Diesel in drinking water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are a bit obsessive on the subject so even have a check off system to force us to double check the pump and then to double check the fill. Being handed the nozzle only half takes the dock hand out of the equation as it could be the wrong nozzle and the wrong pump turned on. Definitely a good way to ruin a day and many more days.
I do double check that the dock hand understands "diesel". Sometimes it's the dockhand who asks me to repeat jus to be sure.

Years ago someone accidentally put diesel fuel in the underground tanks for filling the (gasoline powered) trucks. A lot of people got towed in that day.

One of the things we liked about our Hatteras was all the three types of fills were completely separated by at least 20 ft from each other. We are pretty ditzy and I had heard of others having issues with the wrong thing going in the wrong place, so this was a plus in the buying process, and made input/output management a no-brainer ongoing.

Always amazed me builders putting disparate fills right next to each other. Kind of indicates the level of thought they put into the boat design.

Boat isn't long enough to have 20-foot separation, but the fuel, water, and blackwater accesses are several feet separate and labeled.

I think you should replace the tanks. Just to be sure...

It's amazing how often that is the correct answer.

And no, I don't want to pay for it.

Hmm?

I place a slice of red duct tape over my fuel fill cap slots after I cinch them up. Even if 20 feet apart I'd do it. Like many, learned the hard way years ago.

On the Hatt, the water fill was on the floor in the far starboard corner of the aft deck; you had to go through a door to get back there and wend you way through whatever furniture was present. The fuel fills were outside about 25 feet forward on the gunnel. The waste tank was another 25 feet or so away, across the raised sundeck on the starboard bow quarter. Caps labeled. There is just no way to screw it up, even if you were drunk.

On Pau Hana, the water fill is aft, about 20' from the fuel tank fills. Worst case, we get diesel in the waste tank pump out.

Fuel dock attendant usually hands me the hose. If they don't, I make sure I get it from them. I also make SURE and ask more than once "diesel, right?" My water tank fills are at the stern, and my diesel fills are near midship at least 20' away.

Ken

............... My water tank fills are at the stern, and my diesel fills are near midship at least 20' away.

Ken

Mine are the reverse. You access the fuel inlets from the cockpit, the water inlets from the dock and/or through two open windows.

My rule: leave filling tanks to the boat's master.

Like my boat's setup. All water fills are in the bow with no side walkways to the stern. Fuel fills are on the stern bulkhead 3' above the deck. Waste is through the deck in the stern. Different keys for each. Greatest risk is fuel in the waste tank.

Ted

We are unable to purchase Dawn in Australia its the only dish-washing detergent to have ever been removed from sale in Australia. It was also one of the best sellers right to the day it was removed from sale ???

Interesting, Gotta Ask: Anyone know why Dawn was removed from sales in Australia?

It's av anailable I believe under the brand, Fairy. Do not know the reasons .

I hit Google and found articles that Dawn has toxic ingredients. Wonder what really good oil remover does not?

Lets face it folks... we humans are on a slippery slope - to say the least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom