Old 07-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

City: W. Babylon NY
Vessel Name: Shellerina
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Davit Ideas

Greetings.
I am looking for drawings or dimensions or alternative ideas to the davit system illustrated in the following pictures. We recently took delivery of a Mainship 390 and I really want to get into having a system similar to this one. If anyone knows where I can purchase this type of system OR get access to the drawings with dimensions to this system... OR if you have one and can take some pictures with a yardstick taped to yours!!! Please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	davit-BestMate-MoniJean.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	105703   Click image for larger version

Name:	954567_0_100820101128_1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	105704   Click image for larger version

Name:	954567_0_100820101129_4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	105705   Click image for larger version

Name:	954567_0_100820101129_5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	105706   Click image for larger version

Name:	954567_0_100820101129_3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	105707  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MS390-davit1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	105708  

Capt Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

City: San Diego
Did you try to contact the guy in the 6th photo? There's plenty of welding shops and marine shops on LI south shore. Show the photos to a few places, it can be replicated easily. It needs to be custom fit for your boat and dingy.

Swfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I like the idea although I would probably want some additional anti-sway protection to make sure it was really well secured while under way.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
While it is a different style davit system, Seawise has one that lets you still use the swim platform and leave the motor mounted. Also tips the dinghy so it doesnít collect water with the plug still in.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, welcome to TF Capt Ray. However, I've taken the liberty of moving your post out of the How to use the forum area to one where it should get more exposure, and therefore, hopefully, more helpful ideas.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Dhays, yes, anti-sway is very important, on both axes. Two years ago when crossing the Gulf of Mexico from Carabelle to Tarpon Springs overnight we encountered rough conditions that were not forecast. Somehow, as things happen when boating, the lines securing our hard-shell skiff loosened causing the dinghy to swing for and aft with each wave. I heard the noise of the gunwhale slamming against the boarding ladder. The conditions were far too dangerous to go out and re-secure the dinghy in the dark, far too much pitching and rolling. The conditions were such that we had to crawl to reach the head. When we arrived in Tarpon Springs I found the dinghy hanging vertically and with the gunwhale shattered and unrepairable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I like the idea although I would probably want some additional anti-sway protection to make sure it was really well secured while under way.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, welcome to TF Capt Ray. However, I've taken the liberty of moving your post out of the How to use the forum area to one where it should get more exposure, and therefore, hopefully, more helpful ideas.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfla View Post
Did you try to contact the guy in the 6th photo? There's plenty of welding shops and marine shops on LI south shore. Show the photos to a few places, it can be replicated easily. It needs to be custom fit for your boat and dingy.
Yes... I actually did talk with the guy. Post is old. He no longer knows who owns the boat. He gets a fair number of calls about it though! LOL
Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
The conditions were such that we had to crawl to reach the head. When we arrived in Tarpon Springs I found the dinghy hanging vertically and with the gunwale shattered and unrepairable.
I was moving a boat with owner and some fam aboard with a 13-foot Boston Whaler with 40-horse OB secured athwartship on the upper deck to some wooden chocks. I told him a week ahead I didn't like the smallish eye bolts in used for the tiedowns to the chocks. We rounded Point Conception into so pretty hefty seas (upto 14 feet per the weax people), and the next thing I knew that Whaler was dancing around in my peripheral vision out to port still attached to the pivoting davit! NO WAY to go up there and do any resecuring. I am dead set against towing dinks as a standard practice, but I sure did for the next several days of that transit. I like the general arrangement of this rig the OP is Jonesing after and would add that he have some permanent securing warps possible with turnbuckles involved because boats can do some wild-ass gyrating.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Bainbridge Island Washington
Vessel Name: Elmore
Vessel Model: 1890 Custom Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
Greetings.
I am looking for drawings or dimensions or alternative ideas to the davit system illustrated in the following pictures. We recently took delivery of a Mainship 390 and I really want to get into having a system similar to this one. If anyone knows where I can purchase this type of system OR get access to the drawings with dimensions to this system... OR if you have one and can take some pictures with a yardstick taped to yours!!! Please let me know!
If you’re heading to South Florida for the winter, Pipewelders in Ft Lauderdale or a number of other fabrication shops can build that, and it’ll be cheaper than you can get it done in NY.
Caphenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I like the look of that rig for that boat. What is the actual lifting mechanism? Elbow grease? Motorized or hand cranked winch? I'd consult a good boat yard to make sure it is designed to take those various load vectors on the transom. Stabilizing the lateral beam-to beam sway could likely be accomplished by crossing lines from the dinghy's outboard bow and stern cleats down to the aft cleats of the big boat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #12

City: North of Texas
Love it! That's exactly what I had in mind when I thought the 390 was the boat for me. Seems like the best approach to speed and ease launch and retrieval while keeping the dinghy from obstructing lines of sight. Very nice to see pictures of it in action. Good luck!
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #13

City: San Diego
There are two attachment points to the hardtop, but looks inadequate to suit heavy seas. Photo three appears to show a cable leading to the hardtop just below the Naples Princess name. That's on the Gordon River in downtown Naples Bay, FL.
As a concept, it looks nice to me as well.

Swfla is online now   Reply With Quote