Cruise air AC/Reverse Cycle Heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Someday's Here
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42
Well since we have bought our 42 Jefferson this summer we have been getting to know her. Now we have snow in Louisiana and upper 20's temp. Never had the need to turn on the heat until now. So far both unit are running in heat mode with water discharging.
So this question?? Is this a monthly maintenance item you cycle to keep valves working and moving?? Is there other items that you know of that can be pm'ed
I am getting to know the systems faster than I thought I would need to!
Will also read the manual for tips and pm

Thoughts?? :oldman:

One thing we have learned about ours which may or may not apply to yours depending on where the circulating pump is located and how it is plumbed:

Always when the boat is hauled and sometimes when it sits for a long time, the water runs out of the sea water line and the pump loses its prime. Ours has a standpipe reaching just above the waterline to prime it. This usually works but I have occasionally had to remove the discharge line from the condenser and slip a plastic hose on so I could suck on it to get the lines filled and the water flowing.

Refrigerant switching valve is all that changes it from cool to heat. Pretty reliable item. Some even cycle the valve prior to startup just to bleed off compressor head pressure.

Do nothing but enjoy the heat!!

If water temps dip into the low 40's, just keep an eye on the discharge. If the heat output drops along with the seawater discharge volume, it's an indicator that the seawater exchanger coil is icing. It'll start to ice from the inside, you can't really see it. In that scenario, shifting the system to AC will heat the exchanger and melt the ice. Water temps would have to drop and stay low for that to occur, so it's unlikely, but possible. Just be aware of the potential, and periodically check the strainers, since low flow can exacerbate the freeze potential.

I've got heat pumps, diesel furnace, and electric boiler. The heat pumps are the most cost efficent to run, diesel furnace puts out the warmest heat, the electric boiler is the quietest. We use a mix of the heat pumps and boiler at the dock and the diesel when on the hook or if it gets down around 0 degrees, then everything is running.

As I mentioned on a different thread, always go for the reverse cycle heat pumps, you never know were your boats going to end up. Who would have thought you would need heat in Louisiana.

The cheapest/easiest way to go is to buy a couple of small space heaters ($25). If you get free electrical at the dock, why not run those sand save the expense of running expensive Cruisair units?

"The cheapest/easiest way to go is to buy a couple of small space heaters ($25)"

Just be sure the units include an overheat thermostat and a tip over switch.

The larger low temperature units that look like old radiators have no fans ,
no noise and come with the same 750V 1200w and 1500w outputs and are less likely to start fires.

One cautious note about reverse cycle units. Dont expect instant heat. Takes a while for the heat to build up.

OP lives in Louisiana. Water there is never going to get into the low 40's. LOL

Saw water temps in Titusville & Vero Beach at 42F one year, snow in Daytona. Lots of dead fish hanging in the mangroves. Brrrr!!!
Never say never!

The cheapest/easiest way to go is to buy a couple of small space heaters ($25). If you get free electrical at the dock, why not run those sand save the expense of running expensive Cruisair units?

We pay our own electric here until now was max $82/m to last months of $8/m. I have a couple of the ceramic heaters I was going to use from the RV but wanted to check out the CA's to see if they would work and how well. Thanks

One cautious note about reverse cycle units. Dont expect instant heat. Takes a while for the heat to build up.

Great Point Dan... I found that I had to run the units 15 minutes before getting a good supply of heat. :)

Refrigerant switching valve is all that changes it from cool to heat. Pretty reliable item. Some even cycle the valve prior to startup just to bleed off compressor head pressure.

Do nothing but enjoy the heat!!

Thanks Ski.. I was glad to see these units work and heat the boat with no problems. One of the reasons We bought the boat was the PO has taken care of the maintenance of equipment. Other than a few things that happen to the boat while the PO was off the boat for a while, things have seemed to working great!!

Was this Luck, Good PM, Quality Equipment, Used regularly as a Live Aboard or combo of all?? Who knows!!! :socool:

Back
Top Bottom