Old 12-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #1

City: Fort Myers beach
Vessel Name: Universal
Vessel Model: Litton
Cutlass water line to engine

May I ask if anyone knows how to change a copper line that feeds the cutlass bearing from the exhaust. Ford Lehman 120 in a 1978 Litton Universal Trawler. Thanks
Jeff. The line is kinked. Can I disconnect or will water come in?
Clamdigger358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would go with a hose instead of copper, no vibration problems and no kinking. You may get some water but not a gusher. Have some rags and duct tape ready. Make sure your bilge pumps work. I would see what fittings are on each end and get new fittings to convert to hose barb and install a good quality hose, not cheap hose.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #3

City: Fort Myers beach
Vessel Name: Universal
Vessel Model: Litton
Cutlass water line to engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would go with a hose instead of copper, no vibration problems and no kinking. You may get some water but not a gusher. Have some rags and duct tape ready. Make sure your bilge pumps work. I would see what fittings are on each end and get new fittings to convert to hose barb and install a good quality hose, not cheap hose.
Thank you
Clamdigger358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I had no idea some cutlass bearings were water-fed (instead of just lubricated by "ambient" water). This thread also prompted me to google different kinds of cutlass bearings and now I'm not sure which spelling to use. Learn something every day on this forum.

https://www.followingseas.media/blog...that-bearing-1
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Lots of stuffing boxes use cooling water from the engine to help lubricate the shaft log. Particularly in higher speed boats because it isnít as easy for the water to get up inside the shaft log at higher speeds. And it is cutless, but lots of people say cutlass. I kinda use them interchangeably.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Lots of stuffing boxes use cooling water from the engine to help lubricate the shaft log. Particularly in higher speed boats because it isnít as easy for the water to get up inside the shaft log at higher speeds. And it is cutless, but lots of people say cutlass. I kinda use them interchangeably.
It doesn't seem to matter what the source is connected to. When I had my Cutless bearings replaced, I noted that the yard put the source water in a different place, so instead of feeding from a Y on the hose that went to the Exhaust elbow, it fed from a new barb fitting on the bottom of the charge air cooler.
Dave; When your Cutlass can slide into your Cutless, you know it is time to replace.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Single shaft vessels that have long shaft logs of more than 8 to 10 feet with cutless bearings at both ends benefit from the water feeds at the upper bearing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger358 View Post
Can I disconnect or will water come in?

Yes a small amount of water will come in. The trick is have everything laid out and ready to go before removing the old tubing. Your bilge pump can easily handle the amount of water. The water pressure is only a few pounds depending on the depth of your bearing.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #9

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
I had to replace mine in the water. The elbow into the bearing housing corroded, and snapped off. Had to drill it out and retap the hole. Not that much water came in, easy enough for the bilge pump to handle. The job took awhile, not having everything on hand, but I clamped a rag around it while I went to get what I needed. Replaced the copper with hose at the same time. Forgot what I used, maybe fuel line hose, 3/8" maybe. I think the elbow was 3/8. I replaced with nylon so it wouldn't corrode again. Couldn't find the right size in bronze.
mike66 is online now   Reply With Quote