Do I need to change my Big Orange Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barabus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cygnus
Vessel Make
Meridian 391
I use a Big Orange Filter to vent my black water holding tank. The tank was not full, but full enough to splash and vent about a 1/4 cup of holdings. Filter is not blocked. However, it has been contaminated and is wet. Do I need to recharge or replace my filter or will the charcoal dry out and recover from this minor contamination? If I ignore this, what problem will I potentially face down the water way?

Greetings,
Mr. B. A properly functioning tank should not need a filter. IF you still want the expense, yes, your current filter should be changed IMO and changed, yet again, the next time this occurs.

Greetings,
Mr. B. A properly functioning tank should not need a filter. IF you still want the expense, yes, your current filter should be changed IMO and changed, yet again, the next time this occurs.

It is a good point. My holding tank functions very nicely and gets a lot of O2 and No Flex. No Filter is certainly an option.

I absolutely would get rid of the filter. They block air flow and you want as much oxygen in the tank as possible.

I absolutely would get rid of the filter. They block air flow and you want as much oxygen in the tank as possible.
+1
I would and have done everything possible to have the tank work properly before resorting to a filter.
Filters guarantee the tank will stink and you are stuck with trying to contain it 100% of the time.
Plus when you consider the cost and difficulty of replacing all waste hosing due to permeating its much better IMO to eliminate the odor AT THE SOURCE!

I use a Big Orange Filter to vent my black water holding tank. The tank was not full, but full enough to splash and vent about a 1/4 cup of holdings. Filter is not blocked. However, it has been contaminated and is wet. Do I need to recharge or replace my filter or will the charcoal dry out and recover from this minor contamination? If I ignore this, what problem will I potentially face down the water way?

As others have suggested, seriously consider just removing the filter. I also wonder about the vent configuration that would allow contents to splash out of the tank. Seems like maybe not enough rise.

Removing the filter will also allow you to backflush the vent line when emptying the holding tank.

Peggie Hall is the acknowledged guru on all things head related. She has repeatedly said to get rid of them and get more air into the holding tank. She has a book that deals with smells in general around the boat. Amazon has it in both hard copy and Kindle versions.

If it works, keep it.

You have a modern sleek boat, with space below decks probably at a premium. Upsizing your vent hose as other forum members are saying, may be a difficult task. I do not have a filter on mine as I have a large diameter short run of vent line.

The argument they make is that you don't want your tank to be aneorobic, because that 8s what causes the stink.

If it is the big orange I am thinking of, it is made to be refilled. You can by a refill kit $$ or go to a pet store or Amazon and buy some pellets and raid the O-ring kit (everyone who does their own mechanical work should have an O-ring kit).

The proof is if it stinks after you flush, if you need to change it or not. If it is a few years old, I would change it. If you haven't changed it before, I would buy the kit (or at least look at one in the store) and make note of what is in there, to try and duplicate it with pet store and hardware store items next time.

Sometimes the enemy of the best, is good enough; right Voltaire?

Back
Top Bottom