Cockpit scuppers in Cape Dory 28 trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula

Hi, my husband and I are new to this forum. We just purchased a 1985 Cape Dory 28 trawler (“Cruiser”). We absolutely love her, she’s been well taken care of by previous owner. However we’re having a problem with the cockpit drains. There are flaps at the transom which drain fine, but there are cockpit scuppers at the edges of the cockpit on both port and starboard sides. Portside seems to be draining OK, but starboard side not draining at all, and actually appears to drain in the bilge. When we ran the bilge pump, water bubbled up out of the starboard scupper and drained out of Portside hull fitting. Anyone familiar with this configuration who can offer any advice? Thanks!

I owned a Cape Dory 28 some years ago and understand those scuppers. There is a 1" or so hose that goes from the scupper drain fitting down and makes a sharp 90 degree turn and out the transom. Mine would get plugged up from time to time so I would push a hose into the scupper and try to blast out the trash. 90% of the time it worked. If it didn't I got a metal electrical fish tape and pushed it through. That would do the job.

But yours also sounds like there may be a hole in the hose and it needs to be replaced. Good luck, it will take someone with monkey arms to get to it.

David

Welcome. I've always admired the CD 28.

I had a similar cockpit drain configuration on my Mainship 34, and as David described had to clean the pipes out now and again. In my case I was able to back flush with a small pressure washer to clear the one serious plug I had.

It sounds like your bilge pump pumps into the cockpit drain, which seems unusual and potentially problematic. I'd poke around to see how that's connected. Probably done by a previous owner.

I've owned and worked on several Cape Dory's. I have seen the bilge pump tied into the scupper hose, bad idea. I would suggest you replace the hose and put in a dedicated bilge pump overboard discharge. You do need to clear the scuppers frequently however by the above suggested methods. I prefer bigger scuppers at the deck level as I fish and fish "residue" clogs hose pretty quickly.

You mentioned a 90degree turn.... can you change it to 2X45 with a short (3"inch) hose between the 90s?

The 90 degree turn I mentioned above is all hose, but a tight turn.

David

IMO, the 90 discourages flow. If possible, cut the hose and put in a 45.
It will not only encourage flow but easier to blow out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom