Cuiseair SH16 problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I did a quick search and read a few posts but my issue was not listed. I used the heat for the first time today. After a few minutes of heat the breaker tripped. I reset it and it tripped right away. The A/C works fine no issues. Anyone had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Since heat mode often uses more amps than cool mode, I would put an amp clamp on the wire to determine how many amps are being used. It’s possible you have a lazy circuit breaker. It’s also possible the system was installed with inadequate wiring for heat mode or it’s possible the unit is pulling more amps than specifications call for.

The put the clamp on and the amps started at 16 and made it to 21 before the breaker tripped. I assume it is a 20 amp breaker so the issue must be some sort of resistance in the heating circuit. Any thoughts on what to look at next?

Check the size wiring that is on that circuit. Check the specs on the unit and see what size breaker is called for in the manual. Maybe it calls for a 25 amp breaker and someone used smaller wiring and a 20 amp breaker. Has it ever worked on heat mode? Check the basics first before you start ripping into the unit.

I bought the boat this past spring and the heat worked long enough to pass survey. I just had a new generator installed so I am using the heat to help load up the generator while I break it in. The heat will work for 15-20 minutes the first time you run it. Once the breaker trips it will trip again within minutes. I plan to get on the boat tomorrow night for more inspection and testing. The wiring is getting professionally replaced this winter so if I cant find the problem the tech will. The PO owned the boat for three years and never used heat only ac and always at a marina.

Back
Top Bottom