De-humidifiers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Porgy, you looked at 'both' citations? There were three. Here is a forth one, https://premaberg.com/, another one that says they will cater to the specific needs of you and your boat. That some people cant afford modern hvac systems is a seperate issue. I too often feel like I deserve more in life.
But the issue is resolved, the salt content of of onboard air can be treated, just as moisture level, and other air concerns.

Your "research" discovered that on a ship, or ship sized yacht with a budget to match, anything can be done. I challenge your research ability to produce a single citation of that sort of equipment on a <80' yacht. You've been quite circumspect on the size of boat you are considering (I am assuming from your postings you are new to boating). If you are looking at a 200' custom build then asking questions here is probably a waste of everyone's time including your own.

Your "research" discovered that on a ship, or ship sized yacht with a budget to match, anything can be done. I challenge your research ability to produce a single citation of that sort of equipment on a <80' yacht. You've been quite circumspect on the size of boat you are considering (I am assuming from your postings you are new to boating). If you are looking at a 200' custom build then asking questions here is probably a waste of everyone's time including your own.

Got it, first you didnt believe it was true, asked for citations, you get them, then admit I found the answer to the question, then expect me to do what those companies say they can do for you and your 80' boat. But sure, those experts at those companies that specialize in such products/services could be lying. I believe they could outfit your boat with a modern hvac system, one that will give you any sort of treated air you want.

Several people have commented that they had been considering upgrading to hvac systems, or better ones, but that space considerations precluded installing the systems they would have otherwise gone for. This point of space jibes nicely with a previous OP of mine regarding converting those real wide beam fishing boats, ratio 2:1, like the Famous 58s of Fed Wahl, into long distance livaboards. In that thread some people couldnt figure out what to do with the huge fish holds, while others offered practical solutions. As a side-bar to those suggestions, here is another one....use some of it for modern hvac systems! Only 58' long, but plenty of room.

Sorry about the "inflate and explode" jest. I thought people would see it as such. I guess I need to learn how to post the little smiling yellow dot.

I've had two years of ownership of this boat after having removed all the dehumidifying junk and keeping the boat ventilated. That got rid of the musty boat smell. I've had the same results with 40 years of boat ownership. Wood, steel, and fiberglass (this is my first fiberglass boat). The problem with relying on simple ventilation is that cracking a window or a couple little Nicro deck vents aren't going to be enough. Once it is understood that ventilation means ventilation, it works.

My grandmother had a big open back porch where she hung her laundry to dry. No gas/electric power clothes drying gadget. She was on the Washington coast in a high humidity temperate rain forest (between Ocean City and Copalis Beach). About 100 inches of rain 185 days a year. People may refuse to believe it, but her clothes always dried. No mildew, no musty smell. (smiling yellow dot) I know it works.

Sorry about the "inflate and explode" jest. I thought people would see it as such. I guess I need to learn how to post the little smiling yellow dot.

I've had two years of ownership of this boat after having removed all the dehumidifying junk and keeping the boat ventilated. That got rid of the musty boat smell. I've had the same results with 40 years of boat ownership. Wood, steel, and fiberglass (this is my first fiberglass boat). The problem with relying on simple ventilation is that cracking a window or a couple little Nicro deck vents aren't going to be enough. Once it is understood that ventilation means ventilation, it works.

My grandmother had a big open back porch where she hung her laundry to dry. No gas/electric power clothes drying gadget. She was on the Washington coast in a high humidity temperate rain forest (between Ocean City and Copalis Beach). About 100 inches of rain 185 days a year. People may refuse to believe it, but her clothes always dried. No mildew, no musty smell. (smiling yellow dot) I know it works.

Apolgy accepted. Thanks for your comments about ventilation, but the OP was not even about that. We know that simple ventilation is adequate for some boats/people/situations. The thread was about the high salt content of sea air. And even if you leave your windows open in stifling hot/humid places like FL in the summer, you might not get mold, but you sure will have stifling salty air, with all the deleterious effects listed above. But the thread has shown that it can be dealt with by modern hvac systems. The only problem is for those who cant afford such, or whose boats are too small or too air leaky for it. Or this scenario, youre at high lattitudes, its freezing outside......want to leave those windows open?

Last edited:
Got it, first you didnt believe it was true, asked for citations, you get them, then admit I found the answer to the question, then expect me to do what those companies say they can do for you and your 80' boat.

Absolutely none of that is true, and I will leave it there.

Absolutely none of that is true, and I will leave it there.

Or...you could find more evidence Im right by going to the permaberg.com site where "" They are specifically designed to remove sub 10 micron airborne aerosols from inlet air streams. ". The site shows that they design and install for boats way smaller than yours, like their pic of a pilot boat, usually theyre obly 50 or 60'. Also tugboats and such.

More research: "Size of sea salt aerosols ranges widely from ~0.05 to 10 μm in diameter, with most of masses concentrated in super-micron range (coarse mode), and highest number concentration in sub-micron range. Correspondingly, sea salt aerosols have a wide range of atmospheric lifetimes. As the sea salt aerosols are hygroscopic, their particle sizes may vary with humidity by up to a factor of 2. Sea salt aerosols influence the sulfate aerosol formation in different ways due to the different sizes. Very small sea salt aerosols, which are below the critical diameter for droplet activation at low supersaturations, can serve as nuclei for the growth of sulfate particles, while larger sea salt particles serve as a sink for gaseous hydrogen sulfate (H2SO4) molecules, reducing the amount of sulfate available for the formation of accumulation mode particles.[3]"

No problem, they can get it all.

For someone who likes 20% humidity...looking at boats versus desert capable RVs seems strange to me as a cruiser/adventurer.

Every time one exits the interior of the boat and roams places mostly the point of cruising .....it involves encountering a moist ( not always salty) environment.

Good luck, this is a real study in human nature. Most boaters I know HATE being cooped up inside.

Last edited:
For someone who likes 20% humidity...looking at boats versus desert capable RVs seems strange to me as a cruiser/adventurer.

Every time one exits the interior of the boat and roams places mostly the point of cruising .....it involves encountering a moist ( not always salty) environment.

Good luck, this is a real study in human nature. Most boaters I know HATE being cooped up inside.

Scenario: both of us in the 'roaring 40s', freezing outside, huge waves breaking over you at your outside helm, cold rain.......me..in my real tight comfy pilothouse, 75F, 20 or 30% humidity, no salt in the air. Scenario: we're both at anchor waiting to get thru the panama canal...100F, 95% humidity, sweating in your bunk with a lame fan on you. ME, a hundred yards away, cool air, dry, no salt in it, Most of all the times on various boats, all over, it has NOT been in my comfort zone like from 73-78, mostly humid, always salty. Same as in ports,marinas...mostly too cold or too warm, and why most are also heated and airconned, but sure, once in a while you can sit in their outdoor cafe.

Attn: Steve Dashew. After all your years of being cold and wet, I can appreciate why you now prefer your cozy 'great room' on you motor boat, with its modern hvac systems. In fact we like your fpb64 so much, we even have that on our short list, even though you can only get used ones now.

I don't post much, and have had a few beers this evening, but why, why, why, does anyone respond to JWellington's posts. He has added nothing to TF, raises totally absurd boating/trawler questions, over and over, and always antagonizes anyone that responds.

I apologize in advance, but please don't respond or answer any of his "questions" anymore. He is a troll of the highest degree and has denigrated TF too much for the high quality and informative format of discussions that can take place here.

I need another beer...hopefully I haven't transgressed any of the TF rules...goodnight.

I don't post much, and have had a few beers this evening, but why, why, why, does anyone respond to JWellington's posts. He has added nothing to TF, raises totally absurd boating/trawler questions, over and over, and always antagonizes anyone that responds.

I apologize in advance, but please don't respond or answer any of his "questions" anymore. He is a troll of the highest degree and has denigrated TF too much for the high quality and informative format of discussions that can take place here. ...
Well put, certainly he/she/it is a high functioning troll. Doubtless in the interests of brevity, you omitted to add "and a total bore".

Nice feature in the three dots section in the corner is the ability to block and ignore individuals.

I apologize in advance, but please don't respond or answer any of his "questions" anymore. He is a troll of the highest degree and has denigrated TF too much for the high quality and informative format of discussions that can take place here.

I need another beer...hopefully I haven't transgressed any of the TF rules...goodnight.

I think you did break a rule, you name called me as a troll. BTW, I contributed a lot to the thread. I was the one that researched and solved the questiin of salt content in air.

Well put, certainly he/she/it is a high functioning troll. Doubtless in the interests of brevity, you omitted to add "and a total bore".

You broke group rules by the ...troll...name calling. BTW, did you know the answer to the sea salt question?

I think you did break a rule, you name called me as a troll. BTW, I contributed a lot to the thread. I was the one that researched and solved the question of salt content in air.

:iagree:

Has long been on my ignore list, i do not see his posts.

so much "research" to answer a question nobody asked. a problem nobody is concerned with.
dehumidifiers discussion is worthy of a thread, but the weird salt thing? now ignored.

so much "research" to answer a question nobody asked. a problem nobody is concerned with.
dehumidifiers discussion is worthy of a thread, but the weird salt thing? now ignored.

If people were not concerned with the topic of this thread, why would they bother with it? And indeed, some did show interest in it, and discussed the points. Only about 3 of respondents knew the answer. This forum has many topics, those that Im not interested in, I ignore. Everybody can do the same, instead of sabotaging the OP and engaging in ad hominems, insulting the writers.

Back
Top Bottom