Old 08-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #41

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Keep this information coming, great tips! I can’t wait to be at haul out next week to check all my found knowledge out on these shafts and boxes. This is all new to me and I am not afraid to admit it, feel I know what I’m looking for and looking at...now
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:31 AM   #42

City: World
Vessel Name: SeaWitch
Vessel Model: 47' Cheoy Lee SeaMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Comparing an old stuffing setup with no maintenance to a new dripless is not even a comparison.

One who has dealt with both and know the ins and outs can hardly find a real difference between the two....except initial cost.
"No maintenance" is replacing the bellow and O-Rings every 5 years (use to be, now every 6 years), and maybe the graphite seal if there are any scratches. And this by the way is the manufacturer recommendations.
https://waggonerguide.com/dripless-s...ntenance-free/
SeaMaster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaster101 View Post
"No maintenance" is replacing the bellow and O-Rings every 5 years (use to be, now every 6 years), and maybe the graphite seal if there are any scratches. And this by the way is the manufacturer recommendations.
https://waggonerguide.com/dripless-s...ntenance-free/
How true.....

I ran MANY different boats with PSS seals as a professional captain....if that's the only maintenance then it's slightly less than a traditional box done well.

Often, it's not.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:50 AM   #44
FF
Guru

The No maint style usually requires the shaft coupling to be removed so the new goodies can be installed.

Modern packing (Duramax or equal) can be done in the water with little hassle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #45

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Well I am happy to say and yes I had my doubts on the old school boxes! We are 2 months in and approx 50hrs, and the old school boxes are pretty good I have to say.
At the beginning was a learning curve when we picked up the boat. First one was hot and adjust then the other one got hot. Now I have them dialed in they are ice cold and maybe give me a cup of water in 10 hrs. Not sure how many drips that is exactly but I think it’s good.
I do have a question thought, I have a ball valve attach to each shaft tube that goes to a thru hull. Not sure of its function almost seems like a dripless scenario?
Are the rudder boxes the same for adjusting, mine are moist around the tubes, and water does accumulate, very very little. Same idea loosen lock and snug packing?
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:48 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Rudder boxes can be adjusted tighter than prop shaft boxes since rudders shafts don’t spin fast like a prop shaft. Mine don’t drip at all. My prop shaft boxes do have a barbed fitting that has a hose from the engine cooling water to help keep the boxes cool. Mine are traditional boxes. I use Duramax packing and they don’t drip either after the initial 10 hours or so run in. Then they can be adjusted to no drip.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote