Crane SS cable fail with dinghy 15 feet up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6/32 installed, not 7/32. Sorry but I am not feeling much difference.
Still leaning to it jumped the pulley and damage was done to the cable.

6/32" (3/16") has .02761 square inches of cross sectional area.
whereas 7/32" has .03758 square inches of cross sectional area.

That's an increase of over 36% for the heavier cable.

For example that would be the difference between 500lb useful load and 680lbs useful load. Certainly nothing to sneeze at!

Sleeves? Please tell us more.

For example that would be the difference between 500lb useful load and 680lbs useful load. Certainly nothing to sneeze at!

My point all along was the cable able to carry the weight as described under normal conditions. Snapping like shown does not make sense without other factor. So are you saying the cable 3/16 is rated for 500# and thus was overloaded by 50% at 730#, that would explain it snapping. But then the 7/32 at 680# is also below the 730#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit

My point all along was the cable able to carry the weight as described under normal conditions. Snapping like shown does not make sense without other factor. So are you saying the cable 3/16 is rated for 500# and thus was overloaded by 50% at 730#, that would explain it snapping. But then the 7/32 at 680# is also below the 730#.

Soo-Valley, I have no idea the actual weight rating of the cable the OP had that failed. I used the numbers 500 and 680 merely to demonstrate the difference 36% would be.

....If you go with synthetic line, make sure the end is not constantly exposed to the sun. They make protective sleeves for that purpose.
Can you elaborate on this? Why would end exposure have a different effect than sunlight on the synthetic cable in general?

Mark - its only the line closer to the end that is exposed to the sun - the part wrapped on the drum is covered by the upper layers on the drum (or, in my case, a small canvas cover over the winch).

Mark - its only the line closer to the end that is exposed to the sun - the part wrapped on the drum is covered by the upper layers on the drum (or, in my case, a small canvas cover over the winch).
OK I get it... don't want to hijack this thread any further. Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom