The boat came with one but I improved/modified it to a pillow block bearing for better support rather than just slipping over the rudder stub shaft. I can see by looking down the side decks, but I made it so it can be tied/secure the rudder in a straight line and would steer using the bow thruster from the pilothouse, so I really dont have to be able to see from the back deck.

It's not for steering, its for straightening our the rudders if your hydraulics fail. Then you steer by putting more power on one side or the other. Works great.

Unless you have a single.

Mine came with one. Just open the lazarette hatch and put it on the tiller post. Thank goodness I've never had to use it!

-- Edited by Keith on Saturday 3rd of April 2010 10:13:27 AM

Same as Keith on my little ship. *Open the lazarette hatch and put the tiller on the post on the steering quadrant. *Easy to set up; completely impossible to see where you're going from there!

With hydraulic steering life would get very interesting, very quickly, should the system spring a major leak. *I check the lines often, and make sure the insurance policy is up to date!
biggrin.gif

Mike
34'CHB
ChristyLee
Brookings, OR

-- Edited by coyote454 on Saturday 3rd of April 2010 10:48:44 AM

The coastguard carry's them on their 41' UTBs, and trains with them regularly. One man operates the rudder, with instructions from the helm. I've done it, and it works well if you actually practice it once in a while.

Mine came with one. I think I can stand at my upper station and steer it with a boat hook although I've never had to try it.

My Clipper (CHB) 34 has a round cover-plate in the aft cockpit over the top of the steering quadrant.* I made an extension tiller from an old oar so I can see past the cabin for direction from either side, and set 2 screws into the handle to twist the cover-plate open with.* See pics.* Again, never had to use, but would be really glad to have if necessary.

Attachments

• image080.jpg
    image080.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 86
  • image082.jpg
    image082.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 78
When you think about it, if you have a bow thruster, you have an emergency tiller.
When the bolt connecting the steering arm to the rudder fell out, we kept the bow into the wind whlie I put the bolt back in.

X,
When we surveyed our boat for purchase apparently the AP got turned on by accident. The surveyor steered it the 1/2 mile or so to haul out using the throttles and trannies (twins). All the time fighting the AP. I was very impressed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom