Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
Vessel Name: Jenny
Vessel Model: Bristol Trawler
Water system been "asleep" for 2 years

I just bought a trawler that has been out of service for 2 years. It has a water maker that is "pickled" and some water in tanks. What should I do to make sure I have good water and should I run the water maker occasionally for good measure?
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you don't have it already, get a copy of the water maker's owners manual (maybe available on line). Units vary quite a bit, and the manuals tend to be quite specific on care and feeding as water makers produce a product for human consumption.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

How about the water tanks... should I pump out and use one of the "sweet water" chemicals and then fill?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Regarding tanks, drain and flush several times including the hot water tank. Add about one cup of bleach per hundred gallons water and pump through the system, letting sit for an hour or so before flushing again. Add about one teaspoon bleach per twenty gallons for normal operations.

As suggested, use owners manual for RO.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Agreed about getting the user's manual and, hopefully, the pickling solution has not leaked out and is still effective. Install new filter elements. Check that the pumps run, sea strainer is clear, seacock is open, selector valve at "bypass" or "sample". Run the lift pump for 10 minutes and verify that the bypass water is discharging overboard. Switch on the high pressure pump, gently increase the pressure to around 800 psi and let it run for 30 minutes. It should now be making fresh-tasting water at slightly less than the rated output. If it doesn't make fresh water, or very little, your membrane is probably toast and a new one may be the only solution.

When you have the bugs ironed out, I suggest running the system for 10 minutes every week or so using only the fresh water flush system and at very low pressure. This keeps the pumps and valves exercised and flushes the membrane. It also avoids dirtying the filters and makes distilled water for topping up the batteries.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
Agreed about getting the user's manual and, hopefully, the pickling solution has not leaked out and is still effective. Install new filter elements. Check that the pumps run, sea strainer is clear, seacock is open, selector valve at "bypass" or "sample". Run the lift pump for 10 minutes and verify that the bypass water is discharging overboard. Switch on the high pressure pump, gently increase the pressure to around 800 psi and let it run for 30 minutes. It should now be making fresh-tasting water at slightly less than the rated output. If it doesn't make fresh water, or very little, your membrane is probably toast and a new one may be the only solution.

When you have the bugs ironed out, I suggest running the system for 10 minutes every week or so using only the fresh water flush system and at very low pressure. This keeps the pumps and valves exercised and flushes the membrane. It also avoids dirtying the filters and makes distilled water for topping up the batteries.
Great advise above..
And under no circumstances run ANY water that has had chlorine in it, either from your newly flushed tanks or from a municipal water system. Chlorine and oil are two big killers of R.O. water makers.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: La Parguera
Vessel Name: VIXEN II
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
After you ascertain whether the membrane is still usable and you have made your first batch or two of RO water, you might just want to re-pickle the unit again. Watermakers tend to work forever if they are in constant use. Especially in warmer waters, the algae buildup is quick and heavy - regardless of prefiltering. If you don't need it, don't use it - keep it ready for your first cruise to the Bahamas! As an aside, most pickling treatments are only good for about six months or so. Most manufacturers recommend re-treatment at that time.
VixenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Many Thanks

Thank you all foryour helpful advice.I really appreciate it.Hope to see you on the water.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Regarding tanks, drain and flush several times including the hot water tank. Add about one cup of bleach per hundred gallons water and pump through the system, letting sit for an hour or so before flushing again. Add about one teaspoon bleach per twenty gallons for normal operations. .
I would let it sit overnight, not just one hour. And I know you sort of said this, but after adding the bleach and refilling the water tank, run each faucet until you smell chlorine, close it and move to the next one until they've all been done. Then top of the tank(s) with water and bleach.

And turn off the power to the water heater during this proceedure.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote