Old 11-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Corona Del Mar
Complete water supply system overview

As my other threads have stated, I am doing a complete refit on my boat before a rather long voyage.

Attached is a system overview, a mid-level look, at the water system that will be put together, and would love everyone's input.

All lines are 1/2", Uponor, Pex A, with expansion fittings.
Heat exchangers are 220k BTU/Hr industrial, plate exchanger.

There will be a follow-up in the next day or two with the plumbing waste system design. But for now, this is for water supply side.

I designed it myself, so I am sure there are multiple issues with it, as I am not a plumber, and not a professional at this at all. Have actually never dealt with these systems before outside of changing a pressure pump.

As always, thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture10.jpg  
sndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This may be more clear
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plumbing overview 11.28.22.pdf (142.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Is there room to run that much hose?
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Is there room to run that much hose?
Surprisingly yes. It also helps that there are 2 pex manifolds in different sections of the boat.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Holy crap, I am glad my boats plumbing system isn’t that complex. You will be good with pex by the time you are done…
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I count close to 50 ball valves (!!!!), plus the valves on the Pex manifolds.
  • Is 7x30-gal water tanks correct? I assume you've worked out vents for these?
  • Also, the dock water goes into each of the 30-gal tanks. How does this work without pressurizing the tanks?
  • Looks like you have three checkvalves (circle with X)? If so, you probably don't need ball valves on either side.
  • Maybe I missed it, but I can't see a cold-water feed to the "Expansion Tank" and "Water Heater" on the center-left side of drawing.
  • You will want to use 3/4" Pex to the manifolds

Overall, it looks really complicated to me, but maybe that's just the way it is. You have four sources of hot water; the aforementioned ~50-ish valves, all running of 210-gals of water which seems pretty puny for a boat with dishwasher, W/D, etc.

Peter
Old 11-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Anacortes
Wow, that's complicated. You have 7 30 gallon water tanks?
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #8

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Is this your Christmas present to the forum? It should be good for close to 1000 posts !
Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndog View Post
This may be more clear
Quote:
Surprisingly yes. It also helps that there are 2 pex manifolds in different sections of the boat.

Ummm... what boat? Cruise ship?

I can't really read it well, but it looks like 10x more complicated than what we've got... Four shower heads in the midship bath?

FWIW, ours seems to daisy chain long runs to semi-common areas, then splits in the target vicinity. For example, one long cold run to the master head, split there to toilet, sink, and shower. Another example, one long run to galley sink, split there to galley freezer (icemaker), bridge sink, and bridge icemaker. Et cetera. And we only have one major manifold, two in, 14 out.

-Chris
Old 11-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Simple. Not even one deck fill. Unless i missed it….
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Did I miss a black friday sale on 30 gallon tanks and ball valves?
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I count close to 50 ball valves (!!!!), plus the valves on the Pex manifolds.
  • Is 7x30-gal water tanks correct? I assume you've worked out vents for these?
  • Also, the dock water goes into each of the 30-gal tanks. How does this work without pressurizing the tanks?
  • Looks like you have three checkvalves (circle with X)? If so, you probably don't need ball valves on either side.
  • Maybe I missed it, but I can't see a cold-water feed to the "Expansion Tank" and "Water Heater" on the center-left side of drawing.
  • You will want to use 3/4" Pex to the manifolds

Overall, it looks really complicated to me, but maybe that's just the way it is. You have four sources of hot water; the aforementioned ~50-ish valves, all running of 210-gals of water which seems pretty puny for a boat with dishwasher, W/D, etc.

Peter

Yes, the 7 tanks of 30 gallons each is correct. They go side by side, and trying to maneuver larger tanks to where they go would have been....challenging to say the least. It is not ideal, but works for the situation I have.

For filling a tank, the dock line goes into a manifold, and then goes out to each individual tank. It is not sealed, as it is similar to a camper tank water fill line.

For the expansion tank, my understanding is there is just one line in/out. Not one for in and one for out.

The check valves were put in place for keeping water moving in the correct direction. Many of the ball valves are used to isolate sections of the system in case an issue arises.

It is somewhat complicated as a whole, but I went about designing each system to meet the needs and then put each subsystem together.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If there is anyone that can tell me how to convert autcad to jpg with high resolution, please let me know and I will repost the image
Old 11-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Is this your Christmas present to the forum? It should be good for close to 1000 posts !

Well, hopefully not that many, and hopefully, I will learn lots more. I am by no means anything close to an expert. More like a novice who slept at a holiday inn.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Ummm... what boat? Cruise ship?

I can't really read it well, but it looks like 10x more complicated than what we've got... Four shower heads in the midship bath?

FWIW, ours seems to daisy chain long runs to semi-common areas, then splits in the target vicinity. For example, one long cold run to the master head, split there to toilet, sink, and shower. Another example, one long run to galley sink, split there to galley freezer (icemaker), bridge sink, and bridge icemaker. Et cetera. And we only have one major manifold, two in, 14 out.

-Chris
Just my boat, no cruise ship.

And yes mid-ship bath is a bit excessive, but figured if it is being completely redone, why not.

It is being controlled by a Moen U s3104 4 output shower controller. There are two shower heads, one handheld wand, and a bench with 3 shower heads above it.

I realize it is excessive, but thought it would be a nice treat.

I looked at daisy chaining things as well, as that is the way it was but thought if there is any issue, then the whole daisy chain has to be shut down till fixed. And since it was being redone (had the old grey piping that had issues) why not go to a central point so if there is an issue, easy to shut off just that fixture. Does not cost a lot more to do at this point.

The runs to the galley sink, galley fridge ice maker, opal ice maker, etc, are not very long runs at all, and all the ice makers, and filtered water taps, run 3/8" lines off a water filter unit.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Simple. Not even one deck fill. Unless i missed it….
Dock fill line is light blue. Green line near the light blue line is the water maker line
Old 11-29-2022, 06:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I would couple the tanks together with 1-1/2" fittings to form one or two tanks.

Check valves make sense. The plethora of ball valves do not. You won't need to isolate the system - just turn off pump.

You've run "home-runs" from PEX manifold to all outlets. I realize that's the cool setup these days in residential construction, but you may want to consider daisy-chaining some items. You have over 20 1/2" PEX tubes coming from the larger of the two manifolds. That's a large bundle. Every cabinet will have red/blue hoses running in the back.

Surprised you only have a 5.5kw generator. Will that be sufficient?

Right now, you have five (5) ways to heat water. Suggest reconsider using a traditional marine water heater with integral engine-loop heat exchanger. The Isotemp units get excellent reviews and would dramatically simplify your setup, and you could always expand later. If you put a lower wattage heating element in, you could support via solar and not have to load-scramble too much.

20-gal accumulator tank is way over-sized. 2-gal is already pretty big.

With 4 shower heads in your bathroom (sorry, I can't call anything with 4 showerheads a "Head"), you are going to need a pretty large watermaker. Which may drive a larger generator than 5.5kw.

I can't wait to see the HVAC diagram.....

Peter

BTW - the PDF worked fine for me, at least on PC. Not readable on a small device.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
If there is anyone that can tell me how to convert autcad to jpg with high resolution, please let me know and I will repost the image
I haven’t drawn in CAD for many years but I recall doing that fairly often. Can you “print to” pdf as an option on the software version you are in?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I haven’t drawn in CAD for many years but I recall doing that fairly often. Can you “print to” pdf as an option on the software version you are in?
I can print to PDF, the resolution is good. But when I convert, there appears to be a large loss in quality.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Complicated yes! I do understand where the OP is coming from. The system he has designed is a Cadillac not a Chevy.

The system allows him to not loose functionality in all areas due to a malfunction in just one area. It also makes maintenance quicker by being able to isolate a malfunctioning area. Lastly, this system should not suffer sudden temperature fluctuations from multiple changing water usages.

If he has the room and is willing to spend the money then making it simpler is not really an advantage.

I would label the hoses in every compartment for future maintenance simplicity.

This is too much work and complexity for me but you are not me so I won't judge.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote