Old 05-16-2021, 02:36 AM   #1

City: Athens, Greece
Vessel Name: LOLITA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Danfoss grey knob identification help

Hello there, I'm new.

Well, there's no such thing as a dumb question, right?

I am in the process of familiarizing myself with the GB32. I have one question that remains unanswered;

What is the grey knob above the electrics panel to the left of the wheel. What does it do? It has "Danfoss" written on it and it seems to be a hand-wheel shut-off valve.
I am guessing it may be a left-over from past old refrigerator technology that is no longer in use. But I really do not know.
The present fridge is electric and seems to be of a recent generation operating independently of the knob.

The mystery knob appears in practically all photos of GB boats I have seen,so I trust someone will be able to enlighten me. I will try to upload a photo of my knob if I figure out how to do it.

Thanking in advance

Octaman
Octaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:01 AM   #2

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Hi Octaman and welcome,

Could be the valve for turning on the water for the windscreen washer - I think it runs off the fresh water pump
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:17 AM   #3

Thank you George for your response.

You have set me thinking!

There is a button, a push button, on the right side of the wheel with indication that it is for the windscreen washer, but so far it has not worked. I have not spent time looking into it. But it could be very well be due to the explanation that you have given. Next time I am on board I have to try it out. I shall first rotate the grey knob counter-clockwise and then press the washer button on the other side and see what happens (?)
Thank you very much for your input,

Octaman
Old 05-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #4

Here is a picture of the knob

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaman View Post
Hello there, I'm new.

Well, there's no such thing as a dumb question, right?

I am in the process of familiarizing myself with the GB32. I have one question that remains unanswered;

What is the grey knob above the electrics panel to the left of the wheel. What does it do? It has "Danfoss" written on it and it seems to be a hand-wheel shut-off valve.
I am guessing it may be a left-over from past old refrigerator technology that is no longer in use. But I really do not know.
The present fridge is electric and seems to be of a recent generation operating independently of the knob.

The mystery knob appears in practically all photos of GB boats I have seen,so I trust someone will be able to enlighten me. I will try to upload a photo of my knob if I figure out how to do it.

Thanking in advance

Octaman

Typically one sees Danfoss equipment used in cases involving heating, pressure or other highly-engineered applications. I would think it would be "overkill" to use a Danfoss valve in, for example, a windshield washer line...but that doesn't mean somebody hasn't tried it. I have no specific Knowledge of Grand Banks engineering, but I think you are possibly onto something with your refrigeration thoughts. Especially after doing a little Googling...

https://jabsales.eu/refrigeration-co...ll-valves.html

Good luck on getting to the bottom of this mystery!
Old 05-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

City: Siuntio
Unfortunately i do not have one, so no idea, and my boat is new to me, virgin voyage just few days ago......drove 210 nm in Finland, from Rauma-Nauvo-Hanko-Jussarö-Barösund-Störsvik. 29 h in total and approx 210 nm. Beautiful, from 4 degrees celsius to 27 degrees and winds from 1 m/s to 14 m/s. A journey of a lifetime to be remembered. Br Jere
jj1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1962 View Post
Unfortunately i do not have one, so no idea, and my boat is new to me, virgin voyage just few days ago......drove 210 nm in Finland, from Rauma-Nauvo-Hanko-Jussarö-Barösund-Störsvik. 29 h in total and approx 210 nm. Beautiful, from 4 degrees celsius to 27 degrees and winds from 1 m/s to 14 m/s. A journey of a lifetime to be remembered. Br Jere
Thank you very much Br Jere for a prompt response. Much appreciated. Sorry to have put you to the trouble; I was under the impression that you had a Grand Banks 32. My mistake. Enjoy your new boat. I find cruising in your area is fascinating because of the fiords and the natural beauty. I am not a big fan of low temperatures though. I associate cruising to warm weather. We are spoilt in the Med! (smile)
Old 05-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Hi Octaman and welcome,

Could be the valve for turning on the water for the windscreen washer - I think it runs off the fresh water pump
Old 05-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I have one like that on ceiling (not sure if it says Danfoss) and it turns on/off the propane to the stove from the tank above.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:13 AM   #10

Thank you Soo-Valley for your input.
Indeed, on the bigger Grand Banks I have seen the rotating knob on the ceiling.
It is helpful to know that it is for the propane supply to the stove that comes from above if I am not mistaken.
So, the location of the knob, in line, on the ceiling, between propane tank and stove makes perfect sense.
Now on the GB32 you have a propane stove to starboard, in the galley then there is/was the propane tank up above on the flybridge. And you have the Danfoss grey rotating shut-off valve on the other side, at the bridge, which, ergonomically, makes no sense as far as knob location is concerned. It is a long way for the rubber tubing to go back and forth.
Also, it is almost impossible to peek behind the knob and see what is going on. It involves taking apart the electrics panel and I have not gone down that road yet. Eventually, I may have to.
But for the moment I am going to investigate the windscreen washer option next time I am on the boat which will not be before the end of the week.
I thank you, once again, for your help.
All very interesting.
Octaman._
Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Can you look at the back side plumbing and trace it to something else? It might not be connected to anything!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #12

Thank you High Wire for your input.
You are absolutely right. It might not be connected to anything. But it would help to know why it was put there in the first place.

As I have said in my post just before yours, I may have to undo the electrics panel and look inside. The top part of the electrics panel is really close to the back of the knob.
The only other openings that allow a degree of visibility to the back of the knob are the two opening panels below the shaft of the wheel. But the knob is too high up and there are so many wires and stuff restricting the view and the wheel itself gets in the way and does not let you get close enough, that I can see nothing looking upwards.

Unless there is another way and I am not aware of this yet.

Anyhow when I experiment with the windscreen washer I will let you all know of the result.

I was actually hoping that I would come across someone on the forum that owns a GB32 and has used the knob and could easily tell me without doubt what the function is. But I have not been lucky so far in this respect. On the other hand I am very lucky to have all this feedback from all you wonderful members. With your help, I will get to the bottom of this in the end!
Thank you all.

Octaman._
Old 05-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaman View Post
Here is a picture of the knob

[IMG][/IMG]
Remove the knob and undo the 3 screws on the flange and see if it pulls out, or if you can see in there. You may see something to trace away from that location.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #14

Soo Valey - duly noted.
Will do.
I am guessing that the three screws fix into the wood and do not have backing washers and nuts. Because if they do, I will either not be able to unscrew them to remove them without a locking the nuts or the back washers and nuts will fall off and get lost somewhere. But it looks like the screws wedge into the wood, so I will try it if it comes to that.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
USB snake cameras are about $30 online. Get one that works with a smartphone or tablet. Good thing to have onboard in any case.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #16

I totally agree High Wire.
I've seen them being used and always made a note of buying one. And never did.
I guess now is the time to actually go out and get one.
Thanks.
Octaman._
Old 05-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #17

From the catalogue that ScottC sent me here is a photo of the Danfoss manually rotating shut-off valve.

[IMG][/IMG]

Assuming it is the same or similar to the one I have, the securing frame requires two opposite screws (and nuts) to hold the valve in place. therefore the three screws we talked about that are arranged at equal angles relative to each other should serve only to hold the stainless steel circular plate that we see in the previous photo that should be there for aesthetical reasons only to conceal the cut-out in the wood for the valve.

I hope I am making sense to you guys . . .
Old 05-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #18

City: Williamsburg
I have a 1980 Grand Banks 32 “Piccolo” and have the same round stainless plate above the electrics panel as you. Instead of a knob mine has a push button, a previous owner placed a label saying “windscreen washer” above it. Nothing is attached to the back and most of the windscreen washer was removed before I purchased her.
Hope this helps a little.
Charles River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:33 AM   #19

Hello Charles!
Thank you for your message and observations.
So you are a 1980-built as well. Our hull numbers should be close. On my end she is a 690.
What you write is very helpful indeed.
It concurs with what other members of this forum in this thread have been saying.
In my case, it may be that the grey rotating knob has been neutralized and has just been left there to confuse me . As I have said in a previous post I also have a push button to the right of the wheel that says "washer" but it has not worked so far.
I can't wait for Friday when I am back on the boat to experiment.
Octaman._
Old 05-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
If it is for the windshield washer, prepare for your next job of replacing the electric valve that controls the flow. It seems the valves leak, we have one over the port windshield that does. It was simpler to just turn off the flow at a valve down in the engine room instead.

If it's for propane, it'd be WELL WORTH examining the whole setup to make sure all of the hoses and valves are in good condition.

If you're going to buy an inspection camera, I've found it's best to get the kind that you use your phone as a display via wifi. This way you can rest the phone somewhere safe, in your line of sight, while you twist/turn the camera. The kind that wire directly to the phone are a hassle trying to keep it from falling, disconnecting and remaining easily visible. There are undoubtedly many options out there, but this one has served me well for the half-dozen times I've needed it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV6X4M4