DIY Dinghy Crane on sundeck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpogue123

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Merebeth
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Hi all,
Has anyone added a crane to their sundeck themselves? I have an '87 Jefferson 42 and would like to store my dinghy on the sundeck hardtop when doing the Great Loop. I have been researching and see various placements and through roof and deck treatments as well as the stern version in the picture. I have a machine shop and welding so I don't see paying to have it made.
Anyone have any suggestions from doing it or using one? Also anyone have materials recommendations in the Ct & Ma area?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• crane on Jeff.jpg
    crane on Jeff.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
A 2nd vote for Nick Jackson. Call him, and he’ll give you the correct advice.

I think I would buy a ready made pipe davit from these guys: https://www.nickjacksonco.com/pipe.htm. Then build the base yourself.

David

I see many cranes on sundeck roofs. It's a long ways up there.

The weight of the tender will dictate the design of the crane and winch selection.

The swing radius of the arm is an important consideration for where the tender rests on the roof and the ability to clear the side, unless the arm slides in and out. Long arm reach will require stronger pipe.

Nick Jackson builds excellent cranes. So does Roskelley Olsson. They ar both in the PNW.

I've had Nick Jackson design and build two pipe cranes. First one was on 10 years until we bough a heavier tender. The second one has been on for about 10 years with no issues.

I'm not familiar with details of any of the crane options or your boat. I would only suggest considering air draft planning for the loop as it can preclude some of your routes.
I wonder if there are base options that would allow removal or hinged arms that would allow the arm to be hinged lower without major efforts.

Atkins Hoyle also makes nice DIY dinghy cranes.

Agree with above that air draft is a concern as is dinghy weight, lateral roof strength, placement, and standpipe base strength. I made my own from 3.5” aluminum pipe (no backbone) which swivels on a 2.5” solid bar aluminum standpipe, bushed by a half inch teflon tube. Cost was just under a grand, capacity is 500 lbs. Reach is 66”. If I had my own welding shop, I’d do my own, for sure.

Attachments

• 6C9FD5FC-93AD-4FAB-AD38-5FEC8A9118D8.jpg
    6C9FD5FC-93AD-4FAB-AD38-5FEC8A9118D8.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 76
Low profile crane is an option if clearance is a issue.

Also have this one in my garage. Reach is 80” but it has a removable collar/pulley assembly so you can simply cut the boom to your length and bolt the collar back on. It will work with a 2.5” OD or a 3.5 ID stainless of aluminum standpipe (not included), depending on what capacity you need. Nicely welded, full backbone and winch saddle. $600.

Attachments

• 5458E157-E180-4CD8-A25F-D9FFE9569EA0.jpg
    5458E157-E180-4CD8-A25F-D9FFE9569EA0.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Thanks, where are you located? Trucking seems to be the expensive part.

Agree with above that air draft is a concern as is dinghy weight, lateral roof strength, placement, and standpipe base strength. I made my own from 3.5” aluminum pipe (no backbone) which swivels on a 2.5” solid bar aluminum standpipe, bushed by a half inch teflon tube. Cost was just under a grand, capacity is 500 lbs. Reach is 66”. If I had my own welding shop, I’d do my own, for sure.
Thanks, yours looks great! That's what I'm thinking by the time I pay shipping vs just picking up tubing in Boston area.

"Thanks, where are you located? Trucking seems to be the expensive part."

There are a number of snowbirds on this forum, why not ask who has room?

Thanks, yours looks great! That's what I'm thinking by the time I pay shipping vs just picking up tubing in Boston area.

Well, if you do end up fabricating your own, better include a low profile hinge point. It’s already pretty high up there. Atkins Hoyle has manual pipe davits with pinned hinge points using cast knuckles. Could copy one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom