Old 04-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Double stainless clamps on all hoses?

Many raw water hose connections on Escape have double stainless steel hose clamps securing hoses to fittings, but not all of them. Do you guys have double clamps on all raw water connections at or below the waterline?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7388.jpeg  

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Mr. HtT. Yes. IF the hose barbs are long enough.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
cks
Veteran Member

City: Oradell
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: 2003 42’ Grand Banks Europa
Three rules regarding double clamps on all raw water hoses below the water line including all wet exhaust holes.

Rule #1: ALWAYS DOUBLE CLAMP ALL RAW WATER HOSES!

Rule #2: Any questions arise as to whether or not to double clamp raw water hoses below the waterline, refer to rule #1.

Rule #3: if after reading rule number two there remains any question whether or not to double clamp raw water hoses below the waterline, refer to rule #2.

Putting aside my smart ass comments above, it’s always a very good idea to double clamp hoses. If there’s not enough room to double clamp with half inch hose clamps, use narrower hose clamps and double clamp. don’t go cheap. It’s the most inexpensive insurance one can purchase. More often than not I’ve seen clamps fail. If there’s crevice corrosion, rust ( not stainless), a deteriorating screw, band cracks or any other untold failure mechanism of a clamp, there’s a secondary clamp securing the hose. Remember, while the hose may be tight even when the clamp may have “let go” ,nothing vibrates tight over time.
cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
On every boat I’ve ever owned there’s double ss 90 degree rotated from each other on all through hulls near or under the waterline. Also on all hose connections after anti siphon valves on discharge side of outputs.and all connections on raw water intake side. Cheap insurance. This includes discharges (sinks, sump pumps, AC etc.) as well not just raw water intakes as those can sink your boat as well. . We also use a nut driver not a screw driver to tighten them. With a screw driver you can think they’re tight when they’re not. There’s a wide variance in the quality of these clamps so avoid the cheap ones.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cks View Post
Three rules regarding double clamps on all raw water hoses below the water line including all wet exhaust holes.

Rule #1: ALWAYS DOUBLE CLAMP ALL RAW WATER HOSES!

Rule #2: Any questions arise as to whether or not to double clamp raw water hoses below the waterline, refer to rule #1.

Rule #3: if after reading rule number two there remains any question whether or not to double clamp raw water hoses below the waterline, refer to rule #2.
Hehe, those rules make a ton of sense. Definitely cheap insurance. The previous owner even had an assortment box of 316 stainless clamps! This feels like a two day project to me. Thanks for the reality check, guys.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
With all due respect guys, I would prefer to have a single quality clamp with no perforations than two perforated clamps. Of course I would prefer two quality clamps if there is room. That is ABYC's position.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
On every boat I’ve ever owned there’s double ss 90 degree rotated from each other on all through hulls near or under the waterline. Also on all hose connections after anti siphon valves on discharge side of outputs.and all connections on raw water intake side. Cheap insurance. This includes discharges (sinks, sump pumps, AC etc.) as well not just raw water intakes as those can sink your boat as well. . We also use a nut driver not a screw driver to tighten them. With a screw driver you can think they’re tight when they’re not. There’s a wide variance in the quality of these clamps so avoid the cheap ones.
I have mine opposite side or 180 from each other, otherwise totally agree.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I use AWAB or ABA clamps. They are all 316 S/S and do not have screw slots. They also have rolled egges so they don’t cut into the hoses. Always double clamp unless the hose barb is too short to fit 2 clamps. I have a flexible driver to tighten them, it will bend to get at the clamp screw.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #9
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
Yes Steve you’re right. Should said at least 90 degrees
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
David and Dave are absolutely right on a very important point IMO. Clamps are NOT the place to get lazy or cheap out.
Here's a link to one of CMS articles with more details and good pics for illustration.
https://marinehowto.com/proper-insta...e-hose-clamps/

While I am a believer, I can't swear to being 100% in compliance so I honestly need to add a careful survey of all of mine to the top of the spring project list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
With all due respect guys, I would prefer to have a single quality clamp with no perforations than two perforated clamps. Of course I would prefer two quality clamps if there is room. That is ABYC's position.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I use AWAB or ABA clamps. They are all 316 S/S and do not have screw slots. They also have rolled egges so they don’t cut into the hoses. Always double clamp unless the hose barb is too short to fit 2 clamps. I have a flexible driver to tighten them, it will bend to get at the clamp screw.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
If your surveyor fails to call out missing double clamps then you know you need a different surveyor.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #12

Good point, Tilt.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Norma clamps are a good one as well if after skinny, non perforated type.
All pretty blood expensive over here especially getting up into the 3 inch plus sizes.

The Tridon T Bolt style has been the clamp of choice for many over here but they are wide and I have had several break over the years, always at the 3 pissy little spot welds.
Ridiculously over engineered with a 10mm s/s bolt but weak as piss where it counts

I now use considerably cheaper yum cha knockoffs - 4 welds vs 3 and narrower so I can double up.
Bolt is not S/S but I have had no sign of rust or failure after 3 years and at the pricepoint, cheap enough to keep a large collection on hand
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
For T bolt clamps that are not welded I use AWAB. They are pricey but are absolutely awesome. I put them on my exhaust hose coming off the engines. They were about $25 each but are really robust and have no welds.
Attached Thumbnails
7F493CB2-A018-4D0A-91EC-7667F085F35F.jpg   648A0041-D347-4429-B7CD-A3F1B156F4AE.jpg   5D86B79F-A4E6-4D82-9FAA-846E97F22214.jpg  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
If your surveyor fails to call out missing double clamps then you know you need a different surveyor.

Maybe
Maybe not
Unless things have changed or this guy has it completely wrong?

Quote:
Hose Clamps, Surveyors, and the ABYC
Does the American Boat and Yacht Council require double hose clamps?

By Ed Sherman
I recently received a common question:

I just had a boat surveyed that I am thinking of buying. The surveyor made a big deal out of the fact that the sea cocks on the boat did not have double hose clamps. He cited both USCG regulations and ABYC Standards as requiring double clamps. Is this the straight story?

This is an unfortunate misunderstanding in the industry. The truth is neither the US Coast Guard nor the ABYC require double clamps. In fact, the USCG under title 33, which covers recreational boats, does not even discuss thru-hull fittings, meaning they have absolutely no requirements in this area.

However, boats built in Europe will have double clamps because the ISO Standard that addresses such issues requires them.

As for the ABYC position, I can tell you that its regulation H-27 Standard, Sea Cocks, Thru- Hull Fittings and Drain Plugs, is tried and true. The single clamp requirement has never created any problems in the field—as long as proper, all stainless steel clamps are used. There have been cases where the use of automotive grade stainless band, cadmium plated screw mechanism clamps has caused problems. H-27 is quite specific in requiring clamps made entirely of a stainless steel that is 300 series grade or better.

The thing you need to be concerned with in this case is that the surveyor has made a very basic error, which to my mind opens up the door to questioning his or her overall competency. My advice is to get another surveyor to check out your new boat.

https://www.boats.com/how-to/hose-cl...-and-the-abyc/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Here is my collection of old clamps I changed. Tedious work but it gets you to look in areas that aren’t that obvious and to know where all your through hulls and hoses are, their condition and how to get to them.
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6909.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	116784
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 AM   #18

City: Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks View Post
Putting aside my smart ass comments above, it’s always a very good idea to double clamp hoses. If there’s not enough room to double clamp with half inch hose clamps, use narrower hose clamps and double clamp. don’t go cheap. It’s the most inexpensive insurance one can purchase. More often than not I’ve seen clamps fail. If there’s crevice corrosion, rust ( not stainless), a deteriorating screw, band cracks or any other untold failure mechanism of a clamp, there’s a secondary clamp securing the hose. Remember, while the hose may be tight even when the clamp may have “let go” ,nothing vibrates tight over time.
Makes sense for clamps that need to routinely removed but for those semipermanent uses, why not use industrial rated clamping? Two wraps of 316 3/8" Band-it will NEVER come off. I've seen it tight enough to slice through non-steel reinforced hoses.

Even for critical areas that do need the odd removal they can be secured so that its is quite easy.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:37 AM   #19

City: Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGel View Post
Here is my collection of old clamps I changed. Tedious work but it gets you to look in areas that aren’t that obvious and to know where all your through hulls and hoses are, their condition and how to get to them.
Another arguement for Band-its. One roll of tape and a box of buckles will do every size from 3x the tape width up.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #20
FF
Guru

SS clamps from an auto supply are never suitable for below the waterline , regardless of the number used.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote