Drain cleaner that "eats" hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not expect a cleaner that will not damage the hoses on a boat to actually eat hair. If I was told that it “eats” the hair, I would assume that it will disolve the gunk that has trapped the hair in a blob. To actually eat the hair you are looking at a powerful acid that may damage the hose or float valve in sumps. If you have a dog hair problem you will likely need to do a mechanical removal and then put in a prevention system to stop the hair from getting into the drains in the first place. The problem is that everyone wants a magic elixer that they just dump down the drain and the problem is gone. That isn’t realistic. Bite the bullet and clean out the hair mechanically and then put strainers on the drains. And BTW, everyone here really appreciates Peggy and all the free advice she gives us. Try not to piss her off so she doesn’t stop helping us.

If you are referencing my claim that CP cleaner does not eat hair then its very true. I ran an experiment, it does NOT eat hair. I even contacted Raritan engineering and they confirmed the same.

Raritan engineering wouldn't know because consumables aren't made "in house." Some are made by labs under contract (C.P. is no longer made by the lab who made it for us, but I don't know who does), and some are private label versions of similar products...for instance, Raritan C.H. is a private label version of Sew Clean Sew Clean

It would be one thing if a random person was saying CP cleaner eats hair and they happened to be wrong. Then that is just usual internet misinformation. However you have someone that profited (or may still be profiting) that made the product claiming it does one thing and it does NOT.

Apparently you failed to notice that I put "eats" in quotation marks. (see post #7 in the thread at shower sump goop cleaner - Page 3 - Trawler Forum And apparently you also failed to notice my statement in post #17 in that thread that I do not receive ANY compensation for recommending ANY product, and haven't since 1999. Nor do I sell ANYTHING, not even my own books except for signed copy promotions (somehow I doubt you'd want one).

I also was told the formula has not been changed so I don't think it ever successfully ate hair.

I don't know how they'd know that because Raritan doesn't have formulas for any of the consumable products they sell....those are proprietary to their suppliers.

If you notice Peggie never answered in the other thread where I posted my findings.

I did respond...see post #27 same thread. You just didn't like my response. And I'd have been glad to help you find something that does a better job of dealing with excessive amounts of hair than C.P. can if you'd asked instead of attacking me personally. If this is how you treat everyone, I suspect all your relationships and associations are short and disappointing.

Good luck in your quest for the right product.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself."
--Albert Einstein

I dont know what difference quotation marks makes when someone says something "eats" something. It had zero effect. I will venture an educated guess that Raritan does know the formula or knows enough about it that their engineers will know if it eats hair. Companies will not blindly sell something labeled with their name without knowing what makes it up. A few members have PM'd me and shed light on past history with your postings. Its not even the fact that I spent $100+ on the products but that I wasted my time trying to chase them down because only one West Marine had them stocked and I had to go further than my normal store (hence why I bought so many bottles and cleared them out). Instead of saying "my bad it doesnt eat" you got all defensive. I don't mind being called out if and when I am wrong. It seems Cleans Potties only is meant to tackle naturally occurring odors. There are many other products a fraction of the cost that do the same. Pet cleaners with enzymes are pretty much the same and they are about 1/3 of the cost.

Last edited:
I would not expect a cleaner that will not damage the hoses on a boat to actually eat hair. If I was told that it “eats” the hair, I would assume that it will disolve the gunk that has trapped the hair in a blob. To actually eat the hair you are looking at a powerful acid that may damage the hose or float valve in sumps. If you have a dog hair problem you will likely need to do a mechanical removal and then put in a prevention system to stop the hair from getting into the drains in the first place. The problem is that everyone wants a magic elixer that they just dump down the drain and the problem is gone. That isn’t realistic. Bite the bullet and clean out the hair mechanically and then put strainers on the drains. And BTW, everyone here really appreciates Peggy and all the free advice she gives us. Try not to piss her off so she doesn’t stop helping us.

Cooling systems cleaners contain acids and they are run through boat engines and generators. Some due diligence needs to be done though to make sure there are no metals or materials that might interact poorly though. I am not a chemist so have to research / consult some experts.

On that note, Raritan sells a product called "Cleans Hoses" I am wondering if that might do the trick. I have to read up on it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:
My point about using caustic cleaners is that I would rather not use them in my hoses because the cleaners may shorten the life of the hoses. Then I have to replace them, which is never as easy as you would like it to be. So I try to make the hoses last as long as possible by treating them as gently as possible.

My point about using caustic cleaners is that I would rather not use them in my hoses because the cleaners may shorten the life of the hoses. Then I have to replace them, which is never as easy as you would like it to be. So I try to make the hoses last as long as possible by treating them as gently as possible.

gotcha, yea, hoses on engines/gensets do need to be replaced eventually.. got what you are saying.. thank you

And BTW, everyone here really appreciates Peggy and all the free advice she gives us. Try not to piss her off so she doesn’t stop helping us.

Agree wholeheartedly. Peggie has been spot on in DMs to me when I’ve reached out to her.

Have you used muriatic acid for this? At home, we're on a septic/mound system. Once a year or so, I put a bit of muriatic acid down the shower drain to dissolve white deposits that form and that threaten to clog the pipe. Given the small amount of acid relative to 3,000 gallons of tank it seems to have no adverse effect on the bio culture in the tanks, and it does seem to "eat" hair. Just curious what your experience would be.
Muriatic acid is the go-to solution for toilets & urinals that have built up urea salts deposits. Old American standard closets had a "starter hole" in the trapway that would occlude with salts, then would flush sluggish. A quart of "Sizzle"- Oatey's trade marketing for muriatic acid (HCl) would clear the accumulation and the closet would flush normally.

Muriatic acid has little effect on tub or lav drains that typically load with a soup of soap scum, skin and hair. Mostly proteins. For that, sulfuric or a base product would be more effective. Sulfuric acid in a drain is risky business. It should not be used without eye shield and gloves. It can create exothermic heat and gas vigorously, creating a nasty blowback. Plus, if someone decides to treat the drain and it doesn't move, then you have a line full of sulfuric acid to take apart or run a cable through. Just a first class cluster of problems. Any sort of magical liquid treatment in a drain that's got standing water is just ASKING for problems. Those shortcuts can really bite.
But to answer the question about a acid in the septic, it generally is neutralized by the time it reaches the tank, so it shouldn't upset the tank terribly. Clorox, OTOH will shut down the bacteria in the tank and can be very bad for a septic system. The septic tank isn't what suffers, it's the drain field that is fouled if the septic tank overloads with solids that push out into the drain field. It can clog & destroy the drain field. That's why it's a good idea to have a tank pumped routinely. Biologics are a good thing for septic systems.

Last edited:
Muriatic acid is the go-to solution for toilets & urinals that have built up urea salts deposits. Old American standard closets had a "starter hole" in the trapway that would occlude with salts, then would flush sluggish. A quart of "Sizzle"- Oatey's trade marketing for muriatic acid (HCl) would clear the accumulation and the closet would flush normally.

Muriatic acid has little effect on tub or lav drains that typically load with a soup of soap scum, skin and hair. Mostly proteins. For that, sulfuric or a base product would be more effective. Sulfuric acid in a drain is risky business. It should not be used without eye shield and gloves. It can create exothermic heat and gas vigorously, creating a nasty blowback. Plus, if someone decides to treat the drain and it doesn't move, then you have a line full of sulfuric acid to take apart or run a cable through. Just a first class cluster of problems. Any sort of magical liquid treatment in a drain that's got standing water is just ASKING for problems. Those shortcuts can really bite.
But to answer the question about a acid in the septic, it generally is neutralized by the time it reaches the tank, so it woun't upset the tank terribly. Clorox, OTOH will shut down the bacteria in the tank and can be very bad for a septic system. The septic tank isn't what suffers, it's the drain field that is fouled if the septic tank overloads with solids that push out into the drain field. It can destroy the drain field. That's why it's a good idea to have a tank pumped routinely. Biologics are a good thing for septic systems.

Thanks Steve.

As mentioned on the first page, what's wrong with Lye (sodium hydroxide)?

It's the go-to for this at home; It's not as easy to find any more or as cheap since the government doesn't trust you with it anymore, but it's possible to get it. It works; it dissolves fats (grease), soap scum, and hair, and is fast.

Temporary exposure in the marine plumbing shouldn't be an issue if it's washed out after working.

I dont know what difference quotation marks makes when someone says something "eats" something. It had zero effect. I will venture an educated guess that Raritan does know the formula or knows enough about it that their engineers will know if it eats hair. Companies will not blindly sell something labeled with their name without knowing what makes it up. A few members have PM'd me and shed light on past history with your postings. Its not even the fact that I spent $100+ on the products but that I wasted my time trying to chase them down because only one West Marine had them stocked and I had to go further than my normal store (hence why I bought so many bottles and cleared them out). Instead of saying "my bad it doesnt eat" you got all defensive. I don't mind being called out if and when I am wrong. It seems Cleans Potties only is meant to tackle naturally occurring odors. There are many other products a fraction of the cost that do the same. Pet cleaners with enzymes are pretty much the same and they are about 1/3 of the cost.
Might be bit difficult to make a second batch of the stuff if they didn't know the formula....

As mentioned on the first page, what's wrong with Lye (sodium hydroxide)?

It's the go-to for this at home; It's not as easy to find any more or as cheap since the government doesn't trust you with it anymore, but it's possible to get it. It works; it dissolves fats (grease), soap scum, and hair, and is fast.

Temporary exposure in the marine plumbing shouldn't be an issue if it's washed out after working.

Now that is a good idea. If it's good enough for people trying to dispose of bodies, it should be good enough for a bit of dog hair.

On that note, Raritan sells a product called "Cleans Hoses" I am wondering if that might do the trick. I have to read up on it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I do, sorta... in a round-about way.

I had our toilet discharge hose open, disconnected, for over a week or more while I was waiting for parts to replace the joker valve. (It was only the 3 little screws; the heads had been buggered on the old ones, so I thought time to fix it better... who knew they were "special" screws...but I digress.)

During that time, apparently the concentration of uric acid crystals (I think what Peggie has called struvites) seemed to have dried out, completely clogged the hose. After I was finally able to get the plumber's snake back OUT of that obstruction, having made no discernible progress...

I happened to think that the Barnacle Buster I had on board is made by the same people who make Sew Clean (Raritan's CH)... maybe worth a try. I called Trac, and they confirmed BB and SC are basically the same stuff, and that BB just has a few more anti-marine-growth additives. He advised me to dilute the BB using SC directions instead of BB directions (1:5 instead of 1:4, I think)...

And about an hour later I was seeing signs that the clog was loosening.

I think I let the stuff soak in the hose for 4 hours each, over two treatments, all fixed.

That wasn't about dog hairs, though, so dunno how SC (or CH) would work against a clog of dog hair. We seldom let the dog use the toilet, so didn't have that problem there...

Eventually the "special" new screws arrived. :)

(I hope my use of quotation marks is sufficient to indicate the screws were not literally all that special.)

-Chris

Last edited:
Eventually the "special" new screws arrived. :)

(I hope my use of quotation marks is sufficient to indicate the screws were not literally all that special.)

-Chris

Oh, but they really were. Otherwise you wouldn't have spent that much money for them.

TF'ers,

I am in the search of a safe cleaner that "eats" hair. Peggie had said that her CP cleaner product "eats" hair but after testing, I found that not to be the case.

I have a dog that sheds and a SO that sheds. I have put strainers on all sinks and interior drains. I think that it catches 99% of hair in the sinks and the ones on the shower drains catch maybe 95% (some times they get moved out of place). I also have several exterior drains, one of which has started to drain slow. I am guessing my dog's hair has clogged that one in particular. I also wouldn't mind putting something in the toilets. I have two heads, seven sink/shower drains, and a few exterior drains. I am guessing that the stuff that you would put into your home plumbing is definitely not a good idea for boat plumbing (and its not even a great idea for home plumbing).

So does anyone know of a magical product that is safe for boat plumbing and will in fact "eat" hair?

Thanks!
Anything that can eat hair cant be safe.

I remember making Drano bombs as a kid. Bigger is better right? Myself and another spent a week picking glass out of the back of his house. I’m surprised that I’m still here today.

Several years ago, before age and creaky knees got me, my wife and I owned and sailed a beautiful wooden ketch....pride of the marina. Our adult daughter would sail with us and bring her Bassett hound and Lab. It was like a switch, they got on the boat and immediately began depositing hair that would mat like felt over the cockpit drains. I flushed them, I backwashed them, I picked up hair mats, when I sold the boat (creaky knees), I was still finding dog hair in the drains.
No...I don't know anything that "eats hair" at least that also doesn't eat boat parts.

If your system will handle it, 2 or 3 coffee pots worth of scalding water may help. I do this as a regular service and it keeps things moving nicely, softens soap scum and proteins. I have pvc waste lines, ymmv.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom